New centipede!

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
First of all sorry for a late reply and second of all I'm not brave enough to stick a ruler next to it, plus it's gone and hid. I'll try to get you a rough measurement in the morning, also I don't think he's full grown. Is there any proper way to actually tell?

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
s there any proper way to actually tell?
Not really. or the first few instars of most species they have a bright juvenile pattern but lose that after a while. Once they have adult coloration it can be hard to tell if a centipede is sexually mature or a large juvenile. Centipedes also keep growing throughout their lives and 2 mature adults can vary greatly in size. Localitites make it tricky too, because dark tiger rubripes might get bigger or smaller than the usual tiger, which itself is still bigger than most rubripes.

I'll let Staehilomyces be the judge of this.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
The biggest size differences I see with rubripes accompanies the length of the terminal legs.
Some have short, stubby terminal legs with ridges like a male S. morsitans. They typically max out at about 15cm.
The other form, with longer, cylindrical terminal legs are the ones that can get to 25cm, though individuals over 20cm are considered rare

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Interesting. Well I'll see how it works out, as long as he lives a long time I'm happy. Male centipedes don't exactly follow the same rule as tarantulas where the males live significantly shorter lives than females right?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Definitely not, I had a male S. morsitans live for six years under my care, and was already practically adult when I got it.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
It may be that male centipedes actually live longer as I'm sure the fasting egg-laying requires takes a fairly heavy toll on females. Of course, males are often the ones eaten during mating attempts...

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Just asking, roughly how big is this pede? I'm trying to get an idea of the average size of E. rubripes.
He's about 15 cm body length (give or take a few centimetres) terminal legs are probably about 2-3cm long and antennae are a tiny bit longer than 2cm

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Update: I didn't get a pic of it but he ate four crickets (before you freak out about over-feeding these were pretty small for the pede). He did this odd stance when he grabbed one of them, he raised his head up into the air almost like a cobra. Any thoughts on why? Or is it just because it's minimising the chance of the prey escaping by moving it away from any surface to grip

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Really? I haven't heard of that many incidents of sexual cannibalism with pedes.
Oh, and @Dennis Nedry, I can't really say why, though your idea makes sense, but my pedes do it quite frequently.
Agreed, despite their ferocity, 'pede breeding is safer for the animals than T breeding. But if one partner had to be eaten, it would be the smaller one, and males tend to be somewhat smaller despite a general lack of dimorphism. Most captive mating successes result in the survival of both partners, but if the female is feeling aggressive, especially in the wild, I don't doubt she'd take a snap at the hopeful male.

Fruchtpudding

Arachnopeon
I didn't get a pic of it but he ate four crickets (before you freak out about over-feeding these were pretty small for the pede).
I don't think you really can overfeed a pede. They will simply stop eating once they've had enough and leave the rest of whatever they were feeding on behind for you to clean up. Also I've noticed many pedes are severely underfed when you get them from the seller, probably because most people can't tell the feeding state of a pede. The S. hainanum I got recently was super thin and ate 3 crickets the first night I got him and then another 4 the next night until he was finally in (what I think) was an acceptable shape.

He did this odd stance when he grabbed one of them, he raised his head up into the air almost like a cobra. Any thoughts on why?
They do that usually when they feel a bit unsafe eating out in the open. They raise the prey up and then use the rest of their legs to walk into a safe place, with their prey lifted off the ground.

Last edited:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Well if it's not a communal species and they're general predators you can see why they'd be cannibalistic
I don't think you really can overfeed a pede. They will simply stop eating once they've had enough and leave the rest of whatever they were feeding on behind for you to clean up. Also I've noticed many pedes are severely underfed when you get them from the seller, probably because most people can't tell the feeding state of a pede. The S. hainanum I got recently was super thin and ate 3 crickets the first night I got him and then another 4 the next night until he was finally in (what I think) was an acceptable shape.

They do that usually when they feel a bit unsafe eating out in the open. They raise the prey up and then use the rest of their legs to walk into a safe place, with their prey lifted off the ground.
good to know. I've got a Cormocephalus which is really skinny right now so I'll try bumping him up in size. Pretty sure it's because it just moulted and they don't really come to the surface much where the crickets are

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Most of my pedes are what you would consider underfed. I don't keep no sausages and I like to keep it that way. :troll:
One a more serious note, I believe it keeps them healthier, closer to the condition in which you'd find them in the wild.

Last edited:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
That's true, a slightly skinny centipede is better than an obese one. That said, one of the cormocephalus I have is so skinny that it looks like it's been stepped on. Think I might try poking dead crickets into its burrow entrances so it will actually be able to find them

Fruchtpudding

Arachnopeon
One a more serious note, I believe it keeps them healthier, closer to the condition in which you'd find them in the wild.
I've seen several large pedes in the wild (Costa Rica, South Africa) and most of them, as far as I could tell, were actually doing quite well. I was actually surprised at their, uh, "completeness" if you want. Usually no missing legs or anything. Tergites and sternites were usually chipped and damaged in some places but apart from that they looked to be in very nice condition. Pretty fat too, most of them.
I think the whole "being a centipede" thing is working out well for them, I mean there has to be a reason they've been around for so long nearly unchanged ;)

That being said, I only feed my centipedes until they stop eating exactly once, when I get them. After that I keep them a little hungry. At around the level where I'm sure they'd always eat two crickets when I throw one in there, but not many more. I like them to have some "girth".

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
He's moulted, drastic change in colour post moult. He turned a very dark colour again after a couple hours
image.jpeg
image.jpeg