New clear enclosures.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
During my search for tiny sling terrariums I came across these clear "vileda" storage cubes, at half price =$3 each I was sold and just picked up a whole display box full of them, somehow I've ended up with 12.
IMG_20190317_151805.jpg
Next up was to drill a stack of holes, 2 sides got 8 holes and the lids got 9 each.
IMG_20190317_153039.jpg
Now, these are to house juvies and some bigger slings, mostly phlogius sp. and juvenile rainforest scorpions so some had bark hides, some got pots and some got both. Sorting out a little bit of pot for each enclosure (a little bit of pot never hurts) IMG_20190317_155212.jpg
I'm out of peat at the moment, so had to settle for coco fibre (I know, it's a rough life). Each got a little moss, piece of fake plant and at this stage I've gotta admit I'm getting excited with how it's coming together.
IMG_20190317_161430.jpg
Anyhoo, Im still in the process of finding enough black Lego's for water dishes and Ive some ocd thing where I can't bring myself to use anything other colour than black. So here is 12, set up on one of my glass shelves, these were betta fish pet shop displays. There are still milky tubs on the right that need to be upgraded and still haven't found what I wanted for sling housing but this is definitely a step in the direction I want, for all my enclosures regardless of size. IMG_20190317_163248.jpg
Cheers for looking, I hope someone can find inspiration from this post. As far as the new sling housing is concerned I've decided to go with making 2“x2“ and 3“x3“ cubes out of either 2 or 3mm glass and just working out the finer points of ventilation and decent lids, should start on these next week.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
IMG_20190317_181317.jpg So they are stackable if offset, without impeding ventilation and will give me room for the new sling enclosures underneath. Cheers for looking Rhino

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
View attachment 302855 So they are stackable if offset, without impeding ventilation and will give me room for the new sling enclosures underneath. Cheers for looking Rhino
What I've just purchased, after much searching, for my baby scorpions are:-

50ml. Clear Plastic PET pots 48mm high x 52mm wide with SCREW tops. I find the containers with screw tops easier to open and less stressful for the occupants than these push fit tops on small containers that you can never open easily.

Mind you this is in UK and I know you are in Australia - and they are fairly expensive - I think - £18 sterling for 50 pots, but good quality not flimsy and will last and give nice clear view, with the lovely SCREW tops.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
What I've just purchased, after much searching, for my baby scorpions are:-

50ml. Clear Plastic PET pots 48mm high x 52mm wide with SCREW tops. I find the containers with screw tops easier to open and less stressful for the occupants than these push fit tops on small containers that you can never open easily.

Mind you this is in UK and I know you are in Australia - and they are fairly expensive - I think - £18 sterling for 50 pots, but good quality not flimsy and will last and give nice clear view, with the lovely SCREW tops.

Excellent, always nice to find what your after hmm, not sure why you put screw in capital letters, it can be interpreted as yelling when read by others.
These tubs did have snap latches on the side that I removed and have a soft rubber seal that fits nicely, with the latches removed there's no pop, no difficulty and definitely no rigmarole with screwing, it's just sweet, smooth action.
They are like a plexiglass/acrylic and can hold my weight so no strength issues here either.
In Australia I screw open Vegemite jars not scorpion enclosures thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

Excellent, always nice to find what your after hmm, not sure why you put screw in capital letters, it can be interpreted as yelling when read by others.
These tubs did have snap latches on the side that I removed and have a soft rubber seal that fits nicely, with the latches removed there's no pop, no difficulty and definitely no rigmarole with screwing, it's just sweet, smooth action.
They are like a plexiglass/acrylic and can hold my weight so no strength issues here either.
In Australia I screw open Vegemite jars not scorpion enclosures thanks for the input.
I was just trying to be of help with smaller enclosures than you have - but rest assured I won't bother in future. Keep your comments for your you tube site.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I was just trying to be of help with smaller enclosures than you have - but rest assured I won't bother in future. Keep your comments for your you tube site.
Ah ok, I wasn't sure how to take your post with screw being written in capitals and for the record Vegemite sucks anyways so I wasn't being entirely truthful about that.
It is a struggle to find decent enclosures here and these ones would be a close equivalent to the acrylic ones I was about to buy from China which would have been in excess of $100 for 10.
My frustration comes from every time I ask about aestheticly pleasing small enclosures, I keep getting the whole deli cup bandwagon thing jammed down my throat, the thing is I've used them for years and I don't want to use them anymore if I don't have to. I want every enclosure I own to be along the lines of a mini terrarium but that is my priority and just thought I would post the "improvements" along the way.
Would you have any pics of your SCREW top 50 ml tubs that you could share with me?
And I am assuming that you have a you tube channel as you mentioned something about that, can you post a link to that for me?
Kind regards Rhino1

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
I like those a lot ! The closest I can find here in america at any bargain like what you have , is at walmart for $6 each. I do love the acrylic , and you really set those up nice!! I have a phlogius sp black that is set up in a similar style as your pics so I guess I did it right lol. Its hard to find good info on phlogius

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I like those a lot ! The closest I can find here in america at any bargain like what you have , is at walmart for $6 each. I do love the acrylic , and you really set those up nice!! I have a phlogius sp black that is set up in a similar style as your pics so I guess I did it right lol. Its hard to find good info on phlogius
Thank you, It's funny you say that, as these were originally $6 each as well and only by chance found them @ half price $3, so went overboard lol.
I really had my heart set on those acrylic display cases but range from around 14-50 dollars each over here and buying from China just got a bit more expensive for us atm too.
Phlogius are great doers, definitely one of my favourites and honestly there's not much you can do wrong with these guys if they are kept like other tropical species, I think @RezonantVoid keeps his phlogius slightly more damp than how I keep mine but only because I live in a very humid area to begin with (rainforest) and I tend to cycle my enclosures and try to water and mist them to coincide with when we have rain but also in saying that both of our phlogius do extremely well.
Thanks for your reply and good luck with your T's.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Aha! You have discovered my favourite brand!

Here's a few of my favourite setups for true spider primitives but like you say I keep alot of my T slings in these as well 20190313_171954.jpg 20190316_140948.jpg 20190307_170354.jpg 20190216_131511.jpg

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Looks the goods mate. Hey @RezonantVoid what is the one in your first enclosure, I'm guessing either curtain or funnel web?
Yea, Giant Nambucca Curtain web. Same for the second one but it's only just been rehoused so there's no webbing. They are probably my favourite type of primitives, excellent display spiders that don't need much space since they don't burrow, and their ferocity when feeding is unparalleled. Plus, they have spinnerets longer than their pedipalps

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
These Sistema Ultra Clear containers are by far the nicest looking for displaying. But they are on the slightly more expensive side considering that you would not be able to house slings for very long in them. I found these ones from Daiso as well and I think can be pretty handy as it has a feature whereby you're able to open only one corner. Good for misting or dropping in prey!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
These Sistema Ultra Clear containers are by far the nicest looking for displaying. But they are on the slightly more expensive side considering that you would not be able to house slings for very long in them. I found these ones from Daiso as well and I think can be pretty handy as it has a feature whereby you're able to open only one corner. Good for misting or dropping in prey!
Omg, Now that is a cracking enclosure, liking the little door on this one. Nice share!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I'm curious if the plastic melts on your drill bits or not, the lid looks like that may happen. I might try and grab some of these soon and test them out. I'll second the thank you for sharing these

Last edited:

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
I'm curious if the plastic melts on your bits or not, the lid looks like that may happen. I might try and grab some of these soon and test them out. I'll second the thank you for sharing these
I actually used a drill to create the holes so it's safe. No problem, glad to be of help!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I'm curious if the plastic melts on your drill bits or not, the lid looks like that may happen. I might try and grab some of these soon and test them out. I'll second the thank you for sharing these
With the ones I did the plastic just flakes away like your drilling wood.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it can be interpreted as yelling when read by others.
True, but people use all caps to emphasize something too (see below). Assuming someone is yelling at a person with all caps is simply crazy in the above example hah.

NICE NICE find, and thank you for posting these!