1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New additions

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Swoop, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    Now I know what you're thinking. "Swoop just had new additions last week." That is correct. And you might be asking yourself, "Did he just buy every tarantula within an hour of him on craigslist?" Yes. Yes he did.

So here's what I got for $225 and a two hour round trip! All are at least 3".

0.1 B. smithi
    1.0 Eupalaestrus Campestratus, apparently hooked out 6 months ago :( but maybe I'll find him a girlfriend
    0.0.1 G. pulchra
    0.0.2 G. pulchripes
    0.0.1 B. sabulosum
    0.0.1 B. albopilosum

And on top of that the seller threw in "a colony of feeder roaches," which turned out to be 800 dubias! Lots of dead ones in the bottom too though so they freaking stink :yuck::vomit: What am I going to do with 800 roaches!? I only have 12 T's big enough to eat them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. You got some good Ts there especially the GP!!

Depending on how far dead the roaches are your Ts might still eat them.

Don't worry about 800 roaches becausee this is a very addictive hobby....this week alone in total i have 9 on the way...6 tomorrow and three Friday!!! Lol...

Before you know it you'll have 20 lol.

If you plan on breeding tarantulas in the future on your next purchases try to buy at least two of the same species on each purchase to increase your chances of getting a female.

Besides breeding reasons females live longer than males generally speaking anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Swoop

Texas
    Well I already have 18 altogether lol. The 12 juvies/adults and 6 slings. If I order online I'll get multiples but can't always do that on craigslist cuz I'm buying small collections.

The MM is tapping on the plastic a lot. Makes me sad but on the plus side he's still energetic.

4. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Get more animals or sell the excess to fund your addiction hobby.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm not sure If you knew about them but I inboxed you some reputable breeders so you can have a ton more options now to buy!!

Lol

@Swoop

6. Swoop

Texas
    You guys are bad, bad influences!

I really jumped in to keeping T's (a month ago I had 0, now I have 18 including an adult L. violaceopes and a sub-adult pokie) but not sure I want to breed yet, if at all. It's one thing to keep one spider that could potentially bite the bajeezus out of me; it's another thing entirely to have hundreds of slings depending on me, even if just for a few weeks.

I appreciate the leads tho :) I'm joining local reptile/exotic groups to hopefully find him a lady (and unload some of these FREAKING DUBIAS) and if that doesn't work I found a vendor looking for one in the classifieds. Posted in the Invertsonals too. I'm not ready to be a spider grandpa but I owe it to this spider that I met four hours ago to get him laid!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnoknight

Ohio
    We aren't doing our jobs right if we didn't influence newcomers to become addicted.

8. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    All of your Ts can eat them. If they are too large you can cut them to the right size and feed multiple slings with one roach. Once you get them re-housed they will start hatching nymphs and those can be fed to slings. I give my extra to a friend to feed his chickens.

9. Swoop

Texas
    I already have a colony of mealworms, B. lateralis, and 50 of the 20 crickets I bought from Petco a while back (I guess they didn't want to count 'em :hilarious: ). The mealworms, lateralis and now dubia's were all given to me with T's I bought. I've been using the mealworms and crickets for slings cuz they're the easiest to catch. As far as problems go this is a good one to have though. Maybe I'll keep the roaches and get some dermestid beetles to clean them up.

This morning I fed and watered the new arrivals. All four grammies ate right away, the B. sabulosum had a molt in his enclosure and he looks fresh so I left him alone. Pulled the molt out and rehydrated it to take a look, that was hella cool. Male I think, no snail eyes in or around the flap. Couple others I've bought had molts but they were too little to see anything, it was cool to be able to identify the sex, book lungs, and sucking stomach. Oh, and the fangs :joyful:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spare roaches? Get more spiders. Or a chicken. Orrrr a lizard. Or all three. If you maintain the colony, youll probably end up having enough for all three.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Graves6661

Graves6661 Arachnosquire

I accept all donations of roaches and or crickets lol. I only have two Ts at the moment but My chameleon and leopard gecko eat all my feeders. The chameleon alone eats 15-20 crickets (slightly less roaches) every day or two.

12. Swoop

Texas
    Come get as many as you want! No shipping though ;)

Seems like I'm going to keep them. Only person who answered my ad wants to pay 1/4" prices for 1/2" to 1 1/2" roaches. Gonna order 100 dermestid beetles later today and get the colony cleaned up.