New Haplo kepper here!!!!

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Hi, I recently just acquired a juvenile Haplopelma Vonwirthi that I bought a few days ago, I'd say about 4 or 5 days, after she had molted she is about 3-4 inches and I gave her about 5-6 inches of substrate to burrow, the humidity is at 75-85 percent and the temperature is at 75-80 and is regulated by a space heater in the room, she has a water dish and a few plants and moss that I picked up at the pet store, she also has a hide for her to retreat in but she has not gone in she mostly hangs out in the open or on the humidity and temperature gauges on the side of the tank, what I'm wondering is if there is anything I'm doing wrong since she has not eaten, I've given here 2 large crickets and they walk by her and she doesn't even go for them, I would really appreciate some advice. thanks guys
IMG_2129.JPG IMG_2148.JPG

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
1. Ditch the hygrometer, they’re pretty much useless. Just keep the substrate mostly moist (NOT soaking wet).

2. More substrate would be better. I’d shoot for 7-8” depth minimum considering the size of yours.

As for not eating, just give it time to settle in. I’d wait for it to establish a burrow before attempting to feed.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
She looks in great shape. You could give her some more soil depth. You will get up one morning soon and find she has burrowed to the bottom. They are super shy and light sensitive, just give her space.

She looks like she is reading the gauges, lol

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Congratulations on the new addition. It is a nice species.

Though as it is fossorial it will need double that amount of substrate in order to make its proper burrows.

As for the not eating, it may not be hungry. Try again in a week.

Ps. The gauges are useless. That isnt a heat bulb is it?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They need time for settle. They need time for start the burrow, those spiders are the quintessence of 'pet holes', and, if they don't burrow, there's a problem.

So wait.

You were a bit of a 'substrate Scrooge' IMO for the inches of substrate offered (I say at least 7/8 min.) but ok. Don't follow 'humidity numbers %', when the substrate is slightly moist is fine.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
When did it moult? You should wait a week or so after a moult before you try to feed it. It can also take a couple of weeks for them to settle into a new enclosure. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just give it some time and try feeding it again :)

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
1. Ditch the hygrometer, they’re pretty much useless. Just keep the substrate mostly moist (NOT soaking wet).

2. More substrate would be better. I’d shoot for 7-8” depth minimum considering the size of yours.

As for not eating, just give it time to settle in. I’d wait for it to establish a burrow before attempting to feed.
Thank you for the advice, but I forgot to mention, I've noticed she hasn't seemed interested in digging her burrow either, is there a reason for that?

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Congratulations on the new addition. It is a nice species.

Though as it is fossorial it will need double that amount of substrate in order to make its proper burrows.

As for the not eating, it may not be hungry. Try again in a week.

Ps. The gauges are useless. That isnt a heat bulb is it?
It is a heat lamp but it is sitting on a layer of damp paper towels, so i can control the humidity better, and this is the depth of the substrate IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2163.JPG

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Thank you for the advice, but I forgot to mention, I've noticed she hasn't seemed interested in digging her burrow either, is there a reason for that?
She’s probably just still getting settled in. As others mentioned, make sure to get rid of the heat lamp and just give her some time and privacy, she’ll burrow eventually. Some Ts just take longer than others to feel “comfortable” in their enclosures.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Thank you all so much for your help, if there's anything else i would love to hear what you have to say, feel free to PM me, thank you guys again