New Alipes Grandidieri, First pede, has anyone used this enclosure for similar sized centipedes?

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Bought an Alipes sp. Tanzania (which along with his armor like scutes makes me think Grandidieri) at the Scott Smith all animal expo today, and I decided to use a bugarium to house it. It looks tall enough, and the top looks pretty secure. It's only about 3 to 4 inches, and the supplier said his hasn't gotten much bigger than that. I've heard that they like both moist substrate AND good ventilation, so I haven't put an acrylic panel over the screen (yet). He seems ok, he immediately started to burrow under the cork bark (as I'd hoped it would). I'm happy to take any and all advice, I've read up on centis and Alipes specifically for a couple weeks now, but nothing beats experience .

Attachments

Scoly

Arachnobaron
The cage is perfect for size and ventilation, and given the manufacturer I assume the lid secure. The only thing I'd say is only keep half the substrate damp, the other half dry. I don't have experience with Alipes myself, but a lot of centipedes have problems (i.e. die) if they are kept on sodden substrate all of the time (even though ventilation seems ample in that setup).

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
The cage is perfect for size and ventilation, and given the manufacturer I assume the lid secure. The only thing I'd say is only keep half the substrate damp, the other half dry. I don't have experience with Alipes myself, but a lot of centipedes have problems (i.e. die) if they are kept on sodden substrate all of the time (even though ventilation seems ample in that setup).
I'll definitely watch him to look for signs of stress. I read in a recent ish thread that Alipes like it on the wet side of moist. At the very least, I'll keep the ventilation open and I threw in some spring tails.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I'll definitely watch him to look for signs of stress. I read in a recent ish thread that Alipes like it on the wet side of moist. At the very least, I'll keep the ventilation open and I threw in some spring tails.
You'll have done more research than me on the species then, so go with that. Some species have no problem with a perpetually damp substrate, others do. My take on it is that no pede needs wringing wet substrate, so I don't give that to any of them, there's always damper parts under the surface anyway. This also really depends on the substrate itself, you seem to be using peat moss or coco coir, both of which are nowhere near as problematic as topsoil/compost, so you'll probably be fine as long as you keep the ventilation. If you find it sitting on the bark too much that may be a sign that the soil is too wet, or that it is too hot.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Hey, sorry to revive this thread, but what brand is that tank, OP? I’ve had a similar one that didn’t have a locking lid, but something like yours would make an awesome centipede enclosure!

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Hey, sorry to revive this thread, but what brand is that tank, OP? I’ve had a similar one that didn’t have a locking lid, but something like yours would make an awesome centipede enclosure!
Its the Zoomed creature den, which is essentially the bugarium but with the snap on lid. Would definitely recommend for smaller pedes. I bought this particular one at a convention held in Wheaton Illinois, but I'm fairly certain you can buy them at PetSmart. If you want the Snap-on lid, make sure you're getting the creatures den and not the bugarium. The packaging is almost identical.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
If you want the Snap-on lid, make sure you're getting the creatures den and not the bugarium. The packaging is almost identical.
Thanks a ton! Yeah, I had the bugarium. Looks like I’m going to petsmart tomorrow!

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I wonder if one can buy that snap lid separately somewhere as a good upgrade to the Bugariums.....