1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about winter temps for my pinktoe

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Targaryen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi all, been lurking on the forums since impulsively taking home a free pinktoe from the pet store around two months ago. Everything's been going great, but as temperatures are dropping, I'm beginning to wonder if my T is warm enough.

My apartment stays in the low 60s in the fall and winter, but sometimes drops to the 50s. Since it's gotten colder, she's been very sluggish and lost her appetite. I know that this is likely a result of the temperature, and am inclined to get some sort of heat source for her. Is this necessary? and if so, what do you recommend? I'm leaning toward a heat lamp, but would love input.

2. Nightshady

Nightshady Arachnopeon Active Member

Most people will say to keep temps 70+. I would recommend a space heater for the room the Tarantula is in. Temps of 50-60's seem dangerously low to me, but I am rather new to this, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Thanks for the response - that's what my gut is telling me. My girlfriend has an irrational fear of space heaters (but not spiders!), so we might have to work on that as a couple :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nightshady

I'm surprised someone else hasn't chimed in yet. Basically, my understanding is that dips to high 60's at night is not detrimental, but anything lower than that is potentially harmful, so yeah definitely 50's is bad and even low to mid 60's is not ideal. I personally use a space heater. My T room has hardwood floors, so I don't worry about leaving it on 24/7 (although to keep the room 70-75 it's only on for short periods) as much as if it were on carpet. From all I've read, space heaters are the best method outside of using your central heat/air. I'm sure you could set up a system that would be safe (like a non-fabric area for the heater to sit on with a smoke detector). Good luck.

5. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnoangel Active Member

One of the newer Oil filled/sealed radiator type space heaters is very safe and energy efficient.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  6. Svetlana14

Svetlana14 Arachnopeon

Definitely get a space heater. Just something small in the area of the room that you have your T would be fine. Do not use a heat lamp, it will dry out your T. If you can't get a space heater, then get a heat mat. Place the enclosure inside a larger one and put the heat mat inside the wall of the larger one. A space heater would be ideal however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

thanks for the advice - I'm looking at some small "personal" space heaters right now online. looks like my girl's going to be much more comfortable very soon! will update on how well the heater works once it's arrived. I'm hoping it'll be a great solution for keeping just one or two spiders in a space not fully devoted to animal husbandry (...yet).

8. Nightshady

Haha, good luck. I'm just a little bit behind you of when I got my first T and I'm about to get my second, and I may end up with a third as a rescue. I'm seriously stopping at three though. NO EXCEPTIONS. probably...

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire Active Member

Montreal
    Not to sound judgy, but how can you tolerate such cold ambient temperatures yourselves?? Lol. I'm a hot blooded Canadian and even I get uncomfortable in room temps below 67 for extended periods (except at night while sleeping)

Anyhoo, more power to you! Lower heating bills :) that said, I second the space heater.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Space heater. Never a heat lamp for Ts.

11. TheRedKnee

TheRedKnee Arachnopeon

UK
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the ABSOLUTE lowest you can go is 65 at night. Try and keep the temp up to 70+ in the day though. Invest in a space heater and just give it a blast in your T's room when it starts to get too cold. Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

The old Milkhouse heaters were the unsafe fire starting space heaters. Todays heaters have a lot of safety measure installed. They shut off if they get tipped. One measure that's on you is plug it straight into the wall and not to use an extension cord unless it's rated for the wattage being used.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. nburgmei

nburgmei Arachnopeon

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

With the temps you reported, yes it's necessary.

@cold blood is a master at keeping his Ts warm.

15. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

20171113_230812.jpg
    yeah, i agree. Not too hot to touch, the carpet below doesnt even get warm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Ordered this small heater last night: http://bit.ly/2AEt6M2

My hope is that I can direct it toward the enclosure from a reasonable distance to up the ambient temp of that corner of the room. It arrives by Friday, and in the meantime the whole house is being kept warmer. (Yes, my house is chilly but welcome to New England, I guess.)

Thank you all for the help, it's greatly appreciated. If the heater doesn't work I'll go for a larger one that'll heat the whole room.

17. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

$17.00? Not to negative Nancy but are you sure that one is a good one? I can't run one where I currently live but I would prefer the ones that are $60.00+ that have things like auto temp control and safety shut off if it gets knocked over.

@Targaryen get a (good quality) thermometer so you can monitor the Temperature in the room/area the Spider is in to make sure it is actually working and not just blowing out useless hot air (no pun intended).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Targaryen

Targaryen Arachnopeon

Negative Nancys are always welcome when they come with constructive criticism! This model does at least have a tip over switch, and I have a thermometer in the enclosure. I'll be monitoring obsessively on my day off when the heater arrives. $17 definitely sounds like it could be too good to be true, but sometimes it's best not to look a gift horse in the mouth, right? I don't need to raise the ambient temp all that dramatically, so I'm thinking (hoping?) that hot air will be all we need. In the meantime, I've got my thermostat up for her comfort. If the personal heater works, great! If not, I have a 90 day return policy on my side, and will gladly shell out for a more reliable solution.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

definitely do NOT point such a heater toward your t....you will kill it. Point it away from the t...your goal is to heat the room, not directly heat the enclosure...direct heat is bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

The thermometer is a good one as well? Preferably digital? Those cheap plastic ones from Petco are better suited to being paperweights.

@cold blood also brings up a valid point. You don't want the hot air blowing directly on the Enclosure, but rather warming up the ambient temperature around it.

• Like Like x 1