1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New arrival and I want your opinions...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by KezyGLA, Oct 7, 2018.

1. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    Yesterday I received some Ts. One of which was a subadult P. reduncus.

All spiders arrived alive but it was only after housing them that I noticed the scruffy looks of the reduncus.

To me it looks like its previous molt was a wet moult. I have had a couple specimens have this happen before and they died before making next moult. I have heard others who have had these experiences say the same and that their spiders died. Seemed that after wet moults they are doomed.

So I said to the seller that it looked rough and asked when it last moulted. He sent me a photo and said it was taken July 31, a week after last moult. It also looks rough there. Not fresh and looks to be wet moult ImO.

Now, personally if I had a speciemen that didnt look healthy then I wouldnt sell it. I feel like I should ask the seller for a refund on this spider and send it back to them if they cover postage.

I have attached a few photos and would like to see what you think.

The sellers photo from 31 July (week from moult)-
    734CCED1-F711-44A2-9649-2B57B96C84E0.jpeg

Here are a couple that I took after housing it yesterday-

85EE3DEF-BF52-4E69-85CF-16297C1532C0.jpeg E3A3C1A1-131B-4BB5-A43C-9D2968D63817.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

I personally would. If a someone is selling something (be it an animal or product), I'd want it in as best condition as possible especially since you paid for a healthy T. Not sure why the seller decided to send that specific animal over, if I were them I would have waited until the next molt.

3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    What are the red flags to you? I’ve never had a P. reduncus but I don’t see anything that looks out of place in those pictures.

4. KezyGLA

Yeah, if an animal aint looking healthy I dont sell it until recovered (if it ever does). I have received a wet moult B. emilia before that ended up with impaction and died. Another one was wet moult C. lividus that just wouldnt eat didnt take long to die after.

These are the only times I have had this prior. But they looked in similar shape to this reducus. Squinty legs, rugged setae, like the chitin didnt harden properly.

I dont know much about ‘wet moults’ in particular. So extra info and advice is appreciated.

I doubt this specimen will make it to the next moult.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. KezyGLA

Attached Files:

6. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Have you dealt with this seller before? If he is a “stand up” guy, my thought would be that the mere proposition from a buyer that he sold a substandard animal would be the catalyst for him to do the right thing by way of either a refund or exchange. So, in answer to your question, yeah, confront him, cordially at first. However, if that doesn’t work maybe progressively less cordially.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I agree, that reduncus looks decidedly off. Whatever the problem is it shouldn't have been sold. I'd most definitely complain.

These things don't always work that well in mainland Europe, don't know about the UK...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Yeah, you should definitely ask for a refund. If not negative review, simple as that...unhealthy spiders shouldn't be sold if you want to satisfy your customers.

Its a bad practice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KezyGLA

Never dealt with him before. He was selling of a FB group. Unsure if he is well known but his packaging was very good. Makes me think he is experienced.

I have started a ‘cordial’ chat with him but I am awaiting a reply.

In UK live arrival guarantee is standard, so refund if dead. But it arrived alive. But receiving a dying spider I dunno. Selling unhealthy Ts is just not the done thing.

I dont know if the dude will be phased if I stick up a bad review. Seems like private seller just shifting some collection. Hopefully can work something out with him.

10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

That sucks man, one of the reasons I don't buy from unknowns unless were in person and I can see the spiders.

11. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire

This opened my eyes! I couldn't figure out what killed my first T and I realized it was a wet moult. How does one prevent that from happening, or is there nothing you can do?

12. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

13. KezyGLA

Seller is ignoring the situation, saying it moulted in his care and the moult was good and he doesnt know what i’m talkingr about. I tried to tell him it doesnt nean she got stuck in it, just that she didnt harden right and there had been complications and she probably wont make it, but he just ignored me.

But I did ask him has it been eating well and he says its been eating a large cricket every week or so. I highly doubt that though as it is looking real skinny.

If it doesnt make it, then I will dispute for money back.

Nothing you can do, unfotunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    • Sad Sad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I hope your new tarantula will make it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire

That makes me sad but also relieved, I thought I had killed my tarantula! I thought it was dehydration so I've been keeping an eye out for it for my other Ts, so perhaps it was a good thing I thought that. I might've lost my other A. avic who got dehydrated if I didn't think of that.

16. KezyGLA

She is eating now, hopefully can push her to next moult

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  17. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Yay! :angelic:

18. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    That new arrival looks well off, I would suspect a wet moult too.

19. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Annoying situation indeed, but, anyway, T's that eats are always a sign of 'hope', so a bit of solace :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Uh-oh. Tarantulas don't usually get dehydrated. In fact, it's much more common for beginners to kill them by overwatering because they fear 'dehydration'. Especially Avics need to be kept DRY! Dehydration is not a concern for most tarantulas with very few exceptions. Your post makes me fear that you are watering your tarantulas to death.