1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Neo" in the genus name

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by DanBsTs, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DanBsTs

DanBsTs The Happy Tarantula Keeper (watch my videos) Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    Advertisement
    I'll just cut to the chase. I'm not well versed (or versed at all) about why scientist name spiders the way they do. I do however have a passion for learning.I have noticed some genera with "Neo" in the name. One question for now.

1. What difference is there between,say, a Chilobrachys and a Neochilobrachys. Or Holothele and Neoholothele.

I realize "Neo" means "new" and such. Any insight would be appreciated. I've had this question for some time and after exhausting searches on AB and trying to navigate the World Spider Catalog without answers I'm really at a loss.

Thanks,
    Dan

• Like Like x 2
  2. edesign

edesign Stacks o' spiders Old Timer

You've pretty much guessed it. New genus split from an existing if I'm not mistaken. Log in to the WSC site, go to the Neoholothele incei page, click the link next to the latest taxonomic reference (dated 2015), and download the paper by Guadanucci (abstract linked below). It explains why Neoholothele was created from Holothele in detail. The tl;dr explanation is in the abstract.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01650521.2015.1110309?journalCode=nnfe20

Btw...Neochilobrachys is now Phlogiellus. Or, rather, Phlogiellus is a senior synonym of Neochilobrachys.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DanBsTs

NH,USA
    Thank you very much! It was a little confusing going through the WSC on my phone and I didn't really know what I was looking for to boot. I'll take a look at that paper. :bookworm:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. edesign

Happy to help, you're welcome! Maybe someone else can answer it with a bit more detail.

5. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Was your question why it was called 'Neo'-holothele instead of just giving it a completely different name once they figured out it was a different genus? Well, there's no answer to that. I guess the scientist in question just was not feeling very creative at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

It's like the dinosaur genera Saurolophus and Parasaurolophus. Parasaurolophus means "near Saurolophus" just as Neoholothele means "new Holothele". The scientist who discovered and named it just didn't make an entirely new name, but realised that the two genera are very similar so why not just add something like neo or para or macro, etc, etc

• Like Like x 2
  7. DanBsTs

NH,USA
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks to everyone for responding. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. edesign

Nice way to put it Dennis, thank you. Pretty much what the incei paper says but it does so using many, many more words lol

• Like Like x 1