Never thought a tarantula can stuck like this

Dabalya

Arachnopeon
Last night i saw my tarantula in strange position.She was hanging on the wall of enclosure but her legs were stretched vertically to the wall. I thought it was just another T thing and didn't do anything.But after 20ish hours she was still hanging like that so i tried to touch her leg from above.As you can see the roof of enclosure it's "metal net" and after i touch her leg she started to move all her legs except the one on the roof.After few more touches and looking from diffirent angles i was sure her leg was stuck there.Lucky i was able to remove her without any injuries.

Her position before i touch her.Her other legs are on the glass door.
glass.jpeg
Her hanging position after i open the door but it was just for split second.I didn't want her to injure her leg.
I opened the roof put my one hand on below her and one on the way she is heading and saved her from her embrassing position.She should be ashamed :D
glass.jpeg
This is her after the rescue.She is completely fine.
fine.jpeg

Attachments

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
This is the exact reason why it is recommended that mesh lids be replaced with acrylic.

There is another concerning thing. I can’t tell exactly but it would appear that there is a substantial amount of available height in your setup. If you could provide additional photos of the entire enclosure that would be most appreciated, to see what all is going on there.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Soooo many posts/threads about how the mesh lids aren't appropriate for Ts for this exact reason. It also looks like your enclosure is shaped more for an arboreal?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Exo tera aren't suited for Terrestrials. Go for kritter keepers or modified glass tanks if you want a nice clear enclosure.

Dabalya

Arachnopeon
This is the exact reason why it is recommended that mesh lids be replaced with acrylic.
Soooo many posts/threads about how the mesh lids aren't appropriate for Ts for this exact reason.
I didn't know about tarantulas stucking on mesh lids.I will replace it with arcylic.Thanks for informing.

It also looks like your enclosure is shaped more for an arboreal?
There is another concerning thing. I can’t tell exactly but it would appear that there is a substantial amount of available height in your setup. If you could provide additional photos of the entire enclosure that would be most appreciated, to see what all is going on there.
Tarantula is looking way smaller than she actually is on these photos because of the light/angle and her positioning.She is a bit bigger than my hand(not counting fingers.grown male hand)when she is standing in normal position.But i am not expert so let me know if you think it's bigger than is should be.

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’d still switch it to a KK or a sterilite tub with ventilation holes. A call from that height could most certainly mean death.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It isn't that the enclosure is too big, it is that the height is too much for a terrestrial (ground dwelling) tarantula. You need an enclosure with less vertical height. Aside from that, it is a really pretty set up!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had this problem with a few of my terrestrials, where they'd climb up and get their claws stuck in the screen top. I didn't know any better when I bought the enclosures - but I got lucky and was able to help them down without any of them suffering any lost or damaged limbs. I was able to circumvent the problem without having to replace all my lids by raising the substrate level so they could touch the ground even if they were swinging from the chandelier. Since I did that, I haven't had any problems with stuck spiders. They seem to be able to get themselves up and down safely. (I still intend to swap out some lids eventually, though.)

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Another reason to avoid mesh lids is the T can actually chew through the wire and escape (just heard about this myself not too long ago).

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
There is a reason why people tell you to replace these lids, they aren't doing it to be awkward...

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
All you have to do is remove it or make layers so the T can save itself. An extra bit of cork is cheaper and easier than the mesh mod.

I'd love to see this eating through mesh thread, post or pics, keep just hearing like the bible. My LP's would chew the crap out of it but chewing through, no chance

Last edited:

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Yeah nice one I found that thread a few minutes ago too mnate but I see no chewing through, just small holes which was normal. I'm on about chewing through and escape I keep hearing about. I'm not trying to be funny, if its actually happened i'd love to see it as it's quite worrying if it's possible.

I'm more referring to Exo's (which is what most say dont use the mesh lid) rather than someones attempt at it

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Yeah nice one I found that thread a few minutes ago too mnate but I see no chewing through, just small holes which was normal. I'm on about chewing through and escape I keep hearing about. I'm not trying to be funny, if its actually happened i'd love to see it as it's quite worrying if it's possible.

I'm more referring to Exo's (which is what most say dont use the mesh lid) rather than someones attempt at it
Post #11 in the thread:
Once they get a small hole, they can squeeze thru.
They chew a small hole, then can squeeze through.

Last edited:

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
I hear what you're saying mate but I see that as someone putting a sling in a mesh covered viv. If it bends them it can squeeze out a gap without breaking anything. I'm on about a fully grown Pokie or whatever bending and breaking the mesh and getting its whole adult body out. The example in the thread is like a cat squeezing out of jail bars.

The guy in the post says they aren't stupid but he put a sling in a mesh covered viv and didnt anticipate it could bend a bit and get out. Lets take the OP's T, how is that going to get out through chewing.

Slings can escape from mesh that kind of a given, what about adults

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 10.32.16.png

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
I guess if you use that cheap Aluminum mesh you may have issues but adult or juvenile escaping from an EXO (which is what the OP has) never seen or heard of it. Rather than someone just saying they can

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I hear what you're saying mate but I see that as someone putting a sling in a mesh covered viv. If it bends them it can squeeze out a gap without breaking anything. I'm on about a fully grown Pokie or whatever bending and breaking the mesh and getting its whole adult body out. The example in the thread is like a cat squeezing out of jail bars.

The guy in the post says they aren't stupid but he put a sling in a mesh covered viv and didnt anticipate it could bend a bit and get out. Lets take the OP's T, how is that going to get out through chewing.

Slings can escape from mesh that kind of a given, what about adults
The person who originally referred me to this post was saying that they could when they were big enough so I assumed adults could do this too. I have to be honest with you. I only have a juvie at this point and it's my only T. I didn't really mean to imply that everyone has to change out their mesh lids. It's obviously everyone's own choice. I just thought I would mention this as I didn't know it before and thought it might be interesting/helpful to others.

Last edited:

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
I hear you mate :D Anyways no worries thanks for the banter

For the people who cant be asked to build levels yes i'd say get rid of it.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I didn't know about tarantulas stucking on mesh lids.I will replace it with arcylic.Thanks for informing.

Tarantula is looking way smaller than she actually is on these photos because of the light/angle and her positioning.She is a bit bigger than my hand(not counting fingers.grown male hand)when she is standing in normal position.But i am not expert so let me know if you think it's bigger than is should be.
Yeah, you have waaay too much space for her to fall splat against the floor. I'd put her quick in a kk before that happens.