1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New/First Ts!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by lateapexpredator, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    Received the package this morning. I present to you folks Samsquanch the T. Stirmi, and John Denver the N. Coloratovillosus.

Samsquanch was named because my wife and I have been watching Trailer Park Boys a lot, and that's how Bubbles says Sasquatch, which are brown and hairy like the T. Stirmi. She (hopeful thoughts!) is about 2 1/2" I think, and has found the flower pot hide in her 18 gallon long aquarium. I know glass aquariums aren't ideal for these spiders since cross ventilation is a must with the high humidity, so let it be known I have an XL adult cage from Jamie's Ts in the mail already. I also know that these aren't beginner Ts, but I've been reading non-stop about them for a good while and am confident in my knowledge about them to make sure she's comfy and able to thrive in her enclosure. Her substrate is deep without too much space between the lid, which is acrylic, and moist but not wet. She has a hide but plenty of space to explore if she needs it, and she just had her first mealworm in my care!

John Denver, named because it has "colorato" in it's species name, is VASTLY smaller than I had expected. I have it in a critter keeper about 5x3 or so with a Snapple cap as a water dish, which s/he has also adopted as a burrow. I'm going to see how s/he does in there but may move her into a condiment cup. However, so far, s/he seems to be doing well.

I'm up for any advice or comments, including the "wtf were you thinking with T. Stirmi as first T" stuff. Expect a lot of updates/pictures/questions in the future.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnopeon

The T.stirmi is an awesome tarantula to own so you did good there and trailer park boys is a great show. My favorite characters are Randy, Mr lahey and j rock. Good job on your new tarantulas my only suggestion for you is give your stirmi a good hide with plenty of moist substrate to make a burrow with and plenty of ventilation so you don't grow mold and you will be fine. The t.stirmi is a hardy tarantula, I have one I raised as a sling in 2009 and its been super easy to keep. Good luck bro.

3. Shawnda

Shawnda Arachnopeon

4. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnopeon Active Member

Something to note is that both of the tarantulas you have are terrestrial. This means that you really want to minimize the amount of height in the enclosure. Terrestrial Ts will often try to climb, but they are not particularly good at is, so they fall. If they fall too far there is a risk of potentially fatal injury. The usual advice is to have no more that 1.5x the Ts legspan between the top of the enclosure and the substrate.

I can't tell from your pictures, but I think you should add a bit more substrate to reduce height.

5. Will do.

Sam's enclosure has moss around the edges that should help, but I'll re-measure and make sure it's got enough.

As for the John the tiny sling, are 1/4" slings as at risk as when they are larger for damage from a fall? It seems like he wouldn't weigh enough to be a danger to himself, but I will add some more to be safe. I think I'm going to dig his water cap in a bit and make a makeshift burrow under it as well. It's sitting on a lower spot as of right now that he seems to enjoy hiding under.

6. WoofSpider

It's not as big of a concern for smaller slings. And when they are at that size it's more usefully to have a bit of distance just so they are not right on the top when you open the enclosure.

7. WoofSpider

Looking at your pictures again though, I don't think that enclosure is ideal for a sling as small as your Nhandu. It is going to have a tough time finding prey items with all that space to search. All that open space might also be intimidating, so don't be surprised if it takes to burrowing.

8. I'm watching it to see how it does. I have a few options if I decide it's not going to thrive in there. However it was munching on a piece of meal worm I put next to it's makeshift hide this morning, so for now it seems OK.