New Centipede

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
So I have owned a Scolopendra polymorpha almost a year now and decided to add one more pede to my collection so now I have this little guy coming friday! He will be housed in a 1.5 gallon glass jar like my Polymorpha is permanently in as these have a screw on metal top that wont be chewn through or squeezed out of even if they can reach the top. Once he hits around 4-5 inches I will upgrade to a tank. Also this is a Scolopendra heros arizonensis if it wasn't obvious from the photo. IMG_20171030_154401_124.jpg

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I need a heros
I'm holding out for a heros 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
I need a heros...

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
They seem to prefer longer areas over tall, that is an extremely active species that gets a BL of at least 7". Once household vibrations stop they literally do laps and feeling out the enclosure. That said, this is a top five species for me! Grats on the mini monster.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I'm excited but currently a bit fed up with postal service. He was shipped for saturday arrival due to the best temps being saturday and supposedly reached my town this morning and is out for delivery, my mother is home to receive the box so I will update you when I get home and unpack him. Lets hope the little guy is ok after 4 days in the mail.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
So update, little guy arrived yesterday in great shape despite being in the mail so long. I housed him and he seems to be adjusting very well and even ate for me already. I'm also very happy with his activity level, he hides under a piece of cork bark or a leaf but is periodically active, I even see him out during the day with regular frequency and he hasn't burrowed down and disappeared like my polymorpha did when I got it (I see the polymorpha maybe once a month). Expect photos soon!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh those are so cool, it's the sps that first got me interested on a field trip many years ago. ime they do well with one end of a container having dry, rocky substrate and the other end with a hide and flat rock with a mix of sand and coco fiber underneath, open screen top and source of water in a corner, at least something like a Gatorade bottle cap.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Oh those are so cool, it's the sps that first got me interested on a field trip many years ago. ime they do well with one end of a container having dry, rocky substrate and the other end with a hide and flat rock with a mix of sand and coco fiber underneath, open screen top and source of water in a corner, at least something like a Gatorade bottle cap.
Yep my ventilation is high as I didn't actually use a jar like my polymorpha is in but, instead I used a tall smooth rectangular container with no lid I have sitting inside a 10 gallon tank which has silicone edges removed and the top is steel screen. I figure once he is big enough I can just move him into the tank itself as a permanent home. Also has a small shell for a water dish since I didn't want him drowning in something too large, cork bark for a hide, plus some leaf litter and the substrate was recently expanded from a compressed coco fiber brick so is moist currently but as it dries out I will moisten one end only to make a moisture gradient.

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Cute 'lil guy. He already has a fine mustache! Can't wait to see him grow into a fearsome beast.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Update, he has been named Ocean man and is doing quite well for me, I actually get to see him out fairly regularly as he isn't especially jumpy compared to my polymorpha and other pedes I have been around so I can actually watch him eat out in the open fairly often. Great species so far gets a 10/10 for being super cool.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I am out to buy one of these haha. Lucky you, they are such beauties. Curious though, how often do you water/ mist it?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I am out to buy one of these haha. Lucky you, they are such beauties. Curious though, how often do you water/ mist it?
Same. I've been looking actively for sources on them, and even locations near me but absolutely no way to get them. Gigantea? Sure. Heros? Good luck next time. :(

NYAN

Arachnoking
Funny you say that actually, I was thinking the same thing. How is a United States native harder to find for sale in the United States than a South American species?