New genus Pseudoclamoris with a Tapinauchenius revision

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Hüsser, Martin. 2018. A first phylogenetic analysis reveals a new arboreal tarantula genus from South America with description of a new species and two new species of Tapinauchenius Ausserer, 1871 (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae).

Link: https://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=26521

Abstract:

Based on molecular and morphological phylogenetic analyses a new genus of Theraphosidae is described, Pseudoclamoris gen. n. Tapinauchenius gigas and Tapinauchenius elenae are transferred to Pseudoclamoris and a new species of Pseudoclamoris from the Amazon Region is described: P. burgessi sp. n. Two new species of Tapinauchenius from the Caribbean are described: T. rasti sp. n. and T. polybotes sp. n. Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus is considered a nomen dubium. Psalmopoeinae subfamily is diagnosed based on molecular and morphological phylogenies, and Pseudoclamoris gen. n. and Ephebopus Simon, 1892 are included. A taxonomic key for Psalmopoeinae genera Tapinauchenius, Pseudoclamoris, Psalmopoeus, and Ephebopus is provided.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Tapinauchenius sp. Caribbean Diamond/Union Island now has been described as Tapinauchenius rasti so time for me to update some labels.

I may get a second in the hopes of getting a male to go with my female... Still upset that I called her "Caicos" because the only reference to "Caribbean Diamond" I could find was to a resort in the Turks and Caicos.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tapinauchinius sp union island = rasti
T. Sp Columbia = Pseudoclamoris burgessi
(Note* gigas and elenae also transferred here)
T. sanctivincenti = Polybote
Ephebopus and Pseudoclamoris added to Psalmopoeinae.

https://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=26521

Have to say I'm really happy about this. Love these revisions

@Nightstalker47 Canadians can finally label those union island tappies lol.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So are T. gigas and T. elenae now P. gigas and P. elenae, or were the species names changed too?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Click the link to the paper?
I did :rolleyes: and couldn't find the answer to my question. Perhaps I missed it among all the taxinomical explanations, but if you happen to know the answer would you be a dear and share it instead of being condescending?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I did :rolleyes: and couldn't find the answer to my question. Perhaps I missed it among all the taxinomical explanations, but if you happen to know the answer would you be a dear and share it instead of being condescending?
Last paragraph of the introduction. Not too far into the paper. I'm not trying to be condescending, just a little effort goes a long way......:)

"During the process of revising Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus, significant morphological traits in certain species of the genus Tapinauchenius were revealed (see Figs 2, 13). These features have been studied and were included in the morphological cladistic analysis. In addition, tissue samples were sequenced for molecular phylogenetic analyses. Combined analyses lead to the establishment of a new genus to accommodate two Tapinauchenius species: Pseudoclamoris gen. n., comprising Pseudoclamoris gigas comb. n., Pseudoclamoris elenae comb. n., and Pseudoclamoris burgessi sp. n. Morphological and genetic material from two Caribbean Islands lead to the description of two new species of Tapinauchenius: Tapinauchenius rasti sp. n. from Union Island, Lesser Antilles and Tapinauchenius polybotes sp. n. from the island of Saint Lucia, Lesser Antilles."

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yes, they are both now Pseudoclamoris. Was literally in the first paragraph of the article. :cool:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Yes, they are both now Pseudoclamoris. Was literally in the first paragraph of the article. :cool:
She was asking if the species name had also changed. They can not fully change a species name that has been already described and has not been found to be already described previously(in that case it would be changed to the earliest descibed name). They would only change it slightly to reflect the gender of the genus name but in this case it was not needed.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I read that too quickly, missed the last part. @Teal My bad lol, thought you were asking the genus name, I was like really?
She was asking if the species name had also changed. They can not fully change a species name that has been already described and has not been found to be already described previously(in that case it would be changed to the earliest descibed name). They would only change it slightly to reflect the gender of the genus name but in this case it was not needed.
Right, I would have expected you to share it in your OP if that was the case, your pretty thorough most of the time.

There are two identical threads in The Q&D section on this btw, just an FYI.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I read that too quickly, missed the last part. @Teal My bad lol, thought you were asking the genus name, I was like really?

Right, I would have expected you to share it in your OP if that was the case, your pretty thorough most of the time.

There are two identical threads in The Q&D section on this btw, just an FYI.
Tell @Venom1080 he's slow and he should delete his. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I put mine into simple easy to understand terms. ;) Much simpler to understand.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
:rolleyes:

I take it your joking?

Your the Mod dude, we cant delete threads.
Unless it has changed when we switched from vbulletin, any user can delete their own thread within the first 24 hours of its posting.

I put mine into simple easy to understand terms. ;) Much simpler to understand.
Like this? :)

Based on sciencey words, a new breed of choo-ran-choolas is described, Pseudoclamoris. Tapinauchenius gigas and Tapinauchenius elenae are now in the genus Pseudoclamoris and a new species of Pseudoclamoris from the Amazon Region is described: P. burgessi. Two new species of Tapinauchenius from the Caribbean are described: T. rasti and T. polybotes . Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus is no longer a spider. Psalmopoeinae subfamily is diagnosed based on science, and Pseudoclamoris and Ephebopus Simon, 1892 are included. A sciencey key for Psalmopoeinae genera Tapinauchenius, Pseudoclamoris, Psalmopoeus, and Ephebopus is provided.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Unless it has changed when we switched from vbulletin, any user can delete their own thread within the first 24 hours of its posting.

Like this? :)

Based on sciencey words, a new breed of choo-ran-choolas is described, Pseudoclamoris. Tapinauchenius gigas and Tapinauchenius elenae are now in the genus Pseudoclamoris and a new species of Pseudoclamoris from the Amazon Region is described: P. burgessi. Two new species of Tapinauchenius from the Caribbean are described: T. rasti and T. polybotes . Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus is no longer a spider. Psalmopoeinae subfamily is diagnosed based on science, and Pseudoclamoris and Ephebopus Simon, 1892 are included. A sciencey key for Psalmopoeinae genera Tapinauchenius, Pseudoclamoris, Psalmopoeus, and Ephebopus is provided.
That's the stuff. :pompous:

Merge at will I suppose. :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Last paragraph of the introduction. Not too far into the paper. I'm not trying to be condescending, just a little effort goes a long way......:)

"During the process of revising Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus, significant morphological traits in certain species of the genus Tapinauchenius were revealed (see Figs 2, 13). These features have been studied and were included in the morphological cladistic analysis. In addition, tissue samples were sequenced for molecular phylogenetic analyses. Combined analyses lead to the establishment of a new genus to accommodate two Tapinauchenius species: Pseudoclamoris gen. n., comprising Pseudoclamoris gigas comb. n., Pseudoclamoris elenae comb. n., and Pseudoclamoris burgessi sp. n. Morphological and genetic material from two Caribbean Islands lead to the description of two new species of Tapinauchenius: Tapinauchenius rasti sp. n. from Union Island, Lesser Antilles and Tapinauchenius polybotes sp. n. from the island of Saint Lucia, Lesser Antilles."
I wasn't sure what the "comb. n." meant... I thought maybe it meant they weren't done changing things or something.

Gee, I'm so glad you took the time to try to make me look stupid :p

Ahh, thank you! I was wondering about the mention I had seen recently regarding T. psychedelicus getting a whole new name, but I just found your post on that saying it was merged with the other because they were found to be the same species.

It's okay, I'll forgive your lack of reading comprehension this time :rofl:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Glad I don't have any tappies yet, I don't have to change labels. Still, I am adding this to my notes for when i do get some.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hmmm... Back in February of this year, the master's thesis of a Brazilian grad student on a revision of the genera Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius was made available on the internet. I wonder if we are going to see another publication on the same subject in the near future.

click click

birdspidersCH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you all!

Hmmm... Back in February of this year, the master's thesis of a Brazilian grad student on a revision of the genera Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius was made available on the internet. I wonder if we are going to see another publication on the same subject in the near future.

click click
can you show me where the exact master is downloadable?

cheers

boina

Lady of the mites
Unfortunately the presentation of the molecular data is rather weak. I'm not a morphologist so I can't comment on the quality of the morphological data but I do know about genetics and the description of the molecular methods makes me wince. It would be too technical to describe my misgivings, but all I'm trying to say here is: I'd take the molecular data with a large bit of salt. They may be fine, or they may not - from the way they are presented (or rather: not presented) it's impossible to evaluate their value.

Let me just say this: those genetic trees are based on statistical models. Every statistical model can be tweaked in various directions. The authors do not describe at all how they arrived at that particular tree presented in Fig. 16, only which program they used. That's not enough by a long shot. Why are there such extremely large differences in probability in the two different models used, especially at crucial points? Pseudoclamoris seems only supported with 54% probability in one model!!! And the sequences used were too short for a good evaluation on a species/genus level anyway.
And before that: How did they even align the sequences? Was there manual correction? What about hypervariability in the rRNA genes? And what were the PCR parameters anyway...

Based on the molecular data alone I'm not willing to accept a genus Pseudoclamoris, but there are morphological data as well and from my rather limited understanding those seem more solid, sooo...