New B.vagans juvenile sealed burrow

Daniel Evans

Arachnopeon
Hi , new to site.

Got my first T (unsexed Brachypelma vagans) last Friday as a 7 cm juvenile. I haven't fed it yet as i have been following the Tarantula keepers guide, it has a water dish and i have misted his enclosure a few times.

Within the first two days it had made a burrow and blocked off it's main entrance and made another at the corner of the enclosure. However by day four it had completely sealed off it's burrow.

My question is essentially is this normal behaviour for a new T ?

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes! ;)

That's what my B. vagans juvie did when I first got it.

Turmbau zu Babelx.jpg

It took him/her (still unsexed, because it never brings out its moults :shifty:) a few weeks and then it came out freshly moulted.

Don't mist the enclosure. That does nothing, because the water just evaporates very quickly. Overflow the water dish every now and then, or moisten a corner of the enclosure by pouring water directly on the substrate. You can rotate the moistened area to avoid mold problems.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You can leave a prekilled feeder in front of its burrow. Maybe it opens it up in the night and finds the feeder. If it's still there in the morning, remove it. I normally don't offer any more food when they sealed up their burrow until they emerge again, but because you haven't fed it, you could try it a couple of times (with some days or a week in between) to be sure it's really in premoult. Just don't put any live feeders in there for now until you know what's up with your T. :)

Daniel Evans

Arachnopeon
You can leave a prekilled feeder in front of its burrow. Maybe it opens it up in the night and finds the feeder. If it's still there in the morning, remove it. I normally don't offer any more food when they sealed up their burrow until they emerge again, but because you haven't fed it, you could try it a couple of times (with some days or a week in between) to be sure it's really in premoult. Just don't put any live feeders in there for now until you know what's up with your T. :)
Ok thanks for the help

Thekla

Arachnoprince
yes

A juvie vagans is a great hunter, theres really no reason for pre kill at that size.
I absolutely agree. :D My juvie never got any prekilled food, I was just being cautious, because the OP apparently doesn't know if it's in premoult or moulting right now. ;)