New Camera

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After months of being on a waiting list I finally tried war calling around the country and found a D3 in a shop in Chicago. The body arrived yesterday and I snuck out this morning to give it a trial run...

I think I'll keep this one.

Cheers,
Mike

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow mike, it's been like two years and you are still blowing me away with your photography skills. I'm thinking the man has much more to do with these great pictures than the camera. :]

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful photo. :) I've been wondering where you've been. Always liked your photography. I hope you'll stick around and show us what else you can do with the new camera.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a very nice pict and captures this time of year well :clap: :clap: --- phil

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Well LONG Time ..

as usual

amazing shot !!!!

:worship: :worship: to your picture taking abilities :worship: :worship:

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys,

I only shot a few frames yesterday and meant to do more today. I woke this morning and headed out to the biltmore house. The skies were cloudy but I thought perfect as long as it doesn't rain too much.

As I pulled into the parking lot the sky opened up and proceeded to dump copious amounts of rain on me. What the hell, I thought, might as well get a few shots of the interior. I boarded the trolly and away we went.

Upon entering the house I looked around the foyer for any indication that photography might be off limits. I didn't see any signs to that effect so I started threading my way through the masses.

Just to let you know, the house is beautiful but it's a cave, the lighting couldn't be worse. In the third room I noticed a fairly interesting tree so I opened up the crumpler, pulled out the D3 attached to the 17-35, cranked the ISO and took a shot. Immediately upon turning to leave the room I noticed a security guard running in my general direction.

When he reached me he barked "NO PICTURES IN THE HOUSE, DON'T MAKE ME TELL YOU TWICE" to which I responded, "tone". He looked at me for a moment and asked what I had just said, again I stated in a calm voice "watch your tone".

He paused for a moment and then lifted his wrist mic to his mouth and said in a much lower voice "suspect has been advised". Slightly amused by this action I also raised my wrist to my mouth and said "SWARM, SWARM". I actually didn't mean to yell it as loudly as I did but it just came out that way. In a room packed with tourists, these words attract a LOT of attention.

Mr. security officer was not amused, I could tell by his expression and by the red crept up his neck and ears. He shot me his best stern look to which I countered a smirk and then as he was gone, almost as quickly as he had appeared.

So here it is, my only shot of the day.....

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just curious - did you use an enhancing filter on the tree shot?

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope, set the levels in capture and a light USM in PS, thats it.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, I'm sorry you meant the first one.

No filter for that one either, the midtone caught a particular channel and I chose to stick with it. I'm rather fond of the effect though I have had trouble reproducing it.

PinkZebraBooty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great to see you back, Raindog, great photographs, both of them, and GREAT story! It's so sad when people go into jobs with a teeny bit of power in order to compensate for their teeny weenies!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great to see you back, Raindog, great photographs, both of them, and GREAT story! It's so sad when people go into jobs with a teeny bit of power in order to compensate for their teeny weenies!
LOL...funniest thing I've read all day

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love the pictures! (especially the first tree.) Wow! I have never seen a morning light like that. Amazing!

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've seen some amazing mornings having worked nights for so many years.
the world can be a beautiful place.
its even better when there good photographers like raindog who can capture a moment of beauty:)

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've seen some amazing mornings having worked nights for so many years.
the world can be a beautiful place.
its even better when there good photographers like raindog who can capture a moment of beauty:)
I couldn't agree more. I need to start carrying a camera around with me. On a drive to work one morning, after a good ice storm, the sun was just coming up and the way it was shining through the trees on the side of the road, made it almost look like golden glass. It was STUNNING, and I wish I would have had a camera on me. I would have stopped and taken a few pictures...

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One way to get the most out of a moment like that, Alexis, even if you don't have a camera... Get out and experience it for long enough to have had the chance to get a few good pictures..

It's a literal stop to smell the roses and it may sound cliche but it really connects you with the moment in a meaningful fashion. That is part of the beauty of photography for the photographer... it's an excuse to stop and really capture the moment through your perception of it.

It's beautiful.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I'm sorry you meant the first one.

No filter for that one either, the midtone caught a particular channel and I chose to stick with it. I'm rather fond of the effect though I have had trouble reproducing it.
I too like the effect and was curious how you obtained it

Another question - have you ever used Adobe's Lightroom and if so, what's your opinion of it.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I couldn't agree more. I need to start carrying a camera around with me. On a drive to work one morning, after a good ice storm, the sun was just coming up and the way it was shining through the trees on the side of the road, made it almost look like golden glass. It was STUNNING, and I wish I would have had a camera on me. I would have stopped and taken a few pictures...
If you enjoy photography, make it a point to ALWAYS have a camera with you. It neednt be anything fancy, and you dont need to carry a bag full of gear everywhere - just a camera and an eye looking for a moment to capture. It's a pisser (and a lesson) when you see a great shot and cant capture it

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you enjoy life you're always looking for a moment to capture ;]

Better yet... if you're always looking to capture the moment, you will enjoy life. :]

All I'm saying is camera or not, stop and soak in the moment.. I love how being into taking pictures trains you to do that.