netr's images

awiec

Arachnoprince
You seem to have the more "blue" darlingi, I'm super jealous, of course I love my girl all the same but dang do I wish I had one with those colors.

netr

Arachnoknight
I wasn't aware of any colour differences in the species. By and large, I think the colour representation with the LED flash ring is quite good - more neutral than the relatively red lamp I was using before. But possibly leaning a bit towards the blue, so I dunno - the darlingi's colours may be exaggerated a bit. Either way, it's mainly the wonderful yellow setae that really excite me about these fellows, so yours is still a real beauty I'm sure.

Well, the setae, the horn, the enthusiasm for food and the thoroughly industrious webbing. They're so cool.

Last edited:

netr

Arachnoknight
It's a Euathlus party! Today I received a very exciting package in the post:

1.1.0 Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi (green) (juvenile)
0.1.0 Euathlus truculentus (juvenile, pushing subadult)
0.0.2 Euathlus sp. "Red" (little spiderlings)

Didn't bother photographing the reds yet, and the pulcherrimaklaasi were both too skittish for a quick shoot. This package was held up en route over a weekend, so had been in transit for an entire week. I don't want to get in their faces too much before they've had time to settle in. All the same, the truculentus was mildly cooperative. I couldn't resist a quick snap before letting her be. Such a beauty.

The previous week I received a small shipment mainly of slings:

0.0.2 Hapalopus sp. "Columbia" (large)
0.0.1 Chilobrachys guangxiensis
0.0.1 Chilobrachys sp. "Kaeng Krachan"

The haps have long been on my wishlist. I managed one photo before they both activated Subterranean Mode:

The guangxiensis made it immediately clear that it was having absolutely none of my camera whatsoever. As for the Kaeng Krachan...

"What, photos? Bright lights? Don't you dare!"

And some miscellaneous pics.

Psalmopoeus pulcher, increasingly adult-coloured spiderling/early juvenile. This is the second tarantula I ever got. It's been a pleasure raising it this far.

Here it was on 02 October, 2012, shortly after unboxing.

Avicularia sp. "Guyana Green". Ready to moult!

And its sibling. Not quite ready to moult!

They are both leaning on the size at which the colours begin reversing, so fingers crossed.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From the list of species, I'm kinda suspecting you got those from MS? :)

I'm looking forward to see that newer Chilobrachys spp. grow. They can get supposedly up to 6-7" - with that attitude - FUN! :D

netr

Arachnoknight
From the list of species, I'm kinda suspecting you got those from MS? :)
Actually, this time it was Stefan Kurtsiefer. Really nice and trustworthy guy. I have bought from MS before though; I met him at an expo in Denmark in 2012 to collect a big bunch of slings; my G. pulchripes, M. balfouri, GBB, B. emilia, B. smithi and P. muticus among others! So a lot of my collection came from him.

I'm looking forward to see that newer Chilobrachys spp. grow. They can get supposedly up to 6-7" - with that attitude - FUN! :D
Yeah... hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, this time it was Stefan Kurtsiefer. Really nice and trustworthy guy. I have bought from MS before though; I met him at an expo in Denmark in 2012 to collect a big bunch of slings; my G. pulchripes, M. balfouri, GBB, B. emilia, B. smithi and P. muticus among others! So a lot of my collection came from him.

Yeah... hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
Ah, alright. Don't know the guy, but I'll look him up next time I'm looking to buy some slings. Most of my collection is from H. Manstein anyways, but not sure if he sends europe-wide. Either way - nice haul, mate. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the Chilobrachys spp., you have enough experience and it's not your first OW :D Although I will admit that those Asian species certainly have an attitude problem and I need to rehouse my male C. fimbriatus soon. My female was a breeze, but the male is actually more defensive haha :D

netr

Arachnoknight
I don't think you'll have any trouble with the Chilobrachys spp., you have enough experience and it's not your first OW :D Although I will admit that those Asian species certainly have an attitude problem and I need to rehouse my male C. fimbriatus soon. My female was a breeze, but the male is actually more defensive haha :D
They certainly seem faster than the African species I'm keeping, and more skittish. Generally more pet holey too though, perhaps excluding P. muticus. I think they'll be fine. Best of luck with the rehouse!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They certainly seem faster than the African species I'm keeping, and more skittish. Generally more pet holey too though, perhaps excluding P. muticus. I think they'll be fine. Best of luck with the rehouse!
My fimbriatus devils started to get defensive around 2" - from that time on they rather stood their ground than run. But for the most part they'll run into their burrow if disturbed.

netr

Arachnoknight
Standing ground/displaying is probably easier to manage than bolting - especially from a photographing point of view. The number of times I've seen something in a perfect position, only to vanish down a hole when I try to lift the lid.

I think "fimbriatus devils" would be a great band name.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I wasn't aware of any colour differences in the species. By and large, I think the colour representation with the LED flash ring is quite good - more neutral than the relatively red lamp I was using before. But possibly leaning a bit towards the blue, so I dunno - the darlingi's colours may be exaggerated a bit. Either way, it's mainly the wonderful yellow setae that really excite me about these fellows, so yours is still a real beauty I'm sure.

Well, the setae, the horn, the enthusiasm for food and the thoroughly industrious webbing. They're so cool.
I've noted that mine has more red-cinnamon colored setae on the underside of her legs, could just be how the sunlight strikes them.

netr

Arachnoknight
A successful moult from Velvet, the resident G. pulchra. The first since she's been in my care. She's looking superb, compared with previously.

Also did a quick fang study on the moult, as they (the left in particular) were wonderfully marked.

Left, with the end visibly chipped off. I'm not sure when that happened.

Right.

Last edited:

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that pulchra...and mine is still so tiny and brown..

*is silently jealous*

netr

Arachnoknight
I cheated with mine and bought her already as a subadult! I know precisely how you feel with most of the rest of my collection, though.

netr

Arachnoknight
Time for an update. I've been mucking about with a cheap Yongnuo mounted flash, rather than the LED flash ring. While the light seems to be warmer, it makes hand-held macro shooting a lot easier.

Euathlus truculentus posterior, with nice setae patterns.

Male Grammostola rosea (NCF)

Nhandu coloratovillosus

Lately-acquired Grammostola grossa spiderling with fuzzy legs. Can't wait to see what it grows into.

Lasiodora parahybana, keeping a low profile.

Until dinner comes along, at least.

Newly-moulted B. vagans.

Brachypelma albiceps

Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi green form, with the green femurs just about visible. Male.

Female of same species, one moult behind.

EDIT - decided to add a bunch more. Had some good cooperation this evening!

Damon diadema. Not a tarantula of course, but pretty neat.

Minuscule Euathlus sp. 'red'.

P. formosa. Best I could do - she doesn't exactly stroll up to the camera. I never noticed the red hairs until tonight.

Juvenile Avicularia sp. 'purple'.

Ceratogyrus darlingi

Avicularia versicolor

Cyriocosmus ritae. Got to love this genus!

Last edited:

netr

Arachnoknight
Less-than-delighted Euathlus truculentus. I was trying to feed her dubia, which all burrowed away before she could grab them. The more I rummaged for them, the angrier she became.

Hungry Cyclosternum fasciatum - I fed it afterwards.

P. irminia

P. pulcher

Euathlus sp. 'green' (pulcherrimaklaasi)

My other sp. 'green' giving me a wave

Teeny Avicularia sp. 'purple'

Newly-moulted G. rosea / porteri

netr

Arachnoknight
Thanks Jan! I've been away from the forums for a while, so I'll have to get up to speed with your thread as well. :alien:

netr

Arachnoknight
So I've taken the plunge into communal keeping. It's totally new to me and already a load of fun.

Specifically, 12 x Heterothele villosella spiderlings, six of which just about visible here:

It's satisfying keeping multiple specimens together for once and watching them coexist happily (so far, at least). Looking forward to seeing how they get on together.

And some more regular shots to boost the post a bit:

Chilobrachys sp. 'Kaeng Krachan'

Grammostola pulchra

Furry pulchra booty.

Seldom-seen Pelinobius muticus sling. Thought I'd attempt a stereogram image so that it can be seen in 3D. It works if you do it, but not particularly well.

I also got my first scorpion, Euscorpius tergestinus. Such a sweet little chap!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck with the communal! I like the Heterothele genus. Might have to get some of the more blueish ones, gabonensis after my female died at some point. Also assuming that my C. fimbriatus male, Ares, had his maturing molt. Sadly, I haven't seen him out so far hence can't tell for sure. Then again, I'm not entirely sure if I want to subject him to the female :D - I gave her an adult locust today and man: She was just a blur and vicios like crazy! Ripped the damn thing right off the lid of the KK, thus ripped one of his jumping legs off and tried to drag it down into her burrow. RIght now she's still sitting at the entrace eating. I'd hate to get tagged from her, she's a good 5"+ from what I've seen after that last molt couple months ago :eek:

netr

Arachnoknight
Hi. To all intents and purposes, I've been 'out of' the hobby, although I've maintained my collection. My enthusiasm for projects of just about any kind tends to come in slow waves. So it's been a long time since I gave my tarantulas any special attention, but I'm now back in the phase of being really into the hobby. Planning new acquisitions, breeding attempts, DIY display container designs, etc. And having lurked for a couple of days on the forum once again, it seemed like it'd be nice to point the camera at some of the beasts too.

P. formosa juv, female. As close as I dare get!

Pamphobeteus sp. "Machala" juv, suspected male

Euscorpius tergestinus, unsexed adult. Tiny and always angry when I lift the lid.

Good luck with the communal! I like the Heterothele genus.
Yeah, about that communal... let's just say I now have one very fat Heterothele villosella. :dead:

I thought I'd been feeding them pretty well, but it looks like you really need to pile it on in a communal. Sorry I never replied to your last message by the way, Stormy. That C. fimbriatus female sounds like a good laugh!