New guy comin in!

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone!

Just got my first ever T From my Neighbor MrT (Got it for free!;P )
Im having a few questions that im not seeing on any websites. Its a 2 1/2 year old Highway 10 Desert Blond. Does it ever come out if its burrow?:? I know that since its in the winter, it slows down and isnt Active much, But it hardly EVER moves.. What kind of crickets should i feed it? And is it ever a Hostile T? Have alot of other dumb questions you guys have probably heard 100+ Times... But ill post em some other time. Hope to get to know you all soon :D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Hey everyone!

Im having a few questions that im not seeing on any websites. Its a 2 1/2 year old Highway 10 Desert Blond. Does it ever come out if its burrow?:? I know that since its in the winter, it slows down and isnt Active much, But it hardly EVER moves.. What kind of crickets should i feed it? And is it ever a Hostile T? Have alot of other dumb questions you guys have probably heard 100+ Times... But ill post em some other time. Hope to get to know you all soon :D
Well, this MrT guy must be some nice neighbor, LOL

Welcome to the group DiStUrBeD-OnE. :)
I know you'll have fun and learn a bunch about Tarantula's and who knows what else. LOL
The spider will come out of its burrow, but mostly at night.
One way to get it more active is to raise the heat. At my house it stays about 72 - 75 degs., so if its warmer at your house the T will become more active.

Ernie

BTW, for you wondering what the heck is a highway 10 Desert blonde?
Its described as Aphonopelma Sp. Highway 10 in Andrew M. Smiths book, Tarantula's of the USA and Mexico.
I collected it just East of Tucson by I-10.
If you've never seen or looked at that book, you should. Before seeing it I thought there were 5 or 6 Aphonopelma sp. in Az..
Well, theres way more than that. This Highway 10 Sp. was described by one T caught in that area. I gave 3 females and a male to a guy here who does field collecting with a professor from the University of Kansas. They were sent to this professor in Kansas, I can't remember his name, and he is going to study them further and do whatever it is that they do.

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the russian female voice of Reunion :
Welcome.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as it being hostile, it could get defensive if you spook it. But I've found this type of T to be very calm. After you've had it a while, you might want to hold it. When that time comes, if it does, let me know and I'll help you. ;)

Ernie

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ian,
Please don't take the lack of replies to your thread as the norm.
I don't know whats up. In most cases, NEW MEMBERS are welcomed with many replies and well wishes. Anyway dude, I'm happy your here and I'm here to help you in any way I can.

Ernie

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, I hope you enjoy it here. And learn alot of interesting tarantula information. You do know that one isn't enough in this hobby. You can't buy just one. They are very addictive. Anyway glad to have you here. :) Pam

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Hey everyone!

Im having a few questions that im not seeing on any websites. Its a 2 1/2 year old Highway 10 Desert Blond. Does it ever come out if its burrow?:? I know that since its in the winter, it slows down and isnt Active much, But it hardly EVER moves..

It's normal for North American Aphonopelma to be inactive this time of year. Mine pretty much hole up and refuse to eat from late October through early April. Those new to the hobby sometimes find this disappointing, but fortunately there is an easy solution: acquire more tarantulas!

What kind of crickets should i feed it?

Domestic (farm-raised crickets) are safer than wild-caught, as being less prone to pesticide contamination and other problems. Ones you raise yourself are safer still, but unfortunately raising crickets brings its own set of problems. Many people object to the noise and the escapees, and almost everyone objects to the smell!

As mentioned above, your tarantula may refuse to eat any kind of crickets this time of year. The best thing to do is to put a cricket in with it, and if the tarantula doesn't eat it within twelve hours or so, remove it and wait a week to try feeding again.

And is it ever a Hostile T?

As a rule, North American Aphonopelma are very good-natured, but like most rules, this one has an occasional oddball exception :p

Welcome to the club!

Joy

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Welcome to this board. You are now part of a very disturbed society of drug addicts who all have this mass psychotic hallucination that drugs have 8 legs and move around.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WELCOME!

Welcome to the board man! And welcome to the hobby as well. If you are anything like me or 99% of the other people here this will be the start of a total or at least a semi-obsession.

You are going to love it. You will see what I mean when your T starts to become a little more active. Whoever said that keeping and watching fish was the best stress reliever never had a tarantula! The way they move is so slow and methodical its a very calming thing and they are so interesting to learn about too!

Anyway, Welcome and I hope you like it. We are looking forward to getting to know you as well.

-Charlie

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to this board. You are now part of a very disturbed society of drug addicts who all have this mass psychotic hallucination that drugs have 8 legs and move around.
He's right, ya know. But at least it's legal and stores good in the winter...lol. Welcome to the board, friend. Sorry I would have replied sooner but I have been at work and out to a movie. "Darkness Falls" which by the way was kinda cool but overall it sucked. Again, welcome and I hope we can all be of good service to you. God bless.

In Him,
Marcus