Never seen food waste?

vin24w

Arachnopeon
Hi so i own a mature male guatemalan red rump (brachypelma sabulosum) for about 3 weeks now, I have feed him about 10 crickets so far. However i actually have never seen a food waste like the cricket exoskeleton. I did find his poop once in awhile in the enclosure so im pretty sure he’s eating.

So I decided to feed him daily for the last 4 days and everytime i give one to him he immediately would bite( i assume this means hes eating) yet again i have yet seen a single waste. could he be burying them or something? Im not sure what to do since i dont want to let the enclosure get dirty and potentially invite some other insects like ants in. The substrate im using is mixture of cocopeat, dry moss and zeolite if that somehow helps explain the burying. thanks :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, a MM (therefore an adult) VS a cricket (I assume adult, or normal sized) so the prey remain would be very, very little. Check well, maybe near the water dish (a lot of T's loves to leave the remains near/nearby).

I tell you this... if you can, try to find someone for a breeding project. I know that maybe this can be difficult but I would give a try, that specie isn't the most 24/7 always available like other Brachypelma spp.

As a note, water dish, always full, because MM are great drinkers.

vin24w

Arachnopeon
Well, a MM (therefore an adult) VS a cricket (I assume adult, or normal sized) so the prey remain would be very, very little. Check well, maybe near the water dish (a lot of T's loves to leave the remains near/nearby).

I tell you this... if you can, try to find someone for a breeding project. I know that maybe this can be difficult but I would give a try, that specie isn't the most 24/7 always available like other Brachypelma spp.

As a note, water dish, always full, because MM are great drinkers.
Oh okay then thanks, i was worried for a bit.

and on the breeding topic, I have no idea that its a rare species. Its hard to find someone else with the same species around. the hobby is not relatively popular here in my country as well. will keep searching though. Might even get a female if available.

abd about water dish, I always keep them quite full and the humidity quite high in the substrate. Ive never seen him drink though, neither do I see significant decrease in water level. Could there be something wrong?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
and on the breeding topic, I have no idea that its a rare species. Its hard to find someone else with the same species around. the hobby is not relatively popular here in my country as well. will keep searching though. Might even get a female if available.
Yes, I imagine that wouldn't be easy to find a 'ready' 0.1 like that. I don't know if they are 'rare', but definitely not so common like other Brachypelma spp.

abd about water dish, I always keep them quite full and the humidity quite high in the substrate. Ive never seen him drink though, neither do I see significant decrease in water level. Could there be something wrong?
No, nothing.

cold blood

Staff member
A MM would need about 1 cricket every 2 weeks.

Are you sure its a MM? Ive never had a MM eat like that....and i currently have a MM sabolosum.

vin24w

Arachnopeon
A MM would need about 1 cricket every 2 weeks.

Are you sure its a MM? Ive never had a MM eat like that....and i currently have a MM sabolosum.
correct me if im wrong, MM means mature male right? well thats what the seller told me, mature male brachypelma sabulosum measuring 13cm was the description the seller used. he eats daily if i given him any, not more than one cricket a day though he refused if i give more than one a day.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
correct me if im wrong, MM means mature male right? well thats what the seller told me, mature male brachypelma sabulosum measuring 13cm was the description the seller used. he eats daily if i given him any, not more than one cricket a day though he refused if i give more than one a day.
Why you ordered directly a MM, if I can ask? I mean, only their lifespan is a straight 'road' that leads to a short-time living (despite the specie) specimen.

vin24w

Arachnopeon
Why you ordered directly a MM, if I can ask? I mean, only their lifespan is a straight 'road' that leads to a short-time living (despite the specie) specimen.
Im new to the hobby and well it was the only species my local seller is selling that is not sling size. and I was looking for a terrestrial species and the ones that doesnt grow too large so it was perfect choice in my opinion. I could have gotten other species but taking care of slings seems like a hard time for me. as for the lifespan being quite short for a MM, I might be going abroad in a year or so for my studies so either way I might end up selling him before then. Or if its possible to bring him along then that may be an option.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Im new to the hobby and well it was the only species my local seller is selling that is not sling size. and I was looking for a terrestrial species and the ones that doesnt grow too large so it was perfect choice in my opinion. I could have gotten other species but taking care of slings seems like a hard time for me. as for the lifespan being quite short for a MM, I might be going abroad in a year or so for my studies so either way I might end up selling him before then. Or if its possible to bring him along then that may be an option.
Well, fair enough, man. But why you didn't searched online, where the offer varies more? :)

vin24w

Arachnopeon
Well, fair enough, man. But why you didn't searched online, where the offer varies more? :)
Hmm could have done that but it was a spontaneous decision to get one, originally i was planning to get scorpions as I used to have them when i was younger, but then tarantula sounds more fun. so i guess it wasn’t well planned hahaha. :)

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Sometimes there's just not a lot left. When my boy eats his dubias he leaves nothing but a few pieces of exoskeleton that end up crumbling under the shear power of my tongs (really I just clamp down softly to pick it up and it breaks into little pieces).

cold blood

Staff member
@Toddydog why the dislike?

I might be going abroad in a year or so for my studies so either way I might end up selling him before then. Or if its possible to bring him along then that may be an option.
That's probably about as long as he will last. Also keep in mind that he will eventually stop eating for the most part, its actually incredible he's eating so much...In all my years I have never seen any MM eat that much or that often....so don't be surprised if he just stops eating one day. Also he will likely get very bald and begin to lose grip as he declines...also perfectly normal and not a concern, its just the natural ending of the life cycle.

Also taking him with abroad may not be an option, both because he may not be in the shape for it, and you may need expensive import permits depending where abroad is.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
@Toddydog why the dislike?

That's probably about as long as he will last. Also keep in mind that he will eventually stop eating for the most part, its actually incredible he's eating so much...In all my years I have never seen any MM eat that much or that often....so don't be surprised if he just stops eating one day. Also he will likely get very bald and begin to lose grip as he declines...also perfectly normal and not a concern, its just the natural ending of the life cycle.

Also taking him with abroad may not be an option, both because he may not be in the shape for it, and you may need expensive import permits depending where abroad is.
Why does this keep happening to me ahh. I swear I hit the agree this time. Sorry.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Food waste can be hard to see in substrate.
I use mealworms and never see any bolus, only when I used crickets did I ever see any.
Usually my Ts would pile them in a corner or throw remains into the water dish.