New B. Albopilosum Keeper-A molt story and advice?

Willa

Arachnopeon
Experience and molt anecdote/question?

I am brand spanking new to the tarantula scene and I did a solid two months of research before getting my first tarantula (combination of tarantula forums, Tom Moran's videos, etc.). I chose a juvenile brachypelma albopilosum because the species came highly recommended, and was readily available in my area. I was very excited to find him (I don't know if it is male or female, but I say he because I gave it a male name) on his back and getting ready to molt after creating a nice cozy mat and refusing food for a few days beforehand. And only two weeks after purchasing him!

However, the molt was not terribly like those I had seen before from husbandry videos and tarantula forums. He got mostly out of his shell after about 6-ish hours of nothing (I recognize this is normal enough), but with his back legs still in the molt, he got up and wandered around his hide, dragging his molt, before flipping back over and finishing the job after I had gone to sleep.

I made sure he was well finished before bothering him a few hours ago, and removed the discarded molt to make sure there were no pieces stuck or missing. It seems he got all the exoskeleton off, but he did pluck of one of his own legs as it got stuck in the molt. He molted overnight when I was sleeping, so there isn't much I could have done, and I have not spotted any bleeding, nor is he hobbled by it. In fact, he was a bit peeved (he kicked a few wee hairs after being a complete lamb for two weeks) when I took the molt. He even moved more after molting than the whole time I have had him. I suppose he had just been sluggish from preparing to molt. I also recognize that being a younger one, he is likely to stay in his hide more than be out and about.

Anyhow, anecdote aside, does anyone have advice on how to perhaps avoid this in the future, if possible? I have to say, it was also super interesting feeling how truly soft exoskeletons are. (No, I did not touch him. I prodded the discarded leg that was caught in the molt.) I am still learning the ropes here, so please let me know if I should move this to Questions and Discussion. I am not so worried as I am curious, and not terribly concerned, but I love hearing from people!

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Haven't had much stuck molt problems myself, but there are a lot of threads on it happening and how to remedy it. The only time it has happened on one of my slings was at the spinnerets and applied some water with a qtip and it was fine. If a tarantula thinks a leg will hinder it they will remove it and will be back to normal in a few molts. Enjoy the hobby and try not to dive in to fast and welcome to the forum.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well... bad molts happen and they can lose legs and probably even worse. But your little guy seems okay. If he lost a leg, then he will get back his next molt. How big is this guy? If he's big enough, you can sex the molt to determine if he is a boy or girl. T.'s (short for tarantula) can go through mood changes with each molt.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Moult mishaps are not common, but they do occur. Making sure that you have his environment set up properly goes a ways in preventing them. Making sure that he has enough water to drink as well.
If you would like feedback on your setup, feel free to post photos so people can make any recommendations.
Tarantulas can become very lethargic when in pre-moult. In the days ahead, you will get a much better sense of his normal behaviour.
It could have been some sort of damage, that took place before you go him, that contributed to it. It is better that they discard the leg than have a damaged one that could cause problems in subsequent moults.
Please make sure that you leave it a few days to feed him to allow his fangs to harden up.

Willa

Arachnopeon
If he lost a leg, then he will get back his next molt. How big is this guy? If he's big enough, you can sex the molt .

The molt is a bit torn up, so I won't have much success with it, but he maybe has a 2.5 diagonal legspan, though I haven't seen him fully stretched out before.

Willa

Arachnopeon
Moult mishaps are not common, but they do occur. Making sure that you have his environment set up properly goes a ways in preventing them. Making sure that he has enough water to drink as well.
If you would like feedback on your setup, feel free to post photos so people can make any recommendations.
Tarantulas can become very lethargic when in pre-moult. In the days ahead, you will get a much better sense of his normal behaviour.
It could have been some sort of damage, that took place before you go him, that contributed to it. It is better that they discard the leg than have a damaged one that could cause problems in subsequent moults.
Please make sure that you leave it a few days to feed him to allow his fangs to harden up.

Yep, I am aware of the no feed rule after the molt! :) I also have a nice wide, shallow dish that I keep fresh and full in the corner where it is easily accessible (non chlorinated water ofc). As for his enclosure, I purchased one from Jaime's tarantulas (I had to go with something special for my first guy, plus I love the look of it!), and added my own touches. I know it is a bit large. I have since removed all the sphagnum moss (I put it in as décor, but I don't think he likes it at all, so I pulled it). For the hide, I have a sturdy, smooth plastic half log (I checked it thoroughly for any snags, rough patches, and whatnot). For substrate, dry coconut fiber. The air where I live is SUPER dry on account of winter, so I keep the corner by the water dish damp, but avoid misting the whole place. I plan on adding some more substrate (it's @ 2 inches in depth) when he is done hardening, because there is more height than I need. I do keep a heating pad on the far side (adjacent to, but not on) with a reliable thermostat that has a sensor in the cage (I live in a very drafty and cold house). I monitor it very carefully, and while I don't have a humidity gauge (as I know they are not too accurate and t's don't need super specific conditions), I do make sure it's all good in there! Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, and I am very thankful for everyone's help and advice!

Attachments

Last edited:

Willa

Arachnopeon
HOLY SMOKES I DID NOT REALIZE THEY COULD BE SO BIG AFTER A MOLT! He has grown noticeably!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
HOLY SMOKES I DID NOT REALIZE THEY COULD BE SO BIG AFTER A MOLT! He has grown noticeably!
Yes, they do that! :rofl: But seriously, it’s pretty fascinating when you think about it. If you ever own a male pokie, you’ll be totally gobsmacked at how big these guys can get with their moults. In 18 months I had one go from .75 inches to 5.5 inches.

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
386397B8-D168-4207-8E35-C8C469634658.jpeg I have an 8x8x14 Jamie’s cage for mine too. My house is also cold on occasion so a few of my spiders are in my Boa’s cage a 5 foot Showcase cage. I was already heating it and I have the temperature and humidity dialed in pretty good. The boa gets along with the T’s as does my ball python.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think the largest jump I have ever seen is with my female Acanthoscurria geniculata - she went from 3 - 4.5" in one moult. It is very impressive sometimes. He will continue to stretch out even more in the coming days, until his exoskeleton has completely hardened.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yep, I am aware of the no feed rule after the molt! :) I also have a nice wide, shallow dish that I keep fresh and full in the corner where it is easily accessible (non chlorinated water ofc). As for his enclosure, I purchased one from Jaime's tarantulas (I had to go with something special for my first guy, plus I love the look of it!), and added my own touches. I know it is a bit large. I have since removed all the sphagnum moss (I put it in as décor, but I don't think he likes it at all, so I pulled it). For the hide, I have a sturdy, smooth plastic half log (I checked it thoroughly for any snags, rough patches, and whatnot). For substrate, dry coconut fiber. The air where I live is SUPER dry on account of winter, so I keep the corner by the water dish damp, but avoid misting the whole place. I plan on adding some more substrate (it's @ 2 inches in depth) when he is done hardening, because there is more height than I need. I do keep a heating pad on the far side (adjacent to, but not on) with a reliable thermostat that has a sensor in the cage (I live in a very drafty and cold house). I monitor it very carefully, and while I don't have a humidity gauge (as I know they are not too accurate and t's don't need super specific conditions), I do make sure it's all good in there! Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, and I am very thankful for everyone's help and advice!
Yes, I'd definitely say it needs more substrate. I can't see the little guy, but as this is an adult enclosure, I'm pretty sure there's too much space between the substrate and the top.

Don't be afraid of a bit of moisture. ;) Your B. albo will appreciate it, especially now after moulting. I keep the substrate for my B. albos slightly damp all over, especially now in the winter when heating dries the enclosures out quite quickly. You're right to not mist, just pour water onto the substrate, so it'll be able to seep in.

And don't let an apparently torn up moult fool you. You need to soak it into water (with a drop of dish soap) for a few minutes and then carefully try to spread it out. You'd be surprised how much can be done. ;) This might help:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're nice cages, and although they are expensive, they're good looking and sturdy. What kind of t's do ya have in there with that cute noodle? (I can see his nose poking out and it's adorable.)
Do you have some phot
Experience and molt anecdote/question?

I am brand spanking new to the tarantula scene and I did a solid two months of research before getting my first tarantula (combination of tarantula forums, Tom Moran's videos, etc.). I chose a juvenile brachypelma albopilosum because the species came highly recommended, and was readily available in my area. I was very excited to find him (I don't know if it is male or female, but I say he because I gave it a male name) on his back and getting ready to molt after creating a nice cozy mat and refusing food for a few days beforehand. And only two weeks after purchasing him!

However, the molt was not terribly like those I had seen before from husbandry videos and tarantula forums. He got mostly out of his shell after about 6-ish hours of nothing (I recognize this is normal enough), but with his back legs still in the molt, he got up and wandered around his hide, dragging his molt, before flipping back over and finishing the job after I had gone to sleep.

I made sure he was well finished before bothering him a few hours ago, and removed the discarded molt to make sure there were no pieces stuck or missing. It seems he got all the exoskeleton off, but he did pluck of one of his own legs as it got stuck in the molt. He molted overnight when I was sleeping, so there isn't much I could have done, and I have not spotted any bleeding, nor is he hobbled by it. In fact, he was a bit peeved (he kicked a few wee hairs after being a complete lamb for two weeks) when I took the molt. He even moved more after molting than the whole time I have had him. I suppose he had just been sluggish from preparing to molt. I also recognize that being a younger one, he is likely to stay in his hide more than be out and about.

Anyhow, anecdote aside, does anyone have advice on how to perhaps avoid this in the future, if possible? I have to say, it was also super interesting feeling how truly soft exoskeletons are. (No, I did not touch him. I prodded the discarded leg that was caught in the molt.) I am still learning the ropes here, so please let me know if I should move this to Questions and Discussion. I am not so worried as I am curious, and not terribly concerned, but I love hearing from people!
All one can do is leaving the tarantula alone during moulting and make sure it has water avalible! Usally moulting goes smoothly! I am curious to se your little guy! Post a pic or to!

Willa

Arachnopeon
Post a pic or to!

I don't have very many because I have a pretty crappy camera, but this first one is the day I brought him home. I am not home right now, but hopefully once his exoskeleton hardens up, I will be able to bother him and get some decent pics! (It's hard to tell, but I think he is at least a half inch bigger than in this photo.) And the other is the fresh molt pic. I was really surprised at how nice he looks!
t.jpg Screenshot_20190302-003840.png

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
They're nice cages, and although they are expensive, they're good looking and sturdy. What kind of t's do ya have in there with that cute noodle? (I can see his nose poking out and it's adorable.)
The cage on the left has a female G. Pulchripes and the one on the right has a Nicaraguan B. Albopilosum.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
@Wyoguy069 ,cant add anything in regards to your spooder,you already got great
advise,but its nice to see a T keeper from the "Cowboy State".
Its my home state,still love it.Im in southern Wyoming,its called Colorado.:D.
Good luck with your animals.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I have an 8x8x14 Jamie’s cage for mine too. My house is also cold on occasion so a few of my spiders are in my Boa’s cage a 5 foot Showcase cage. I was already heating it and I have the temperature and humidity dialed in pretty good. The boa gets along with the T’s as does my ball python.
Errr....what? :wideyed:

You are keeping T's in with a boa and ball python? Wow, mmmm-kay.

The needs of T's and snakes are very different. Even if the T and snakes are best buds, not a good idea at all. Sheesh.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I think he meant they are in the same room/area as the snakes...I hope.