New Addition Phormictopus cancerides or Acanthoscurria geniculata

Depro900

Arachnopeon
Hello all I am wanting a new addition and am looking into a couple new world terrestrials. The 2 different ones I am looking into include the P. cancerides and the A. geniculata just wondering if you had to choose one which would it be and why? Im looking for a great eater, fast growing and relatively hardy specimen that wouldn't mind drier conditions as an adult. Also preferably wanting the one that kicks hairs the LEAST as I am pretty allergic. Aggression is not an issue as most of my collection is old-world specimens! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
What a dilemma. Both are beautiful, eating like tanks, have and they are big too. I've had both of them, and none of mine ever kicked hairs on me, but I guess I got calm specimens. It is really hard to decide between big black spider with beautiful purple tint on it, and big, black spider with bright white stripings on knees.

So, why not get both??

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
One? Wow that is a hard one since i am raising both. A. geniculata care is probably the most simple, although P. cancerides care is very simple as well. Both are monsters come feeding time. The A. geniculata may be more appealing to some as far as color is concerned, but the P. cancerides is stunning as well. Honestly if i were you i would get both.

Depro900

Arachnopeon
What a dilemma. Both are beautiful, eating like tanks, have and they are big too. I've had both of them, and none of mine ever kicked hairs on me, but I guess I got calm specimens. It is really hard to decide between big black spider with beautiful purple tint on it, and big, black spider with bright white stripings on knees.

So, why not get both??
Just trying to save on space as I usually grow up 2-3 slings to increase odds of a female but I may just have to get both. :D

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
You suck for having us choose one over the other. :rage:
Given what you want in your next T, I would suggest you get a P. cancerides. Way less kicking vs. geniculata. Came from a place with less rainfall vs. origins of geniculata.
But srsly. Get both.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I have A. geniculata and P. sp green. Both are pretty similar in everything (except the look ofc;) But Phormictopus is much more defensive, less kicking hair, but more biting ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you don't already have a Murderess* then you should get a Murderess*.

* 0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata DTTI (Death To The Infidels)

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have an A. geniculata and a P. cancerides. Both of them are great eaters and always out. Out of the 2 the cancerides is the winner in attitude, I once tried to distract him while tried to get his water dish out, didn't work.... even with 2 roaches in his fangs he still tried to grab the tongs, lol. The genic is much easier to work around, will go into her hide when you open the enclosure but when food hits the ground watch out. They are both awesome, you should get both.

Depro900

Arachnopeon
I have an A. geniculata and a P. cancerides. Both of them are great eaters and always out. Out of the 2 the cancerides is the winner in attitude, I once tried to distract him while tried to get his water dish out, didn't work.... even with 2 roaches in his fangs he still tried to grab the tongs, lol. The genic is much easier to work around, will go into her hide when you open the enclosure but when food hits the ground watch out. They are both awesome, you should get both.
Hmm you put up a rather good fight for both sides. I started out thinking I would get 'just one' this time but looks like its not going to happen! ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the way genics look. So, that makes it easy...I would take the phormictopus all day.

For a pet that you basically just watch, I think you have to at least find a tarantula to be slightly visually appealing. Everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes when it comes to appearance. If you find yourself getting mad that I don't like the way genics look, keep in mind that you probably don't like something that I adore. It's a matter of taste, and not something to get mad about.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I have both and really would have a tough time choosing between the two.
My genic attacks everything that moves. Comes out as soon as soon as I approach.
My cancerides also attacks anything moving but hides when I open its enclosure.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Im looking for a great eater, fast growing and relatively hardy specimen that wouldn't mind drier conditions as an adult. Also preferably wanting the one that kicks hairs the LEAST as I am pretty allergic. Aggression is not an issue as most of my collection is old-world specimens! Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Both species fit your criteria pretty well. Great eaters, fast growth rates, and they tend to stay out in the open.

Never seen either species kick. P.cancerides usually go straight for the threat pose, genics tend to be less defensive and more skittish. They will go after you if they think your food though.
20180124_214023.jpg
20180217_152029.jpg
If you want size, I would go for the cancerides. They get massive, the female pictured above measured 7.5" on her last molt. And the growth was significant.

As for sub, adults can handle dry conditions pretty well, but should still be kept with some moisture.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I have a 4"+ A. geniculata - it never fails to impress with its eating response, size of prey it readily takes down, I have no experience regarding the P. cancerides - from what owners of the P. cancerides are saying it's a murder tank as well - so if you have the space - go on get both, there are just so many true gems available, it's hard to choose just one - good luck with a nice dilemma....

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Both is the obvious choice, but if you are really concerned about dry conditions, phormics like it dry, genics like moist substrate.

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
I understand thee beauty and appeal of Genics, on my list for sure, but very intrigued about Phorms/P. Cancerides. I see they're pretty highly regarded here on the boards and it is kind of pulling me towards them. Is it the attitude matched with the size potential that's such a draw?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I understand thee beauty and appeal of Genics, on my list for sure, but very intrigued about Phorms/P. Cancerides. I see they're pretty highly regarded here on the boards and it is kind of pulling me towards them. Is it the attitude matched with the size potential that's such a draw?
That’s why I like them. Also I just like their fuzziness and metallic colored carapace.

cold blood

Staff member
Both is the obvious choice, but if you are really concerned about dry conditions, phormics like it dry, genics like moist substrate.
Both species should be kept on damp sub...of the two, the genic is more tolerant of dry conditions.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Both species should be kept on damp sub...of the two, the genic is more tolerant of dry conditions.
My female phormic seems to really dislike moist substrate. But she could just be weird.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Here's my "Murder Tank" - taken five minutes ago, such an impressive stance - "I'm Boss" - that roach barely hit the ground....
Mines prefers it dry....with a full water dish....