New A. Versi setup

Ratfinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alrighty... well my 2 A. Versi slings are coming in tommorow.
I got each one, one of those larger salt shakers with the handle from Walmart.
1.5-2 inches of peat moss in each, and a little twig.
My main question is .. when they start webbing isnt it mainly on the top of the shaker?.. Wont i destroy the web everytime i take the salt shaker lid if it is attached to it?...
Other than that how does this look/sound?
Should I wet the peat moss or leave it how it is...
thanks...

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How small are the s-lings? I'm not sure of the salt shaker you are describing do you have a pic? If the s-lings are 0.5-1" I would suggest a container similar to what I got from the dollar store here. It's 2x2x3.5 inches. If you glued a stick to the bottom via a hot glue gun leaning to the side about 1/2-3/4 of the way up the jarthen fill over it with an inch or so of substrate it should be fine. about the webbing the top, cross your fingers lol

Ratfinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yah I also wanted to mention i drilled about a zillion holes all along the sides of boht of them too.. all the way down to where the substrate is...
Other question is... a few of the holes Id say are about the size of a matchead to be able to get through. The slings are apparently 1/2 an inch and the legspan of about a nickel apparently. They couldnt squeeze through those holes could they? I wouldnt think so but you never know..

Ratfinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pic of the salt shaker. This is not my pic but someone who uses them as well..

Last edited:

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this shaker is fine, i have kept numerous Ts in this exact shaker and never had a problem. I also have a good friend who keeps slings in these and they've all done fine as well.

The versis will probably make webbing attached to the top and it will mess up their construction when you open it, but not too badly, I'd use it and not worry about it, it's not like you're going to open it daily anyway, just make sure it doesn't hop out when you take the lid off.

Those shakers have many holes on the top and provide fine ventilation. Ever see what many dealers/breeders keep their slings in? Most aren't as well ventilated as that shaker.

make the substrate moist, not damp or wet though.

Ratfinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jetzi read my second post.
I drilled holes all around it to the handle.
Prolly 50 extra holes around the sides.

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you lean a piece of bark (or several sticks) at an angle, the sling will prob'ly build his web under where the top of the bark meets the glass/plastic, so no problems opening the lid.

Ratfinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does everything else seem fine?
noone has answered my hole size question yet...I bet i could get a matchhead or 2 through.. the T couldnt squeeze through could he?
Any more opinions on pre wetting the peat?

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pre-wetting the substrate depends on the background humidity where you live.
The enclosed air in the jar will probably be about 10-20% higher than that, without even misting or adding peat etc.
theres no need for moist substrate with arboreals if you can maintain humidity another way- misting/water dish

There was another thread similar to this very recently: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48998

I don't reckon crix will get out thru the holes, but locusts might.

Last edited:

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The general rule of thumb with regards to "escape holes" is that if their abdomen can fit, everything can fit. As long as the holes are smaller than the abdomen, the ma-fa's tip top.

Ratfinger said:
Does everything else seem fine?
noone has answered my hole size question yet...I bet i could get a matchhead or 2 through.. the T couldnt squeeze through could he?
Any more opinions on pre wetting the peat?

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Don't believe that!
Their abdomen is the most pliable part of their body, they can squeeze it through very small holes...and they WILL, the little buggers. I have had T's get through holes I was sure they could not.
So if you are having doubts...its a good sign they could get out. Go smaller than you think, that's my advice.

On the plus side, the poster is talking about an avic. In my experience, the avics do not go far, and are easily recaptured. Heck, they basically come back, sit in the open and beg you to pick them up after two weeks of no water or food.
I doubt you could lose these guys if you tried!

Oh yeah, I don't bother with substrate for my larger avics. Just a water dish. I'm always wiping out the bottom and sides because they like to spray their poop.
D.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Based on the pictures I would be concerned the holes in the sides of the salt shakers are too big. These little guys can fit through some extremely small holes. When I drill holes for slings, I use nothing larger than 1/16" of an inch.