New Dog!

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
My husband and I just adopted an ex-racing greyhound from a local greyhound rescue and we are so excited! He is so tall and skinny (I'm working at getting some meat on his bones) it feels like we have a little horse or deer in the house.
rolling in some great smell in the grass

His favorite past-time... sleeping.

His racing name is Bo Seeya, and we're gonna keep that name, cuz we think it fits him. I've been enthralled with greyhounds almost as long as I've been enthralled with Ts, and I'm excited to have this leggy guy. :D

Kelly (L_mac)

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greyhounds are great family dogs, very loving, and it's great to know there's no shortage of good people to adopt them. FYI, they're bred to be that sleek. Don't fatten him up TOO much or you'll have an overwight dog on your hands. Congrats!

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is just fantastic!!!! He is one lucky dog, getting to live out his life without the stress of the racing circuit. He deserves to have a softer & kinder life. You are doing a most wonderful thing in giving him a chance at a good life. You are to be commended!! :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship:

I, also, have always wanted to adopt a greyhound but have never had the space for one, nor the vehicle to transport a large dog.
Beth

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome, congratulations!

Have you heard the expression "40 mile-per-hour couch potato"? (or something like that..) Don't let him be a lazy boy! :)

Adoption's the way to go! :clap:

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
We hadn't had the space until earlier this year, but now with a big fenced in backyard, we are set.
His racing weight is set at about 80-81# but the vet said we should get him to 85-87#, which would be normal for him. We plan to folow the vet's suggestion and keep him there.
I call him my 38 mile an hour couch potato b/c he aparantly stunk on the track. Last place on the last 5 races. All the better for me.
Kelly (L_mac)

Last edited:

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are one of the most appreciative breeds you can get! I've known lots of people to adopt them, and not one has been bad. They are wonderful dogs.

I'll second the fattening up part. These guys shouldn't be allowed to over eat. Their lifestyle has changed and they will naturally be adding some weight, but you should always see those ribs. Also be weary of bloat with this breed.

Congratulations. Before too long, you will be looking for another to hog your couch.

Woof

Arachnopeon
Congratulations! :clap: Looks like you've got a winner! He's beautiful!
We've had retired racing greyhounds for over 10 years. Currently we have a 3 year old boy named Marco, race name KV Cadillac. We've had him for over a year and a half and he just gets sweeter every day. I don't think he ever raced because he came to us with a lame front leg, old foot injury, that I think he got while training. Greyhounds's are just wonderful! Marco is our second grey and I will allways have at least one grey at a time.
Best wishes for a long, happy and healthy life for Bo! Don't put to much fat on those bones!
Marie

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lovely dog. Note - they are supposed to be LEAN. He looks in fine form to me... going on these pics.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome dog. I love athletic dogs, your dogs not thin, his ripped!

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh wow we got a greyhound from a track and i love her so much. I always thought it was so funny that they can't actually sit...do u have a dog park nearby or alot of land for her to scamper about?

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should see if there are any greyhound owner groups near you. They often have lure coursing events and such that your racer will absolutely love. Besides you can get the scoop on the breed from all the other veteran owners out there.

I did lure coursing with my whippets and it was a blast.

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
Yeah, I have been working with Greyhound Pets of America - Wisconsin. They are who i adopted Bo from and they have a forum group that I participate in as well. I have been interested in greyhounds for many many years, and like I did for my Ts, I have studied into them as much as I could before I dove in, so I feel pretty well educated on the breed.
As for Bo, he has been using our backyard as his course. Running full tilt, it is so cool to see.
Every year GPA-WI has their GALA, (like the ATS conference) and they have some lure coursing there, and "clock your dog" as well. But he seems more content on just sleeping the day away than running.
I have not been successful at getting him to sit. I know it is possible, I've seen it, but he doesn't really want much to do with that position. Nor stairs. He can do 1-3 step inclines, but more than that he turns tail and runs the other way. I've made him go once (most groups highly reccommend that they master stairs), but it kinda freaked him out so I'll wait a bit before we go again.

Kelly (L_mac)

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't try to make him sit...their body is not that of a normal dog it is built more like a horse...they will lean or squat but they don't actually sit...

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From how i understand it they are trained very young not to sit as well so they don't sit at the gate before a race....you can eventually teach it but why try something that is very difficult for them...and i am sure a little stressfull on you

Woof

Arachnopeon
Sure they can sit! Some just feel weird about it. Our Marco sits no problem (anything for something tasty) but my last grey didn't want to so we didn't push it. A reliable stay or down is just as good. I mean why should a dog sit anyway, except that it's required for a CGC (Canine Good Citizenship) certificate or competitive obedience.
Marie

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Congrats on the new dog Kelly, he's a beauty!

I heard that because they are sight hounds that you cannot let them off leash because they will never come back to you. Do you all find this to be true? Or can they be trained to come back when called? How easy is basic obedience training with this breed?

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
Bo is a real fast learner, within a week he's already picked up "lay down" and "settle down" he knows where his treats are and where his leash is. And they have essentially lived training from puppy on.
But as smart as they are I would never let him off a lead unless we were in a fenced in area. The adoption group gave me a "squawker" that trainers use to get the dogs to come back after the race, but even that is not 100% relaible. Even if the dog is really well trained, no one can kill the instinct that has been bred in the dog for thousands of years. I've seen it in his eyes when we are taking our walks and a stupid little squirrel tempts fate... running, stopping just yards away and scamperes up a tree when we get just so close... but not all the way, enough to make Bo drool in anticipation. {D

Kelly (L_mac)