New B. Smithi owner - adequate terranium?

jt14286

Arachnopeon
Please can you give me some advice as to whether this terranium is suitable for my new B. Smithi? :) I have 3 things I am not sure about (also any other adjustments I should make!).

1) She is a girl about 2 years old, she's only been in here a day I haven't seen her digging but she is pretty lively and very very curious walking around and pushing a lot on the corners, ventilating mesh and lid, which made me wonder if she should be in a bigger enclosure?

2) Also: the moss - is this nice or irritating for her do you think?

3) I put a chip of terracotta (not sharp) in the back corner half burried in substrate. This morning she has moved it and put it into the middle of her hide >> does this mean it's an irritance or that she likes it and it's interesting? I kind of think the latter in which case, should i put more stimulating things in like a dry leaf/ another smooth stone/ bit of wood?

I am getting a heat mat very soon I know she needs that. Thank you so much for all and any help and advice!! Hugely appreciated.

Attachments

sasker

Arachnoprince
I am getting a heat mat very soon I know she needs that.
Wait, what? Who told you tarantulas need heat mats? Keeping your tarantula at room temperature is enough. Heat mats can work, but are rarely required. They are often wrongly applied, resulting in a overheated enclosure. Rule of thump: if the temperature is comfortable for you, it is fine for your tarantula as well. Use a space heater, instead of heat mats and heat lamps.

jt14286

Arachnopeon
Ooh i think I just saw in videos/ care sheets that they need one under half the container to keep a constant temperature of around 25c and so they can regulate their body temperature better. Thanks very much though good to know it shouldn't be necessary!

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Ooh i think I just saw in videos/ care sheets that they need one under half the container to keep a constant temperature of around 25c and so they can regulate their body temperature better. Thanks very much though good to know it shouldn't be necessary!
That is complete nonsense, please disregard that completely.
Can you share that video? Really curious...

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I don't see a water dish, she should have one with just clean water in it. I'd also remove the terra cotta chip, no reason for it to be in there.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ooh i think I just saw in videos/ care sheets that they need one under half the container to keep a constant temperature of around 25c
It's very difficult for new tarantula owners to sort through the proper advice and utter non-sense. It's not your fault. Having found Arachnoboards was really fortunate for you and your tarantula.

A heat mat could be used, but placing it under the terrarium is pretty much the worst thing you could do. Tarantulas instinctively burrow to hide from the heat (sun), but it will only get hotter if it starts to dig.

Forget about caresheets, they are often too generic or just wrong. They also often send you off chasing exact temperatures and humidity levels, which is not necessary (so don't buy a hygrometer, they are usually garbage anyway)

Many keepers who post clips on YouTube have no idea what they are doing, so don't follow their instructions. There are some good ones, like Tom Moran, the Dark Den and a few others.

Welcome to AB, by the way. Your enclosure does not look too bad. How is it set up ventilation-wise?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
When you go online and read care sheets the majority of them have information that was outdated probably even at the time they are written. They are also riddled with misconceptions and many of them are literally copy pasted from each other with the words changed a little. The most current and accurate information can be found here on the boards. As for the enclosure, a heat mat is not needed and can be very dangerous if not used correctly. As long as the room stays from about 70-90 degrees you're golden. A tarantula should also always have a water dish present to drink if it needs to, and I'm sure you read you should put a sponge or stones in the dish too. Disregard that, tarantulas wont drown. I think your substrate might also be too moist, this species should be kept dry.

jt14286

Arachnopeon
Hey all, thank you so much for all this info. I saw the heat map recommendations on these sites https://www.thebts.co.uk/keeping-tarantulas-the-basics/ (where I bought her from) & http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/care_...e_tarantula_care_sheet_brachypelma_smithi.htm and a few others, they do say not to put them under. Very good to know that care sheets are not useful or accurate I will make sure to make full use of this great forum instead. Yeah they did say buy a hydrogemeter! Thank you everyone for your responses ^.^ very helpful and reassuring.

In terms of ventilation the enclose has a 2ish cm wide strip of mesh along the length of the back wall - is that okay?

This is all really useful to hear - I have put in a bigger water dish now (the other one was a little hidden and had some mud in it - and yes- a stone). Greasylake > if the substrate is too moist how do I check/ change that?

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Hey all, thank you so much for all this info. I saw the heat map recommendations on these sites https://www.thebts.co.uk/keeping-tarantulas-the-basics/ (where I bought her from) & http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/care_...e_tarantula_care_sheet_brachypelma_smithi.htm and a few others, they do say not to put them under. Very good to know that care sheets are not useful or accurate I will make sure to make full use of this great forum instead. Yeah they did say buy a hydrogemeter! Thank you everyone for your responses ^.^ very helpful and reassuring.

In terms of ventilation the enclose has a 2ish cm wide strip of mesh along the length of the back wall - is that okay?

This is all really useful to hear - I have put in a bigger water dish now (the other one was a little hidden and had some mud in it - and yes- a stone). Greasylake > if the substrate is too moist how do I check/ change that?
I'm a newbie myself, have a B. Vagans, and a B. Hamorii sling. If I've learned anything/can give any tips, I'd say try to replace the mesh backing as tarantulas have been known to tear through it. Here's a thread I found on the forums on that topic http://arachnoboards.com/threads/eight-legged-can-openers.160896/

About the humidity/substrate, Just occasionally overfill the water dish a little bit. If you're unsure, it is better to err on the drier side.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
B.hamorii does best in arid environment, meaning dry substrate and no overflowing the waterdish. She'll tell you if the substrate is too wet, she'll be living on the walls in that case.

Enclosure looks fine to me, although I would ditch the moss. This species needs no moisture, and they hate walking on soft surfaces, and feeders will love it to hide under and live another day ;)
Make sure you tamp the substrate nice and firm (use gloves! She probably already kicked hairs in the enclosure, so touching anything with bare hands means itching hands) for the same reason.

Unless your temperatures are consistently below 18°C, I wouldn't worry with a heat mat.
Waterdish just with water in it, no rocks or anything, Theraphosids can't drown, they float on water.

I've seen way worse first set ups, nice job :)

jt14286

Arachnopeon
Excellent advice everyone ^.^ I replaced the substrate with much drier substrate (better compressed) and she seems much happier, spending more time walking around and in the hide, less time on the walls :) thank you so much. Omg hadn't heard of them breaking mesh! So happy to have found this forum yayy