New H.Gigas enclosure & video her swimming!!

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome, doing a great impression of a diving bell spider (Argyroneta aquatica) lol

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Rob, forgot to ask on my first reply. Re the water, does it have to be at a tepid type temp? also, how do you propose to manage its quality, ie, stop it going stagnant?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Rob, forgot to ask on my first reply. Re the water, does it have to be at a tepid type temp? also, how do you propose to manage its quality, ie, stop it going stagnant?
That was just a test tank for a day to see if she really did like the water (and she did). I posted the new finished enclosure...it has a filter that can filter in 2" of water. I declorinated the water first and then the filter should keep it good.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was just a test tank for a day to see if she really did like the water (and she did). I posted the new finished enclosure...it has a filter that can filter in 2" of water. I declorinated the water first and then the filter should keep it good.
were is the new one posted at

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is facinating! What gave you the idea to try her out in water? How do her lungs stay dry, zillions of little bubbles?

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The whole thing is just amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! What kind of fish did you buy for her to eat?

It now makes me wonder if other tarantulas can swim and do the same thing too?

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was truly amazing can't wait for the feeding video that will be awesome.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is facinating! What gave you the idea to try her out in water? How do her lungs stay dry, zillions of little bubbles?
I had a gigas a while back and ended up getting rid of her after she had a sac (she was cool but I had no idea how cool). I had heard they liked water but didn't know to what extent. I did more research after I had gotten rid of that one and learned a lot more about the Sp.
From what I've read, they can hold their breath for 24hrs as long as part of a leg is out of the water...they somehow transfer air through their leg bristles. I've also heard they'll molt on or above the water - they lay a silk mat. They are an amazing T...I'm not aware of any other T's that do this but there could be others...

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The whole thing is just amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! What kind of fish did you buy for her to eat?

It now makes me wonder if other tarantulas can swim and do the same thing too?
The fish I put in there are captive bred (no disease) minnows...and you have to dechlorinate the water first. Rob

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No oil on the spider

I think i hear u saying something about oil on the spider, because the air surrounds it.
Well..im pretty sure thats not the case :)
But simply because of all the small fine hairs on its body and i think many other spider will have the same ability.
Maybe not when i comes 2 swimming.
But u would think most rainforrestspecies would be able 2 swim.

Funny video thoug :)