New emp. tries climbing walls

ecto

Arachnopeon
Ijust got an emporer scorpion the other day and it keeps trying to climb the wall for some odd reason...has anyone else had this happen to them,and if so did you find out why?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Often new aquisitions will do this until they get settled down. If you temperature and humidity is right (check the sticky at the top of this forum) and you have plenty of hiding spots then he should eventualy pick one and start hiding. If your conditions are wrong he may continue to "roam"

Cheers,
Dave

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen the same thing in my limited experience and would concur with Dave. My first Emp did alot of roaming/"climbing" for the first two weeks I had him, and showed no interest in food. Temp/humidity were both a bit low, and when I moved him into a more suitable habitat he settled down after a couple days and picked a favorite hide. I have several hides spread out along the length of a 20L and have a heating pad on one side of the back of the tank with a glass sheet covering 80% of the screen (the uncovered end is the end opposite of the heater) so there is a temp/humid gradient for him to choose from. Within a couple days he ate for the first time. I added two more Emps last week and they also tooled around for a couple of days before settling down. Both ate for the first time a couple nights later. As Dave suggests, given the right conditions he ought to settle down soon. Good luck!

ecto

Arachnopeon
at about what % should the humidity be..and if it helps u give suggestions on how to get that humidity,i have a kind of calcium type sand in a 10gallon tank.(sry to keep blabbing on but...)..the people that sold me the scorpion said that it is pregnant,so if there are any special things to do for the environment pertaining to a pregnant scorpion,that would also be nice to know.