New addition!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Great castaneiceps. How large is it compared to the other heros you have?

NYAN

Arachnoking
The arizoneisns is about 6.5-7 inches bl. This one is about half that in size.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
So jealous. They are crazy expensive this side of the pond :-(

Scoly

Arachnobaron
What do they normally go for? Also don’t you all get hardwickei and South American pedes cheaper also?
Yeah we have a couple Hardwickii breeders here (As in 2 across whole of Europe AFAIK) which retail at between £55 and £80 a pedeling (so $75 - $110) when available, but go really quick. And Thorsten Trapp who gets SA giants and sells them here: www.scolopender.de, where as you can see the giants are around the 250 euro mark (so $300), which is still overpriced IMO.

Scolopendra heros when available, go for around 250 euro mark (so $300) too, sometimes more. Last time I saw a castaneiceps it was closer to $400.

There are numerous tarantula dealers who get dehaanis and occasionally something else like a different subspinipes, a polymorpha, morsitans or even an ethmostigmus type.

It's odd that we get polymorpha cheap but not heros, as far as I know neither are really bred here. If anyone has any ideas on how to get heros out of the US over to Europe, please PM me, and if we find a legal route, I'll get you hardwickii in return. I looked into it a while back but it's really not feasible unless there are large quantities because of the fees. I also know you find heros in Mexico, so was wondering if there was a possibility of sourcing from there.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That castaneiceps has some growing to do. Heros can get big, I had one that was 9.5 inches, it was the castaneiceps variety. 6-7" is the average ime.
I also know you find heros in Mexico, so was wondering if there was a possibility of sourcing from there.
I don't know what's up with Mexico but I haven't even heard of US dealers trying to get stuff from next door here. It may be the language barrier but there are a few things I'd like from there also.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
One of the nicer looking heros morphs from the deep Mexican desert is the black-headed, black antennae, blue terminal h. heros. Looks like arizonensis at first glance but is so much more. Most of the other stuff isn't even identifiable. If anyone can get Mexican 'pedes to the US or to Europe... that'd be a great accomplishment.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have family in Mexico and I haven't been there since 2009 because none of us have felt safe crossing the border. I think that's the case for most people here in the U.S. and until things start clearing up I doubt many people will be trying to go on collecting trips down there. I know there's a gorgeous species of tarantula in South America that's not available in the hobby because the area that it inhabits is controlled by the cartels and not even locals will go in there and I think that would be the case for certain parts of Mexico too. Now that being said I have caught A. Hentzi and other butterflies and beetles in Mexico when I was younger and brought them back as deadstock specimens, but I have no idea what the process of bringing live animals back would be like.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
However, with that said when things start clearing up I would love to go to Mexico to A) visit my family and B) see if i can arrange a trip to look for some neat centipedes.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Does anyone have photos of the Mexican heros morph? I don't think I've seen it before.