New arrivals! Super Mini

omni

Arachnobaron
I really enjoy the Paraphysa, and I'm very excited to take on a project with a species newly imported this year. I give many thanks to Todd Gearheart for making this possible by bringing these into the US hobby.
These are the first pics of my adult pair of Paraphysa sp. "North Bronze", eager to climb out of the cups to stretch as soon as they were opened.

The Female, 2.6"(6.6cm)

and the 'micro-T' male, fully hooked at 2.1"(5.3cm)

These are a WC pair, both in excellent shape, no scruffiness you might expect from wild specimens. The female has regenerated leg 3 R-side, lost possibly 2 molts ago but is healthy and plump. I'll get better pics soon and post them in the genus gallery.
They are so small and cute, you almost want to try pairing them in your hand:D

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice pics and spiders, thanks for sharing!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pick up. Good luck on breeding these guys, we need more dwarf species in the hobby:)

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are beautiful. (I have two P scrofa.)

If you get a viable sac, I would certainly be interested.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very cool

I love my P. scrofa's and this new P. species looks like an amazing addition to the hobby. Good luck!

omni

Arachnobaron
Update

Hopes are dwindling w/ this pair :( Male hasn't eaten or reloaded since late Feb. and his movements are slowing down. No successful pairings to date. Female chases him off every time. Once, she ran... She has been to now, placed in his habitat and observed closely for various periods of 4 to ~14 hrs, 2x per wk.

I might try a 5gal tank set up, letting them cohab w/ lots of places for him to hide. I had been using his 6qt tub placing her in there w/ him since she's less defensive there. She doesn't look like she's gonna molt anytime soon so Fingers Still Crossed!

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish you the best of luck! I agree, we need more dwarfs in the hobby!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hopes are dwindling w/ this pair :( Male hasn't eaten or reloaded since late Feb. and his movements are slowing down. No successful pairings to date. Female chases him off every time. Once, she ran... She has been to now, placed in his habitat and observed closely for various periods of 4 to ~14 hrs, 2x per wk.

I might try a 5gal tank set up, letting them cohab w/ lots of places for him to hide. I had been using his 6qt tub placing her in there w/ him since she's less defensive there. She doesn't look like she's gonna molt anytime soon so Fingers Still Crossed!
possible she is already bred

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How do you know that the male and the females are the same species?

omni

Arachnobaron
There is that possibility, and bring many worries to me. I believe they are, but only based on coloration and the seller's solid reputation. As far as I know less than 6 were imported, and nobody is posting pics of theirs anywhere. It's like they are keeping it all hush-hush:confused:

Since I haven't had any successful pairings, I'm thinking seriously to lay off attempts at breeding them until the variety is described. The female is still neat, and not going anywhere. Last thing we need is hybrid Paraphysa.
I'll preserve the male when his time comes, not long now tho I fear. He's not looking so good.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:eek: If the mature adults are that size, how small are the slings?!?! :eek: