New A. avic molting / eating concerns

Mercaptan

Arachnopeon
Hey all -

Recently picked up an A. avic from a pet store around 3 weeks ago. Got the habitat setup, ate three days after purchase. Attempted feeding 3, 4, and 5 days after first feed, and T was uninterested. T then totally enclosed itself in a web and has been in there for 2 weeks, meaning no food for about 3 weeks now.

T does move and change positions throughout the day. Habitat is climate controlled to about 75 degrees with a lamp and pad, humidity around 50%. Water dishes changed regularly.

Anything I can do here to intervene or just wait it out? Very concerned about the T's well- being and worried I made a mistake. Had a T a decade ago and it went very well, I can't remember any instances like this happening.

TLDR; thought T was going to molt, has been enclosed in a web nest and without food for 2.5 weeks.

DesertDweller256

Arachnopeon
I don’t own this species so I won’t say much but in general, tarantulas can be in pre-molt for varying amounts of time and this is normal.

If a T has blocked itself off from you and everything else, it shouldn’t be bothered. As long as you are doing the husbandry correctly and not interacting directly with the T, it will be fine and will come out on its own if it needs to.

Not sure how others would feel about the lamp and the pad, but again, I don’t own this species. Good luck! Owning only one or very few Ts is a test of patience for sure

Mercaptan

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the response. Looking at some other historical posts here it seems like I should be concerned around 4 or 5 weeks?

I should mention the lamp and heat pad are due to the location of the enclosure, which averages around 65*F ambient and can get down as low as 60*F.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You need to post photos, please. You need to get rid of the lamp and the heat pad - both are going to do nothing except dehydrate your spider. If you need to raise the heat, then you need to keep the overall area warmer, or create a greenhouse affect with another enclosure. And you will never need the lamp. Please read the Avicularia care information found at the beginners thread that is in my signature.
They don't need to eat everyday. Once a week is fine for juveniles and adults.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing you should or could do based on the limited information provided. Nature does what nature does.

The feeding frequency, you do know Ts go for long periods w/out food, right??

Fat T- 5 weeks- so what
Skinny T- 5 weeks- could be an issue all depends on what's going on.

amp and pad
I would get a space heater. This is a great way to kill your Avic, so is worrying about humidity values- sure fire to kill an Avic

Very concerned about the T's well- being
Read up on Avics, your Ts life depends upon it.

Mercaptan

Arachnopeon
Local pet store people recommended the heat lamps and pads, gotcha. I was beginning to question their advice so I turned here.

I'll see what I can do about raising the room temperature, but the ambient space is definitely on the cooler side and running a space heater may not be an acceptable option.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Local pet store people recommended the heat lamps and pads, gotcha. I was beginning to question their advice so I turned here.

I'll see what I can do about raising the room temperature, but the ambient space is definitely on the cooler side and running a space heater may not be an acceptable option.
My A. Avic literally just finished molting as I sit here typing. It was quick and successful. Prior to her molt, she fasted for 4 weeks. I won't be feeding her for an additional week- a week and a half. Avics like DRY!! They do not need the humidity. Just a water bottle cap full of water at the bottom of the enclosure. They'll crawl down to get it, or use a pipette for water droplets on the web. Please get rid of the heat pad and lamp ASAP. You will kill your Avic.