New enclosure I just built

SEB

Arachnosquire
I work at a custom frame store, so have endless piles of glass, plexi glass and molding at my disposal. I thought I'd put together a new enclosure for my Latrodectus spiders. Tomorrow I will glue in branches in each of the compartments and put some substrate in the bottom. It is 31" x 5" x 9" and has six separate enclosures fully sealed off from each other.

IMG-20111014-00335.jpg IMG-20111014-00336.jpg

Last edited:

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My dad also works at a custom frame, plexiglass cutting company in LA. You might know each other. :) I asked him if he could build be an enclosure but he says the glass are expensive. I'm pretty sure that there are endless piles of plexiglass lying around. I mean its a warehouse.. He's always been lazy though. Cool enclosures anyways!

SEB

Arachnosquire
My dad also works at a custom frame, plexiglass cutting company in LA. You might know each other. :) I asked him if he could build be an enclosure but he says the glass are expensive. I'm pretty sure that there are endless piles of plexiglass lying around. I mean its a warehouse.. He's always been lazy though. Cool enclosures anyways!
That's interesting. What frame store does he work at? Regular glass is not expensive at all. It's actually MUCH cheaper than the plexi glass. The specialty glass on the other hand is expensive, like UV coated or museum glass.

As for the lid, It is a simple lift top design with screen. There is foam strip running around all the edged and over the top of the separators to seal off the individual compartments. I am already working on building another one with a better design for the top that will let me access the each compartment separately.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats cool...and yeah plexi is really expensive...i bought 3 sheets of 1/16" off a buddy for $30 a sheet (4'x8') and that was cheap...bad part is it was stored for a long time, and the paper is pretty hard to get off, wants to rip, and stick....

SEB

Arachnosquire
thats cool...and yeah plexi is really expensive...i bought 3 sheets of 1/16" off a buddy for $30 a sheet (4'x8') and that was cheap...bad part is it was stored for a long time, and the paper is pretty hard to get off, wants to rip, and stick....
Too bad you don't live near by. I throw TONS of perfectly good left over scrap sheets away every day. 1/8" thick with sizes ranging from 5" x 5" to 10" x 60". It seems like such a waste which is why I've started to build enclosures even though I don't need all of them haha

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
wellll...you can ship them to me:)....yeah i know..shipping would be way more expensive than just buying it...i know of a place in the city where i work that custom cuts glass and plexiglass...they might be able to give me their scrap...i mean that would cut down on their trash bill:) also you could custom build smaller enclosures and sell/trade them on here...

SEB

Arachnosquire
wellll...you can ship them to me:)....yeah i know..shipping would be way more expensive than just buying it...i know of a place in the city where i work that custom cuts glass and plexiglass...they might be able to give me their scrap...i mean that would cut down on their trash bill:) also you could custom build smaller enclosures and sell/trade them on here...
That's a good idea! Maybe I'll start trading or selling. I want to put a few more together first and really get the quality perfect before I feel good about selling.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i understand...you could also get those cirlce shaped metal mesh vents for it too...

tylErFTW

Arachnopeon
I have access to an almost endless supply of scrap lexan. Maybe I'll see about trying my hand at building something like this. Looks really good.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too bad you don't live near by. I throw TONS of perfectly good left over scrap sheets away every day. 1/8" thick with sizes ranging from 5" x 5" to 10" x 60". It seems like such a waste which is why I've started to build enclosures even though I don't need all of them haha
dude I live in Los Angeles and I can not find a good plexi supplier anywhere - ended up buying an exo terra which is pretty but a little on the expensive side :(

hook it up! please :)