New Enclosure

cold blood

Staff member
I would use something wider, with greater floor space...these are fast, heavy webbing ts...no reason not to provide more room.

Then again, you failed to tell us how big the specimen is...which is critical info.

Valarien

Arachnopeon
Well my question was more directed to ventilation as I am fairly certain for their size this is large enough. Their molt has a 6cm legspan so they are one molt bigger than that now. The interior measurement of the enclosure is 18 1/2 cm by 11 1/2cm.

I would use something wider, with greater floor space...these are fast, heavy webbing ts...no reason not to provide more room.

Then again, you failed to tell us how big the specimen is...which is critical info.
Will that be large enough? The main reason I want to do the transfer now is so that they will have more substrate to burrow in....as the juvenile enclosure from Jamie's is too short to have both deep substrate and a nice sized open air space as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
That should be fine for a sling or small juvenile but probably not for anything that gets over 2.5". Baboon Ts are very fast moving and it's best for them to be able to get out of the way for normal maintenance.

I don't have that species but I've used Jamie's enclosures for 2 different baboon species.

I'd suggest using peat or something resistant to mold more so then coca fiber, but that's optional.

You can also add a plug and small hole as a feeding port so you don't have to open up the whole thing risking escape when feeding.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
That should be fine for a sling or small juvenile but probably not for anything that gets over 2.5". Baboon Ts are very fast moving and it's best for them to be able to get out of the way for normal maintenance.

I don't have that species but I've used Jamie's enclosures for 2 different baboon species.

I'd suggest using peat or something resistant to mold more so then coca fiber, but that's optional.

You can also add a plug and small hole as a feeding port so you don't have to open up the whole thing risking escape when feeding.
I dont think chilobrachys are baboons

Valarien

Arachnopeon
How big is the t?
I had said in the previous reply that I measured this tarantulas molt to be 6 cm leg span. I can't actually measure the actual tarantula because they are in their burrow almost all the time.

cold blood

Staff member
I dont think chilobrachys are baboons
No, different continent altogether....and kept completely different as well.

I had said in the previous reply that I measured this tarantulas molt to be 6 cm leg span
Don't know how I missed that post.

I would think the size would be fine. Probably could use a re-house by about 10cm.

Valarien

Arachnopeon
Don't know how I missed that post.

I would think the size would be fine. Probably could use a re-house by about 10cm.
Okay so a molt or two more. Also at that point would considering an adult sized enclosure not be too much? I mean typically speaking enclosure sizes can never really be too big just perhaps uncessasryly big.

cold blood

Staff member
Okay so a molt or two more. Also at that point would considering an adult sized enclosure not be too much? I mean typically speaking enclosure sizes can never really be too big just perhaps uncessasryly big.
Oh yesh, its next home should be its adult home.

Enclosures can be too large, but really only for NW terrestrials IMO. Asians, especially heavy webbers deserve a larger enclosure.

Valarien

Arachnopeon
Oh yesh, its next home should be its adult home.

Enclosures can be too large, but really only for NW terrestrials IMO. Asians, especially heavy webbers deserve a larger enclosure.
Okay that is good to know. Now one final question for you sir, the interior height is 22cm so roughly how much of that space should be substrate?

cold blood

Staff member
Oh? Only just 1/3 for a borrowing species? For some reason I thought it would be more than that....
You have to take into consideration the amount of webbing they will create above the ground...you will want a decent amount of space for that. 1/3 will still allow for enough to create a burrow....you could go a little more if you want though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh? Only just 1/3 for a borrowing species? For some reason I thought it would be more than that....
Between the amount of substrate and the amount of webbing, the specimen should feel secure. That is, it should have room for both.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
This kind of enclosure should work pretty well for Chilobrachys. But you should drill some holes near the bottom for cross ventilation, this species needs high humidity, and without it you will have very damp bottom. Fill it 1/4 or 1/3 with substrate, add some anchor points, and you will have something like this :
(my enclosure of juvi Ch. kaeng krachan)

Valarien

Arachnopeon
This kind of enclosure should work pretty well for Chilobrachys. But you should drill some holes near the bottom for cross ventilation, this species needs high humidity, and without it you will have very damp bottom. Fill it 1/4 or 1/3 with substrate, add some anchor points, and you will have something like this :
(my enclosure of juvi Ch. kaeng krachan)
Also to potentially drain excessive dampness alright. But other than that should I drill more holes in it anywhere else? Then what I already have done as indicated by the pictures. I was thinking of drilling some holes in the lids as well though that would make them unstackable if I want those holes to actually vent. Though why would a species that burrows need cross ventilation in its burrow? It would not naturally have that kind of ventilation.

Last edited:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Yes, but naturally they live in open environment, not inside plastic container ;) Soil isn't hermetic, and lets air flow and water to sink in. In such a deep container without drainage holes, all the water and CO2 will gather at bottom creating very unhealthy environment.
Ventilation that you made at top should be enough.