New Australian Tarantula - The Rattle Snake Tarantula

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More potent venom than normal too
If you have a source that has rated the potency of Tarantula venoms, classed by Genus/species, I would be interested. If you could please refer us to your source info, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Folks...yes, there is a paper out there based on some research of the effects of Australian theraphosid venom and the reactions of humans and canines to it. It was a small sample size but the canines had 100% fatality where the humans just experienced pain and discomfort (like you would expect from an Old World T).

Isbister, G. K., Seymour, J. E., Gray, M. R., and Raven, R. J. 2003. Bites by spiders of the family Theraphosidae in humans and canines. Toxicon. 41: 519-524.

Chris

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
AUSTRALIA'S TARANTULA OR WHISTLING SPIDERS
Family Theraphosidae

Robert J. Raven, Queensland Museum

this article here mentions there effects of there venom

http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/therres.html

TOXICITY

The fangs of Selenocosmia vie with some snakes for length and stretch. The venom quantity delivered is quite extensive and I have personally seen a jet of venom spray upward several (10-15) centimetres from the spider enraged by an imperfect regenerated leg joint. The worst human reaction to the bite of Selenocosmia is 6 hours of vomiting. At the least, I would expect two deep cuts with a strong potential for infection. Dogs and cats, however, fare far worse. Death usually occurs within 30 minutes.

Copyright Queensland Museum, 2000

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info.:)

I thought a Tarantula had to be classified before it could be legally exported from Australia?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Folks...yes, there is a paper out there based on some research of the effects of Australian theraphosid venom and the reactions of humans and canines to it. It was a small sample size but the canines had 100% fatality where the humans just experienced pain and discomfort (like you would expect from an Old World T).

Isbister, G. K., Seymour, J. E., Gray, M. R., and Raven, R. J. 2003. Bites by spiders of the family Theraphosidae in humans and canines. Toxicon. 41: 519-524.

Chris

You beat me to it.

:)

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is one of the coolest stridulations ive heard from a T. very odd.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is a brand new genus so at the moment all we know it by is "rattle snake T" It should be available to you guys at some stage but we have to get them to 2nd gen captive bred before export is allowed. The guy who owns this T is a member here, i think its "tropicaltarantula's" or something along those lines

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"I have personally seen a jet of venom spray upward several (10-15) centimetres from the spider enraged by an imperfect regenerated leg joint."

I pulled this from the quote syndicate gave. I find it rather amusing that a T can be enraged by a bad regeneration, to the point of spitting venom. :?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I find it amusing that so many like to antagonise. Seriously, funny how the previous threads went nearly unoticed, yet debate threads explode. This is really something unique and new, yet so many just fixate on the posts of ther rather than making thier own statements......:? I hope to hear more of this new genus and less corrections to peoples opinions.....;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"I have personally seen a jet of venom spray upward several (10-15) centimetres from the spider enraged by an imperfect regenerated leg joint."

I pulled this from the quote syndicate gave. I find it rather amusing that a T can be enraged by a bad regeneration, to the point of spitting venom. :?
I find it interesting that a T can be enraged period lol

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting on the fact that the venom seems really bad for dogs/cats. Has anyone heard of a pokie biting a dog or cat?

Also, do the other Phlogius stridulate?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so your saying you'd rather get stung by an ant then bit by a Sydney funnel web :X
yep..the ants especially one species is more dangerous then most of the inverts in Australia...the funnel web though venomous, i still have a better chance of recovering from then that ant.....

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heres a link thats kinda interesting...most healthy adults with proper medical attention will rarely die from envenomations from the most venomous of insects....the ants i guess because your in more frequent contact with but again the rules apply...

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/spiders.html

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While no expert in Australian taxonomy, why do we think this is a new species/genus?

It LOOKS like a Selenocosmia crassipes to me... Sounds a little like one too.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While no expert in Australian taxonomy, why do we think this is a new species/genus?

DrAce. This may help clear things up a bit. Seems we are talking about the same species here. Please pay close attention to the last line:

The Barking spider (Selenocosmia crassipes) is a species of tarantula native to the east coast of Queensland, Australia.

Phlogius Sp.Crassipes can attain legspans reaching lengths of up to 8"(20cm) with a few specimens reaching 22cm with body measurements from 7-9cm, and has been described as Australia's largest spider. The young spiders burrow under rocks or roots; in adults, these burrows can reach a length of up to two meters and are lined with much silk. The adult males look very different from the females. They commonly prey on insects and small vertebrates such as frogs, mice, and lizards. There are two species in Australia closely related to Phlogius Crassipes, being Phlogius Sp.'Sarina' and Phlogius Sp.'Eunice'. Both Tarantula's can attain legspans of 7 - 8 inches, with Sp.Crassipes boasting the thickest build followed by Sp. Eunice and Sp .Sarina the thinnest.

It is often confused with Phlogiellus species, and these are often sold in petshops as S. crassipes.

Last edited:

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
These will be arriving in the US soon...
Not likely. We only have one captive specimen at the moment...

Nah mate. Not at all the same.

Swifts has about 5 different Australian spiders that stidulate.
I believe the genus is PHLOGIOUS. At least that is what the Aussie T's at swifts are labeled as.
Yeah, there are plenty of Aussie Ts that stridulate but this is by far the loudest. It definitely isn't the genus Phlogius.

Also, it's a fact that Australian Ts are more venomous than your commonly kept species. As with most O.W Ts they have a more potent venom and bites in people illicit nasty symptoms, and death in dogs/cats is definitely not unheard of.

ummm i'd be interested in the potency aspect but like many and i say this loosely, "deadly species" there are many exaggerations to the facts...i'd be more worried about the ants in Australia, then i would ever be of the T's and spiders.....yet i would like to hear what steve n. thinks
Aussie Ts aren't deadly to humans. Nobody said that. I would not be more worried about our ants than our spiders... At all. Ants are lowest on the list of bugs I don't wanna get bitten by, and I live here. Give me an ant any day; there's so much stuff here to kill me I'd happily take an ant.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no worries i was talking about Myrmecia pilosula...i guess alot of people are allergic to it.....

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would not be more worried about our ants than our spiders... At all. Ants are lowest on the list of bugs I don't wanna get bitten by, and I live here. Give me an ant any day; there's so much stuff here to kill me I'd happily take an ant.

Even the jack-jumpers? I heard on TV that they're super aggro with a nasty sting that a LOT of people are allergic to. The same show said that (african?) bullet ants still have the most powerful sting tho'.