New beginnings

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
So, as I've mentioned, I'm just getting back into scorpions and other arachnids after a 10 year hiatus and today I had my first "reward". I know it's a common event, as our collections get larger (I'm up to 28, with more on the way), but it's exciting to me, nonetheless! One of my H.jayakari left me this gift, after just having come to live with me in the last month. I suspected the scorpion was in premolt, so now that it has finished, it is comforting to know I still have good instincts.

Attachments

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
Hottentotta is such a rewarding genus of the buthid scorpions to keep. Congratulations! How many instars in is it now?

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always love it when one of my scorpions molt. It only happens when I'm at a concert though. :shifty:

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
I'm guessing this puts them at the 5th or 6th instar, but I don't recall what instar they came to me as. They were well started and at least 1 1/4-1 1/2" long already. They easily take adult crickets.

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
I have a bunch of Hottentotta that I have no idea which instar they are. Makes it a little difficult to keep good records, but it's still fun to see them grow! Guessing instars is always tough!

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
That would make it convenient, but would make for a wicked metasoma to deal with!! Heck, I don't even want to imagine that.