Net casting spider?

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys

I would be intrested in keeping this species but would like to know if u guys have ever heard of this spider or seen any for sale? thanks.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you refering to the family Dinopidae, sometimes known as the Ogre-faced spiders? They build a little square web that they hold with the first four legs and snag insects off the ground.

Not sure if anyone sells them, though.

Wade

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Yes Wade thats the species i'm intrested in but i've just found out it's not a common spider in south africa so would that mean there would be restrictions on it's sale? thanks.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, they're actually what we'd call "cosmotropical" in distribution, meaning that they live all around the world where it's warm enough. They're here in the US, but I've never seen them myself.

I don't think there would be any restrictions on importing or exporting them, I'm betting there just isn't much hobbysist demand. They're not especially big or colorful, so the collectors and dealers ignore them, despite their facinating lifestyle.

Wade

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had reports of people as far as Virginia finding these guys right off their porchs and more reports within the gulf coast. Hope that helps, perhaps someone has seen them recently?

Joel:confused: