New arrival and I want your opinions...

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
Uh-oh. Tarantulas don't usually get dehydrated. In fact, it's much more common for beginners to kill them by overwatering because they fear 'dehydration'. Especially Avics need to be kept DRY! Dehydration is not a concern for most tarantulas with very few exceptions. Your post makes me fear that you are watering your tarantulas to death.
I should clear myself up. I just found out what a wet moult was yesterday, my first A.avic had a wet moult, I thought she was dehydrated and I had somehow killed her. My current A.avic got dehydrated after her moult (her abdomen was very small), she was still new when I had her so she didn't know where the water bowl was so I dripped some water and she drank it up. Never had an issue since, but it's still something I look out for after my T's have a moult

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That looks more like a Chilobrachys or selenocosmia than any Psalmopoeus. I'd ask for a refund if it does.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I should clear myself up. I just found out what a wet moult was yesterday, my first A.avic had a wet moult, I thought she was dehydrated and I had somehow killed her. My current A.avic got dehydrated after her moult (her abdomen was very small), she was still new when I had her so she didn't know where the water bowl was so I dripped some water and she drank it up. Never had an issue since, but it's still something I look out for after my T's have a moult
arboreals seem to commonly have shrunken abdomens after molting. this is different than a wet molt.

I wonder could this be what happened to my P. metallica? see I owned two P. mettalicas because i wanted a female, but after a year with them one began to molt, it had done so fine before, but this time was terrible, I saw it was starting, but when I went to go check the next day I found my T destroyed practically, it seemed to get out partially but a very gross site with it legs bent and all, i dont know what really happened its hard to describe, and I wasn't really thinking "oh my prized and beloved T is dead let me photograph that". I should have though to try and understand, I thought it was a fused molt or something.
Saddest day of my life, all I can think is I did something wrong.:(RIP Sapphire

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feel like I should ask the seller for a refund on this spider and send it back to them if they cover postage.
Read all your posts- def get your money back if possible.

arboreals seem to commonly have shrunken abdomens after molting.
This isn't an accurate statement. I've been raising arboreals for decades, OW and NW. The 2 factors I have found to determine abdomen size after molting are 1. Species 2. How much they were fed, ie fat, before molting. 3. Level of hydration

I have an Avic for example, she varies between being fat and quite slender after molting.

The same is true for terrestrials too.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Read all your posts- def get your money back if possible.

This isn't an accurate statement. I've been raising arboreals for decades, OW and NW. The 2 factors I have found to determine abdomen size after molting are 1. Species 2. How much they were fed, ie fat, before molting. 3. Level of hydration

I have an Avic for example, she varies between being fat and quite slender after molting.

The same is true for terrestrials too.
not going to argue with that, I guess I retract my statement, must be species, my P. metallica was fairly fat before it molted then radically skinny, and hydration was no problem.
but you also say it varies so it wouldn't be far from accurate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not going to argue with that, I guess I retract my statement, must be species, my P. metallica was fairly fat before it molted then radically skinny, and hydration was no problem.
but you also say it varies so it wouldn't be far from accurate.
Not sure if you understood, what I meant by varies, meaning within the same specimen. There are times when she and a few other of my arboreals come out from a molt, and look like they don't need to eat.

It's not due to being arboreal was my point, thus not an accurate statement by you.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Not sure if you understood, what I meant by varies, meaning within the same specimen. There are times when she and a few other of my arboreals come out from a molt, and look like they don't need to eat.

It's not due to being arboreal was my point, thus not an accurate statement by you.
understandable then a more accurate stent would be, Tarantulas in general tend to at times have shrunken abdomens after molting.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
UPDATE-

So, seeing as she was eating a little, I decided to bump up the temps and continually feed.

She was very picky when eating so I thought maybe it wouldnt work out.

When she stopped eating completely I thought she was going to pass.

But in this case I was lucky. I caught her on her in her web tube moulting. She was struggling a bit and a couple of her legs were stuck. So I intervened and got her free, with all limbs attatched.

Here is a couple pictures I took this morning :)

1D5C14DB-0672-46DE-BF89-B72A79605123.jpeg 931FA15C-E092-42A7-92C7-FA4BF9C83D68.jpeg

Looks much more like a Psalmopoeus now ahaha :D

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
UPDATE-

So, seeing as she was eating a little, I decided to bump up the temps and continually feed.

She was very picky when eating so I thought maybe it wouldnt work out.

When she stopped eating completely I thought she was going to pass.

But in this case I was lucky. I caught her on her in her web tube moulting. She was struggling a bit and a couple of her legs were stuck. So I intervened and got her free, with all limbs attatched.

Here is a couple pictures I took this morning :)

View attachment 292934 View attachment 292935

Looks much more like a Psalmopoeus now ahaha :D
Looks like a completely different spider! It’s great that you were able to help her out!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Glad she made it through! P reduncus are beautiful, and ive been waiting to add another to my shelf.

Hopefully she isnt a "problem child" and all her future molts are easy going

Ive raised a few ts that always seem to have molting issues. Sometimes they figure it out and get right, sometimes they never quite learn and end up passing.

boina

Lady of the mites
Very pretty! You may convey my best wishes for her health to her ;).