1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about winter temps for my pinktoe

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Targaryen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Yes, the thermometer is digital. My plan is to direct the heat from a safe/comfortable distance, rather than aiming it straight at the enclosure from close range. Do you think it would be wise to add some damp peat moss to her habitat in order to avoid dropping the humidity?

2. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Assuming you are referring to an Avicularia spp. or related species, you should be keeping it on the dry side with a full water dish. A moist stuffy cage will deteriorate its health. @viper69 and @cold blood have written some detailed posts about Avic care if you search them up. They're great resources to get you on the right path.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

If you need a digital thermometer, us reptile people love the Acurite models off of Amazon

• Like Like x 2
  4. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

my spider is an a. avicularia, for clarification.

turns out i've read @viper69 's care post already - was super helpful (and probably lifesaving) when i first took the t home from petco in a critter keeper full of peat moss, moldy grapevine, and about 2cm of water.

as it's already on the way (and i've got the room warmed up to safe for tarantula temps as is) I'm going to cautiously proceed with the heater i bought yesterday. i'll let everyone know if it works.

thank you all very much for the help and information! this site has been the only source available for information on how to care for tarantulas, and has really carried me through

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Anytime you have a question, just ask us.

• Like Like x 3
  6. StampFan

StampFan Arachnopeon Active Member

Calgary
    I have that exact same model beside my t's. When its on they all line up on that side of the cage enjoying the Oil filled heater warmth....I'm not sure if the "eco mode" is actually saving money, but it dims the display....

7. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

I am also skeptical of the eco mode...I just keep it maxed out...82 degrees full power.

I have an old model, with the old one its very different. That thing gets hot enough to burn you (but the carpet still stays pretty cool)...I keep that one on the minimum wattage setting and on 7...it keeps the room 80 even on the coldest winter nights...but it draws a ton more power, the cords are always warm and I can tell it pulls much more power. used to only use this for years, now only use it during the coldest times of the winter.

The new one maxed out only keeps the room 75-80.....which is just fine and dandy. I imagine when its below zero out it will struggle to keep the room above 70. I will find out soon enough...that crap weather isn't too far away now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

50 degrees in your house? Brrrr! :cyclops:
    I love having Ts and one reason is because it is a delightful excuse to be so warm and toasty. Your avic will be much happier and you will likely feel warmer too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  9. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    This is what I use in the pet room. No chance of fire and they are very energy efficient. Let me keep the pet room temps independently of the rest of my house which I usually like much cooler. Set the temp and forget it.

Earlier this week I forgot I had plugged it in and it was on. I sat a plastic enclosure lid on it and 10 mins later the lid was just warm. No melting etc.

I run mine on 3 of 5 due to the pet room being full sun facing for most of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Resolution: unpacked the heater yesterday and set up this morning. Have been monitoring temp all day, and it works! my house is currently 65 degrees, and the warmer side of the enclosure is consistently 71.4.

Heater is on the "low" setting, 10" away and facing the enclosure. It's an incredibly weak "space" heater, but seems to be perfect for what I need. The heat that blows out diffuses about 6" away. Tipover switch works perfectly, and the heater itself isn't even warm to the touch.

Spider is snuggled up in the warmest corner of her enclosure, and I'm feeling way better. ...now let's see how long it lasts for $17.

• Like Like x 2