New Choices, any input?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok folks, time once again to boost the collection a bit. After the few I lost when I was out of town, here's what I have currently.

One each of...

Avicularia versicolor - 1"
Grammastola Rosea - 5" female
Brachypelma smithi - 3.5" female
Poecilotheria regalis - 3.5" male?
Poecilotheria formosa - 1.5"
Haplopelma sp. "Aureopilosum" - 6 inch female
Psalmopeus irminia - 2"
Cyclosternum fasciatum - 2.5"

I have too many empty tanks lately, and it's disheartening, so I think I need to get 3 more. I want to get one spiderling, one sub-adult, and one adult, if possible. I want a nice, diverse collection, so here are my thoughts -

The sub-adult, I've pretty much settled on an usambara. I keep wondering why I don't have one yet.
The adult, I want something that I can have in the living room, in a big tank. (I.e, preferably not a burrower, but not a T. blondi)
The spiderling, anything goes. Some that come to mind are:
One of the fancy-pants beauties (C. thorelli, E. cyanothawhatsit, A. purpurea)
Something really common (G. rosea, A. Avicularia, A. metallica)

I keep thinking I need to add an Aphonopelma to my collection. There's the H. gigas project to consider still, and then there's the influx of adult H. schmidti. I still want an H. minax, but then again that T Ernie posted caught my eye too. See where I'm going with this? Too many T's to choose from, and many of them in the realm of affordability. So help me out here, with what I've got already, what would be two good additions, aside from the pretty well settled on Usambara?

Bill

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What about the chaco golden knee...I don't remember the latin name for it, but they're really nice looking and fairly large.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For your living room tank I would recommend an A. geniculata. Large (8"+), striking markings, and not at all bashful.

As for the spiderling(s), that's a tough call. As you say, you don't have any Aphonopelma and they're generally inexpensive as spiderlings but slow growing and like Brachypelma don't look like much til they get some size on them. On the bright side they're really cheap to house and feed. A fast grower that I really enjoyed raising from spiderling that might fit your tastes is Nhandu coloratovilosus. Pretty ballsy for a NW T but not so aggressive as the Asians, also spends a lot of time out in the open. Avics are always cool if you like them and A. avicularia is so cheap you can always tack it onto your purchase anyhow ;)

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the Brazilian Salmon Pink would make a great choice for the adult. Ours is a great display spider. As for the spiderling, may I suggest the Brachypelma Albopilosum. We have 5 of them, and each of them have different personality's. Some like to burrow, others stay out. Some you can touch, others try to take a bite out of you. Take care, Pam

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bill,
A. geniculata is a stunning T. Stays out in the open almost all the time. Mine grew from 1/2" to 3 1/2" in 7 months. It would be a very nice display T. I,m not sure how much an adult would cost though.
C. cyaneopubescens is down right gorgeous. Mine just moulted again, and its knock your d!ck in the dirt beautiful. I will never, not have a GGB. It stays in sight all the time too.
And you idea on the H.gigas is a good one. Its not the best looking T, but its as badass as they come. And they get 10" or so.
I love mine. His name is Badass.
Which T did I post, that your refering too?

Ernie

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would recommend Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, even if they were pale brown or grey, they are still a very exciting species, and they grow fast! The awesome colors are just an added bonus!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
So far so good, thanks for the help.

I think I really should indeed look into a C. Cyaneopubescens. I'm actually surprised I don't have one, come to think of it. This was one of the T's that got me sold on the idea in the first place. A part of me just said "Screw it, I have a tiger rump already" since everytime I've seen them for sale they look like that. I need to keep my brain on long term mode more.

And Ernie, I'm not sure which one it was, but I think it was a stout-leg baboon? don't quote me on that. The one with the blackish markings around the eyes, and the generally badass look about it. (btw, thank you for that new texan phrase to describe something attractive - I love it)

Chip, How are Nhandu species in general? As far as hardiness/ease of care? I've seen alot of pictures, and some look close to Lasiadora I've seen, others nothing at all. I'd definately consider these if I can find some. As for A. genic, also a very good option. I didn't realize they got so big, that might fit the livingroom T perfectly. Trouble now, is finding an adult.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Chip, How are Nhandu species in general? As far as hardiness/ease of care? I've seen alot of pictures, and some look close to Lasiadora I've seen, others nothing at all. I'd definately consider these if I can find some. As for A. genic, also a very good option. I didn't realize they got so big, that might fit the livingroom T perfectly. Trouble now, is finding an adult.
Very easy to care for, very bullet proof as far as I can tell - all I try to do is keep the substrate slightly moist and don't worry about anything beyond that. Mine burrowed as a sling but now just hangs out in the open or on the sides of the tank. She's a very aggressive feeder and will leap up to grab a cricket on tongs which is always entertaining. If she gets pissed off at me, she goes into a threat posture for some time and will slap but has never actually tried to strike at anything; definitely one of my favorites and on my list of females I'd like to breed when she's full grown. She went from a sling about 1.25" to almost 4" in about 7 months.

An adult Whiteknee might be hard to find but juveniles aren't from what I've seen, and they do grow fast. I raised one from the size of a worker termite to about 2" in just 8 months. So if you start with a juvenile it shouldn't be too long before it looks like a beast.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like the geniculata idea, and a parahybana I think are pretty sweet for big ones. The cyanopubescens (god, I hate spelling that!) would be sweet as hell, too. Actually, I'm going to ask the dude I got my avic. and seemanni from if he breeds those. I think I need a 3rd...just so when I get killed it's completely worth it!

N.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey Nick-noc,

Kain is a great character, isn't he. Only second to Raziel.

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Hey Nick-noc,

Kain is a great character, isn't he. Only second to Raziel.

Bill
ARGH! Please don't call me that! As for Kain, I like BO2 Kain over Raziel, but like Raziel over SR1/SR2 Kain.

N.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
What about the chaco golden knee...I don't remember the latin name for it, but they're really nice looking and fairly large.
Grammostola aureostriatum..:)
Peace,
Gillian

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The sub-adult: usambara -- your mind is set!

The adult: Why not kill two birds with one tarantula and gett a GBB? I think that a GBB would be good for display and it is a fancy pants beauty. (Of course it might not be a bad idea to get this as a s'ling so you can watch its colors change.) Geniculata would make a nice addition too.

The spiderling: Get an A. seemani. It also kills two birds with one tarantula. It is really common and adds an Aphonopelma to your collection.

Jon

PS. I know that you said that you are pretty set on the Usambara. However, you also show interest in the tarantula that Ernie originally posted as a stout leg baboon. Since it is supposed to be very closely related to the Pterrors, and in my opinion even more beautiful, why not get it instead?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bill,
That new T of mine is a E. longiceps ( Voi Baboon ).

Ernie

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh my, I am the goddess of indecision lately...so don't ask me why I'm even posting in your thread ;)
I am super pleased with all pokies I have...great display spiders, great coloring, good eaters, and beautiful
A geniculata and L parahybana you can't go wrong with. They get HUGE, are always out in the open, and voracious eating machines.
I love my C cyans but some times they hide for a LONG time.
I am pleased with my M mesomelas sling, but it depends on what you want to spend for it!
And the Usambaras (of which I currently have almost 200!) are endlessly entertaining at ANY size.
I have become arboreal obsessed lately however....

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Adult: L. parahybana
Sling: X. immanis

This is some wery nice T's in my opinion :) I have both as adults!

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
new t's

getting new t's is so much fun, for a sling I would get a P.cambridgei. this was the first arboral that I got, and it is such a blast to watch ,and grow.it seems like every time it molts it almost doubles in size. Or a c.thorelli. I have 1 and am getting 2 more. as for the adult I lost my M.mesomelas a couple months ago durring a molt. But today from John Hoke I am getting a 2" female M.Klaassi. So I would go with a Megaphobema.I really miss my M.mesomalas. I also have a 3.5-4" L.cristata that is absolutly beutifull. If you want a aphonopelma, I have a A.moderatum thats gorgous.And a A.bicoloratum that is soooooslooooowwwwww grooooowingg.
Doug

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
E. cyanothawhatsit
ROFL =D

I'd go for the geniculata if you could find an adult, but as they said...even a sub-adult would be huge after not too long.

For a sling I agree with a cyanopube...pub...es...crap, "copy...paste"....cyanopubescens .

And I totally back up your "pterror" as Krystal and Holly used to call them. (usambara)

In Him,
Marcus

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey bill--

i'll give you my pterror--but you owe me a favor!

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
...and all props go to holley for the word "pterror." i just stole it from her!

of course, shelby is probably the one who _really_ made it up! (clever girl, she is!)