New Corn Snake

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just went and got my new corn snake. Its a female reverse okettee. Thank you everyone who had the patience to answer my repeating questions. But...I have just one more question-I know that snakes can swallow substrate when feeding, but if the are a few pieces of substrate in the water dish, can the snake swallow the substrate while drinking aqnd still get impaction?

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seven snakes, 3 of which are corns, ranging from a few months old, to about 5 years old, and I have never had any problems with impaction at all. good luck with your new snake.

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've never had a snake get impacted from drinking...i could be wrong but i don't think they open their mouths wide enough to drink to actually get anything foreign in there

Harvey

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on your new corn! I think the reverse okeetees are just gorgeous!
Thank-you. They really are beautiful. I picked her out of all the other corns at the expo. She was 75$ but she was worth every penny. She is so docile that i cant even believe it!

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
impaction is more common with feeding. It take repeated ingestion to build up the amount needed to cause a problem. Constricting can hold substrate against the prey while swallowing, if you feed F/T the moist hair from thawing can also cause substrate to stick to the prey. Impaction isn't really common but is just something you watch for, lots of folks that have many snakes don't have the ability to watch each animal eat so use substrates or feeder tubs to avoid the issue altogether.
Rev

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I put most of my snakes in feeder bins when I feed them. As long as you can watch them and make sure they don't ingest substrate when they eat, you should be fine. Like it has been said before if you watch them drink, they really don't open their mouths wide enough to ingest anything.