New enclosure

Wilderman204

Arachnopeon
Just moved my Grammostola porteri into a new enclosure. I’ve had her for over ten years now.
Substrate is a mix of coco fibre, coco husk, and play sand. Hide is made of cork bark, and goes down into a deep burrow which she has been using already

Attachments

Last edited:

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the boards and grats on the long lived T. Truthfully, I would highly suggest just using coco fiber substrate and adding a lot more substrate in that tank to where the space between the substrate and the lid is 1 and a half times the leg span of the spider itself to prevent injury if it were to climb the sides of the enclosure. There have been debates on here over the use of sand and getting stuck on the book lungs and causing the tarantula to die. They don't need moisture in the substrate, so keep dry with just a full water dish, overflow once a week to once every 2 weeks.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I don’t know if 2 or 3 inches is very deep considering its leg span looks almost double that

Wilderman204

Arachnopeon
I don’t know if 2 or 3 inches is very deep considering its leg span looks almost double that
It’s about 5” deep at the back, the substrate slopes to the back. I’ve given her deep substrate before. And in the ten plus years I’ve had her she’s never even attempted to dig, ever, in several different types of substrates I’ve tested

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
It’s about 5” deep at the back, the substrate slopes to the back. I’ve given her deep substrate before. And in the ten plus years I’ve had her she’s never even attempted to dig, ever, in several different types of substrates I’ve tested
I was just being snarky. Welcome to the boards. You have a beautiful tarantula

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just moved my Grammastola porteri
Grammostola porteri. Grammostola. The "o". There isn't the "a". The "a" never existed. Never :pompous:

Not a bad set up, altough I don't get the sand part and, well, maybe two inches more of substrate wouldn't harm.

High five for the cork bark.

Wilderman204

Arachnopeon
Grammostola porteri. Grammostola. The "o". There isn't the "a". The "a" never existed. Never :pompous:

Not a bad set up, altough I don't get the sand part and, well, maybe two inches more of substrate wouldn't harm.

High five for the cork bark.
Lol typo, I was just looking at pictures of the Atacama desert regions and wanted to make the substrate more like what is found in their natural habitat. Soils in their natural range are made mostly of sand and rocks with very little organic matter. I’ve had her on coco fibre for years and she always covered it with a mat of silk anyways.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If that setup looked like that with only 1.5x DLS distance between sub and top, it would be great. Too much fall injury in that setup, your T could be named SPLAT at some point.