1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New centipede!

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Dennis Nedry, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I've FINALLY got my first E. rubripes and I'm do happy right now. Shipped well, decently sized (still not mature which is good) and very active. Has already destroyed a medium woodie and is settling in nicely.
    The seller has already sexed it as male though I'm not really thinking about breeding in the foreseeable future.

Funny story about unboxing it, it sort of shocked me in terms of aggression and speed. Nothing like Cornocephalus or any pede I've seen in person at all. It was sitting there all calm being prodded and poked and nudged as I tried to convince it to enter the new enclosure, then all of a sudden it exploded and swung its head in the air looking for something to bite. I may have been shaking a bit :hilarious:

Here he is, you can see the relative size next to a halved terracotta pot:
    image.jpeg
    Quite dark in colour, much darker than the ones the seller's pics. Maybe he got several "tiger form" centipedes from different localities? IMO the dark one looks amazing so I'm happy there

• Like Like x 2
  2. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoangel Active Member

Great pede, and yes, they usually put up with a bit of prodding before exploding.

3. Dennis Nedry

Yeah, thankfully the enclosure was big enough for me to just put the container it was shipped in into it and too tall for the pede to escape. I'm waiting to see if it'll eat another roach (before anybody freaks out about over feeding these roaches are slightly smaller than the pede's head)

4. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnobaron Active Member

He's a handsome fellow! I agree that (though I've never met one) Ethmos seem like moody 'pedes, that are neither always aggressive nor always docile. Good luck with him!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Staehilomyces

Does this one have a dark greenish tinge, or is it like Gothmog in terms of colour? From the photo, it appears to be the former.

6. Dennis Nedry

It's got a little bit of olive colouration, but otherwise i think it's pretty similar to Gothmog in appearance

7. Staehilomyces

Ah, thought so. I don't know exactly where they're from, but I think somewhere in QLD.
    Gothmog has no olive shades, except for a very faint green tinge in the legs, which becomes more obvious towards the back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dennis Nedry

The seller is in Queensland so I'd say they're from Queensland

9. Staehilomyces

Did you manage to get any more pics? Also, who is the seller? Can you post a link?

10. Dennis Nedry

It's stayed buried in the sub for some time and has completely covered it's hide with substrate so I haven't been able to get very many photos, I took these just now
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    I'll try an get a link when I can, seller is a guy named Alex from Robina on gumtree

11. Staehilomyces

Oh, I just looked at one of his sale posts yesterday. I'm already in contact with someone who sells big tiger E. rubripes for much cheaper prices, though I'd love to find one of those darker olive variants.

12. Dennis Nedry

Yeah, 40 bucks is a bit expensive for me but it's a really nice coloured pede which I haven't seen before so I took it

13. Scoly

Scoly Arachnosquire

By woodie do you mean a woodlouse? Most of my pede cages have woodlice in them as part of the clean up crew and the pedes never touch them...

14. Dennis Nedry

Woodies are a species of wood roach. They're the most common feeder roach here