New babies and a future in communal living.

Zizkamaus

Arachnopeon
Ok, first off, she needs to stop squirting them out...

My emp of 5 months just started giving birth yesterday. I don't think she has eaten any as the number appears to have grown considerably. I was also pleasantly surprised to find the setup I have is completely wrong. (Hot, dry, with reptile sand.) I am ready to change her environment to make it humid with some nice substrate, but I don't want to interrupt her birthing process as she is particularly pissy at the moment.

Is it ok to confine her at this point or should I wait another day to proceed with changes?

Also I generally just keep 5 to 10 crickets in her tank to feed on as she pleases, but I don't want to chance the crickets eating babies. Is this foolish thinking or will it still be safe to keep a couple at a time.

I was also told to put some mushed crickets in a small cap in the tank for the babies, but will they or mum even touch it?

Also, has anyone had success with a community setup? Say a couple females in a 20 gal? I'd like to keep some of the babies, but space is an issue.

Thanks in advance guys.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the 20 gal should be good for a few months, but as the babies age, it'll become small quick.

Don't rush with the changes. Do mist what is in there now (mist the sides and the sand, not the scorps.) even with sand, a high humidty will help things out greatly. you can also use plastic wrap on the top to help hold in some of the moisture.

get the crickets out
there is never a reason to have so many crickets in a tank. None of my tanks have crickets. I feed my scorps 1 cricket each every 2-3 days.

No need to put any "mushed crickets" in the tank. The babies have about 2 weeks before their first molt, and then about another week after that before they leave mom and start fending on their own.

Zizkamaus

Arachnopeon
I think she is devouring the first baby as I write this...

I spoke to someone who suggested seperating them from her after 3 days. Will they harden at all that quick because they appear extremely fragile and mushy at this point. And if I have to seperate, how do you care for these tiny things?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd highly suggest NOT removing them

besides just protection, it has been seen that 1st instar scorplings also recieve much of their dire needed water from mom as they ride on her back (Vannini et al 1985)

just up the humidity and leave them alone

if a scorpling is consumed, it is part of Natural Selection.

Zizkamaus

Arachnopeon
I can dig that. Last question for now. I noticed that she seems to be popping them with her stinger when the babies move around on her back. Is this normal or am I seeing things? They haven't dropped off yet, so I can only assume if she is stinging them, that this is normal in some way...