New Emperor

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
So, I got my replacement Emp from the pet store yesterday.
I set up a false bottom using aquarium gravel, and I put some fiberglass mesh over it, and then I put my bag of substrate in a tub and filled it in the bathtub with water and mixed it around until it was moistened to the point I can squeeze out a few drops.
And I added a piece of mopani wood I bought from Amazon along with some cork bark, and I put some "Spanish Moss" from Miracle Grow on the sides of the tank to help with humidity. I found a little aquarium plant that I'll add to a corner of the tank.
Since the pet store owner recommended me to buy this "Spider-AID" thing, I just got it. I put it in a water bowl and also put some bottled water in it.

At night, I saw the scorpion was REALLY active. The one I previously had was just... Meh. I don't think it actually died from me giving stress, although I really did think it was. It just wasn't active when I first got it, before I started poking it.. Heh.
The scorp I got was like clawing the glass so it was actually exploring, and I saw a decent amount of substrate in my water dish, so I guess it was discovering around that area or was drinking some stuff.

The coolest thing is, when I woke up.. I looked in the cork bark and I saw nothing. So, I looked at the Mopani log/wood, and I saw some substrate that seemed to be dug up and moved around. I know it wasn't like this before, since my OCD made the substrate all compact and perfectly flat pretty much. I lifted the mesh top and to my surprise, I saw my scorp in a little burrow it made under the wood.

I guess it didn't want to use the cork bark, but I'll leave it there as a second hide in the future if it chooses to move out.
I'll attempt to feed it in a few hours. I'll offer it a mealworm and a few hours later I'll offer it a nymph dubia roach.

Instead of covering so much of the top, I'm just going to cover around 50% of the top mesh by just putting some clear packaging tape on the bottom of the mesh. That'll keep some humidity up and some heat in, but not trap so much. I don't want a swamp. I added a thermometer and a hygrometer. It's a little on the cold side.. Like 72 degrees. But since I live in KS, it'll get warmer eventually today. It's like 74% humidity. I misted it this morning. c:

Pictures will be posted if requested.
Thanks for actually reading this if you did!

Edit: Oh yeah, the scorpion I got was a little older than the previous emp I had that died shortly after I got it. It's a darker redish stinger bulb. So, it's a subadult. It's not as large as an adult yet, so I think it might be like one or two molts away from it though. It's much larger than the one I had before, but not a complete adult yet. I'll post pictures of the bottom of it, if I can put it in a clear container and take a picture of it, to sex it.
The owner said they were CB, so I'm happy!
Do you think there is a possibility that it's gravid already from the pet store? Just wondering. I might buy another emp of the opposite sex in the future to get some babies, haha.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Actually, a red-ish telson means it's an adult. How big is it? Do you need help with sexing? If it is a female and the store kept them communally, chances are it is.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Actually, a red-ish telson means it's an adult. How big is it? Do you need help with sexing? If it is a female and the store kept them communally, chances are it is.
Oh. It's not big enough to be like 8 inches as some websites say. It's like.. 5 inches?
Oh. That's good. The store had them for like 4 days or so though. But, there were 3 of them in the tank. I think all of them were adults, since they had redish telsons.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
What is this "Spider-AID" thing you refer to? Most LPS employees have very little knowledge of proper scorpion husbandry; they basically just want to sell you stuff.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
What is this "Spider-AID" thing you refer to? Most LPS employees have very little knowledge of proper scorpion husbandry; they basically just want to sell you stuff.
Yeah, I know they do that. I couldn't help but just say yes though. They kept "recommending" it to me, and said they used it for 2 years and they "love" it.
It's like this orange gel. Looks like the cricket quincher. But, it's called "Spider - Ade". I can't find it online, lmao. Weird.

Anyways...
My scorp is in it's hide the whole day and hasn't come out.
I picked up the hide and looked at it, it doesn't move much. Barely any. Almost unnoticeable.
Should I just leave it there?
Not mess around with anything?

And, when should I feed it? At night, when it's awake/active?

---------- Post added 05-24-2013 at 04:49 PM ----------

I'm going to stop moving things around now, and stop poking at it.
I think I'll just leave it alone, mist it once every morning, and try to feed it when it's out. Which is probably only at night, since it's under the piece of wood I got. It's been there all day so far. (4 PM at the moment).

Oh yeah, and... When I poked at it (the once and only time I did it, I won't do it again.) it barely moved. Like. Twitched a leg. Hopefully it's okay. I'll leave it be for the next 5 or so hours and see if it's out at night, and try to feed it if it is out.

Last edited:

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Get rid of the gel and leave it alone, hiding is what they do.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Also, this species is capable of attaining sizes of 8 inches or so, but that does not mean every specimen will be this large. Also as was said before a darker red telson means adult. Post some pictures.

I had an adult emp last year that was around the same size.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Also, this species is capable of attaining sizes of 8 inches or so, but that does not mean every specimen will be this large. Also as was said before a darker red telson means adult. Post some pictures.

I had an adult emp last year that was around the same size.
Same size of the 8 inches or same size as about mine? I'll get some pictures of top length and also to sex it (I might have to temporarily transfer it into a glass bowl or something and take a picture of the bottom like that).

Get rid of the gel and leave it alone, hiding is what they do.
Uhm. What should I do with it then. I got a whole jar of it. Give it to my roaches?
It can't be that bad for my emp, can it? It says it's for arthropods IE tarantulas and emps.
It's just that I don't want this product to turn out a waste.. Since I paid like 8 bucks for a container of it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Regular water is best I am sorry to say. Remember pet store guys are in business so they try to sell as much as they can.

Same size as yours. He was around 5 - 5.5" or so in size.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Regular water is best I am sorry to say. Remember pet store guys are in business so they try to sell as much as they can.

Same size as yours. He was around 5 - 5.5" or so in size.
Haha okay. Since it's not moving that much and I think it's not doing that good.. I think I'll just hold off taking pictures until in the night.
I hope it's more active in the night.
I have no idea what to do with this spider ade stuff... Dang

Will there be something wrong with my scorp if I don't see it active around night? Yesterday it was perfectly fine, moving around, making it's burrow, and exploring the cage.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
So. He didn't come out of his hide yet..
Is everything okay or.... Is there something wrong. I haven't touched him/her in a while.
Should I look at it or just leave it alone in the hide? It's been there for over 24 hours I think, I didn't see/hear it moving at night when I was in my room at like 10 PM.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 bucks for that worthless crap?? Just return it to the store...

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
8 bucks for that worthless crap?? Just return it to the store...
I don't think they will return it honstly.

Can someone help me with my scorp.. That's the biggest issue.

Edit: So I picked up the log and move the soil around it and it moved a little.
SO, I guess it's alive.. But why won't it come out at night.. The night I first got it, it was clawing at the glass and moving a lot. The 2nd night, yesterday, I didn't see it once get out while I was in my bed.

Last edited:

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Emperors stay hidden 95% of the time (or more). I don't see mine for weeks or months at a time, even at night. Stop lifting its hide and poking at it; all you're doing is stressing it out.

What are the temps in your enclosure?

Feed the gel stuff to your roaches or crickets. It will keep for a long time in the refrigerator.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
and read the P.imperator info in the sticky thread.... You don't need to worry....and use the search function please...

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Emperors stay hidden 95% of the time (or more). I don't see mine for weeks or months at a time, even at night. Stop lifting its hide and poking at it; all you're doing is stressing it out.

What are the temps in your enclosure?

Feed the gel stuff to your roaches or crickets. It will keep for a long time in the refrigerator.
It's like 75. Heating pad is on the right side.
When I did lift the log, I gave it a medium sized dubia roach and it's eating it now. I gave it a mealworm too, it's just holding it on the other hand.
It's doing fine I guess. I put the log back and I'll leave it be for now on. Feed it maybe 5 days from now since I gave it two insects.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I would only worry about feeding him about once a week or so. One medium roach or a couple of mealworms at feeding time should be sufficient. Really a P. imperator that you dont see very often is a happy one.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
+1 to shebeen, I have more than one emperor and I almost never see them even at night. My desert species are a lot more active in general and I see them almost every night to some degree.

Also I agree once a week feeding is fine you don't want to overfeed.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
+1 to shebeen, I have more than one emperor and I almost never see them even at night. My desert species are a lot more active in general and I see them almost every night to some degree.

Also I agree once a week feeding is fine you don't want to overfeed.
Thanks!
How should I feed it in the future, if it's always in the hide?
Since you guys told me not to disturb it.. How will I feed it?
Thanks. Sorry.
I think my scorp is making the burrow still, I see a tail poking out of the burrow it already made, and I see it moving around. Maybe..

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello,

Most scorpions are considered to be ambush predators, unless they are really hungry (or males looking for females) they'll sit and wait until something crosses their path.
If you continually drop the cricket in front of him, he has no reason to leave his burrow! (why go get takeaway when you can get room service? :p)
That's why if you want to see him more, you should just put the cricket in the tank with him (with both jumping legs) and let him work for his food!

when you get a larger collection its more fun as you have lots of scorpions to check on!
For emperors/forest scorpions, they only really get interesting when you have a large group of them (5+ adults or mother+offspring), then there is always something
happening in the tank!

so my advice if you're not short on cash:
wait a week or so, make sure you dont have the same problem as last time, then you can buy 2-3 more P.imperator to join your pet
Ideally buy them off a reputable buyer online, not sure what it's like in the US but here in Europe the quality is 100x better than in your
walk-in pet shops, and usually the price is better too