"New" blue tarantula?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Link sent to me by a friend who is aware of my interest in tarantulas.
At first I thought it was going to be concerning C. lividum until I noticed the location.
An attractive blue tarantula that is less likely to try and kill you might be popular.

The date of the article is December 2017, so this may have already been thoroughly discussed and I missed it.

https://www.thedodo.com/in-the-wild/blue-tarantula-species-discovered-south-america

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Very cool Rain forest are being destroyed to build pomegranates and sugarcane plantations. Sad times hope some of these make it hobby someday and don’t end up a dodo spider.
Once enough forests are gone might not enough to keep the air oxygen & co2 levels correct. Could be very bad, and food chain collapses are bad. Dodo birds about as real as conservation of wildlife in today’s world of greedy corporations.

boina

Lady of the mites
Somehow this does not look like a NW spider to me at all - the elongated carapace, the utter lack of urticating setae, the whole shape... it very much looks like an OW to me. Of course, without the urticating setae it could belong in the Neoholothele group, but they don't have elongated carapaces... Are we really sure that this isn't fake, that someone wasn't just joking around? Or is the article real and they just put pictures of the wrong spider in there? After all the sighting was supposed to be at night, right, and the pics are clearly day time pics? Are we all really beliving that an obviously female spider would be out of her burrow on a piece of bark just hanging around during bright daylight?

Edit: Tapinauchenius. Maybe a relation of a Tapi. Still the pic looks somehow fake to me.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
@boina I agree. I thought the same thing when I saw it. Everything about the pic just seems wrong if you ask me. It has a terrestrial shape, yet is on the tree commingled out of a tree hole (not impossible but I'm just thinking it would have a ground burrow), mixed in with the fact that it is out in broad daylight leads me to think it was placed there and could have been photoshopped with those colors, or maybe it is a different species with those colors. Either way, I doubt this is really from there.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
It doesn't have the long legs of an arboreal T and it definitely looks stocky enough to be a fossorial or a terrestrial, and they also said they were found communally. This sounds too good to be true and honestly I'm a little skeptical. To me it basically looks like a P. sazimai without the red hair on the abdomen. It could be that we have a new member of the Pterinopelma genus or this could all be fake, I think all we can really do is wait and see.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@boina I agree. I thought the same thing when I saw it. Everything about the pic just seems wrong if you ask me. It has a terrestrial shape, yet is on the tree commingled out of a tree hole (not impossible but I'm just thinking it would have a ground burrow), mixed in with the fact that it is out in broad daylight leads me to think it was placed there and could have been photoshopped with those colors, or maybe it is a different species with those colors. Either way, I doubt this is really from there.
Could be from somewhere old world or even a photoshopped T. Can a new world not have hairs?
Could be a fake pic too

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
At first I thought it was going to be concerning C. lividum until I noticed the location.
An attractive blue tarantula that is less likely to try and kill you might be popular.

The date of the article is December 2017, so this may have already been thoroughly discussed and I missed it.

https://www.thedodo.com/in-the-wild/blue-tarantula-species-discovered-south-america
That's so cool!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I posted this a while back!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Once I noticed the date, I figured it had likely been covered. But I figured I'd toss it out just in case it had not been.