New Grammostola pulchra sling coming

03ISA

Arachnopeon
Hello and thank you,

I have a new Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian Black) sling arriving tomorrow. I setup it's new terrarium today. Since its only my second T and first sling I wanted to check in with those willing to help. I imagine slings are more sensitive and fragile I want the terrarium to be right. I believe it may be a bit large but I didn't thank that would be to bad. I will post what i created. I will also put up the back-up in case the desired terrarium is all jacked up.

A couple quick qestions:
1: Will water I provide come from misting (T drinks drops) or should I place a small thimble of water?
2: The empty glass enclosure uses gorilla glue to fasten the mesh to the lid. Could that be bad for the sling? If so, please recommend an alternate adhesive.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Actually, I wouldn't use either one of those enclosures. The plastic one seems a bit high and with those sticks it looks more suitable for an arboreal species, if at all. ;) And I wouldn't recommend glass enclosures where you can't get any cross ventilation and especially not with a mesh lid, where they can get their tarsals stuck.

Depending on the size of the sling I'd get a 2 or 4 oz condiment cup or something else appropriate in size and just add some substrate and a tiny water dish (if it fits). Make some vent holes with a safety pin in the sides and some in the lid. I'd moisten down half of the enclosure, so your little one can decide for itself where it likes to hang out and can have a drink from the substrate as well (no misting needed). Maybe get a small piece of cork bark or a fake leave for hiding in as well.

Just don't give it too much space or you'll encourage extensive hiding and a bad feeding response. ;)

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
How big is the sling? Depending on the size the first one may work. As Thekla said a 2-4 ounce condiment cup is probably your best option though

03ISA

Arachnopeon
the sling is going to be approximately 1-1.25". I took second set of twigs out. It doesn't really go upwards anymore. I also made another terrarium. One possibly closer to the recommendations I've received. If the First one is not unsafe, I'd still prefer to use it. Let me know about the update vs new build.

Attachments

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
the sling is going to be approximately 1-1.25". I took second set of twigs out. It doesn't really go upwards anymore. I also made another terrarium. One possibly closer to the recommendations I've received. If the First one is not unsafe, I'd still prefer to use it. Let me know about the update vs new build.
Still way too tall. Here's what I use for my slings, they don't need much space and this way there's no risk of falling. 20180806_213251.jpg 20180806_213306.jpg

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Little slings get lost in big enclosures, they dig in and seal themselves in and don’t eat and grow.

2oz deli cup with some substrate will be fine, decorations are for the keepers, not the spiders.

A few drops of water twice a week on the side of the enclosure and she’ll be fine.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First one is fine. 1”+ is not really that small. Pulchra like to dig too, so that extra height may be used for digging. You can add another inch of substrate and it will be perfect

03ISA

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to say thank you. Everyone has been helpful and respectful. Makes me wonder if this is still the internet... Either way I really appreciate all the advice!! My sling is being held at the our local Fed-ex (per my request, its really hot). I'm going to go out and pick him/her up. I'll put up pictures of the final terrarium.

03ISA

Arachnopeon
NEW ISSUE

My sling arrived minus two legs.... It's still alive but didn't really move a lot. I was using a soft paint brush to encourage the transfer and it did walk into the new terrarium. I understand legs can/will come back in future molts but what are the challenges i'll face with a less than full health sling? I understand they are all ready fragile. I spend 140$ (with shipping) and don't want this sling to die. I did sent the shipper (Backwater reptiles) an email with a picture regarding the slings condition. Nazneen legs.jpg Nazneen.jpg Nazneen I.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
First of all, your new enclosure looks almost perfect, now just put a little water dish in, moisten the substrate a bit, and your little sling will surely be comfortable. :)

As for the missing legs (and if I'm not mistaken it's also missing its pedipalps :(), yes, they will grow back with the next moult(s). As long as its fangs aren't broken, it probably won't have too much problems. I'd feed it with pre-killed feeders though, for example, mealworms with their heads crushed.

In what kind of container did it arrive? And how was it packed? Even while I'm not living in the US, I only heard horrible stories about that dealer. :eek: I hope they will be forthcoming, but I somehow doubt it. :sour:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I did sent the shipper (Backwater reptiles) an email with a picture regarding the slings condition.
Don't expect to hear back from them. They are the worst people to order from, as it looks like you found out yourself. Either way losing a few legs isn't a big issue for a sling, they'll just grow back in a few molts. Also 140 bucks for a G. pulchripes sling seems pretty steep... even with shipping... another reason not to order from them again.

03ISA

Arachnopeon
I did hear back. I wan't impressed with the answer. "I packed it personally, I'm surprised..." just told us to feed it pinhead crickets..

My family and I are addicted though. I had to go to Petco for some random supplies. Came back with this little guy/girl.

I figured to it did not deserved Petco. It's an Argentinian Black or Grammostola Iheringi (I hope)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NEW ISSUE

My sling arrived minus two legs.... It's still alive but didn't really move a lot. I was using a soft paint brush to encourage the transfer and it did walk into the new terrarium. I understand legs can/will come back in future molts but what are the challenges i'll face with a less than full health sling? I understand they are all ready fragile. I spend 140$ (with shipping) and don't want this sling to die. I did sent the shipper (Backwater reptiles) an email with a picture regarding the slings condition. View attachment 283207 View attachment 283208 View attachment 283209

To be honest, you should have come here first to ask who is a good/bad seller. SLACKWATER reptiles is a KNOWN jerk of a seller with more complaints again them then Harvey Weinstein has women saying he allegedly raped them.

2 legs not an issue for any T in good health.

Also, I'll be shocked if you have a true G. pulchra given who you bought it from. Wouldn't be surprised if you end up with Aphonopelma eutylenum

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That pulchra sling looks really really pale, like it molted just before being packed for shipping. Could be why it lost its legs. I’ll also give you about a 50% chance it’s actually a pulchra.

You got an iheringi from petco???? Where’d they get that? Very desirable T. Could be a G. actaeon, but that’s just as good. Awesome species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My family and I are addicted though. I had to go to Petco for some random supplies. Came back with this little guy/girl.

I figured to it did not deserved Petco. It's an Argentinian Black or Grammostola Iheringi (I hope)
Id be surprised if that's an iheringi but can't rule it out based on 1 pic. If so, great! You may know once it hits about 4-5". G actaeon and G. iheringi look identical until about that size when they molt, the actaeon loses the bright cherry red color and iheringi keeps it. Otherwise behavior and size pretty much the same. Iheringi is slightly larger

03ISA

Arachnopeon
Murphy.jpg Ahhh, either/or it's a win for me. Petco isn't the proper home for any species of Tarantula.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
$140!? What was it before shipping? Is that normal for a G. pulchra in the US? I got mine for $60 CAD (not including shipping) though they usually go for $80 CAD.

GhostHost

Arachnopeon
Next time you should check out FearNotTarantulas. Ive ordered several t's from them and they are great. Perfect, healthy beautiful t's with enclosures. Tanya runs the place and emails u back immediately if u have questions. She gives freebie t's and is just an all around awesome supplier. Good luck with your beebee's. :)