Neoholothele incei enclosure advice.

maxsmum

Arachnopeon
Hi, I was hoping for some advice for a permanent adult enclosure for my Neoholothele incei. I would like to move her now as I was waiting for her to moult and she did a week ago, She has her entire enclosure webbed and she had made multipe opening for her burrows but since moulting she has webbed over all the entrances and she just sits on top of the web, I am not complaining as she is beautiful and I like seeing her but I want to make sure she is content. I was thinking of using a 9L really useful box as I wanted her to have more width to walk around and feel comfortable, but then I was worried that she would need more height filled with substrate so she could burrow. Sorry for the long mesaage but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, I cant seem to find anywhere to say 100% that they are burrowers or do they just prefer to have a hide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I will attach the pictures of the enclosure I would like to use plus some pictures of her freshly moulted.

Sorry forgot to add her pictures.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Mine isn't in its 'adult enclosure' just yet because I think it has another molt or two before it is fully grown, but currently it's in the 4x4x4 AMAC cube. I had the same questions as you so I gave it enough substrate to burrow if it wanted to, while leaving enough room to put plenty of anchor points above the dirt.

From what I can tell it really hasn't burrowed at all, and it didn't "use" the cork piece as a hide if that makes sense -- it just used everything in there as an anchor point to web over the entire enclosure. There is at least 1 large web tunnel that has two openings on one side, and one opening on another... at one point it webbed over some of the openings and built additional tunnels up on top, though the 'main' tunnel seems to have remained the same for the most part.

So I would encourage providing plenty of height (not too much, of course, it needs to be safe!) but I really like giving them plenty of space to build out their web tunnels on top of a decent amount of substrate.

I only have a few months of experience with this species but so far what I've seen from mine is that it won't utilize hides or anything like that, instead it will build its own hideouts and tunnels through webbing on top of everything including the sub. I have read that they appreciate some moisture though... so, even if not for burrowing, I will probably always provide ample substrate for this species so they have something that holds some moisture for them.

Interesting that yours is always up on top of the webbing. Mine is constantly hidden -- all I see are the tips of its toes as it waits around for food. :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve seen pictures of them in the wild. They lived in “burrows” that were in between smal rocks and soil.

An adult would be fine in a ExoTerra breeder box small, or something of similar area and more depth if you wanted.

I’ve raised 5 to adulthood- most underrated species.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine is currently housed in a 4.5L Hobby Life container (equivalent to a small faunarium) from theplasticboxshop, I might move her up to a 7L (equivalent to a medium faunarium) at some point but I'm not in any rush to do it.

DSC_0001.jpg

Here's the girl herself

View media item 59116
I only have a few months of experience with this species but so far what I've seen from mine is that it won't utilize hides or anything like that
Yeah, they won't use typical hides, mine refuses to burrow as well, I just lean a flat piece of bark against one of the sides, seems to work for her as that's where she started her web maze from.

maxsmum

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much everyone for replying. I have rehoused her in the 9L RUB, I filled it with substrate so she can burrow if she wants plus she has space to roam and web. She has never used her hide she just made a burrow out of web and substrate. I would see her toes poking out when she wanted food (which was always lol),She would then proceed to dunk her food in her water bowl until she was finished eating. Since moulting last week she closed off all her burrow entrances and stayed on top so I knew it was time to rehouse lol. Thanks again everyone.