Nematode+Bacterial infection

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
So my X. immanis appears to have...a wet carapace and moldy eyes, there also seems to be movement between the fangs.
I'm guessing nematodes, but I like to hear others opinion about it before I take action ( I always second guess myself)

There's a bit of a hurry though, as it seems in a rather bad shape.

Pictures:

---------- Post added 09-30-2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

I have moved it to an ICU while I wait for replies.

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Nematodes usually cause a sort of weird paralysis of the first pair of legs and the pedipalps, if I'm not mistaken. The wet look makes me lean more toward a possible bacterial infection, though I'm far from an expert. I think the TKG had some suggestions about how to treat it, but I loaned my copy to a friend so I can't look it up for you. Fortunately I've never had this issue.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Bacterial infections don't move as far as I know.

It could be both though, I will be getting medicine for minor cuts and apply it with a cotton ball tomorrow, I've used my own treatment for the nematodes and it seems to work as the movement has stopped.

The spider will remain in the ICU.

Last edited:

Antivenom

Arachnopeon
Like Thistles said, the wet look usually means a bacterial infection. Not sure about the movement though. Here is the section of The Tarantula Keepers Guide that talks about it.

"Bacterial infections are almost always moist and may be recognized as an oily or mucilaginous slime on the tarantula's surface or by the loss of bristles with a decidedly moist appearance to the underlying exoskeleton. Wetness signals a bacterial infection. Gentian violet may work on these as well, but other medications are available over the counter that work much better. In a local pharmacy, look for topical salves that are intended for treating minor cuts and scrapes on humans. These should contain one or more of the antibiotics Neomycin, Bacitracin, and Polymoxin B, and others. Preparations containing more than one antibiotic may be preferable because they are effective against a broader spectrum of sensitive organisms. If any preparation also contains Nystatin, so much the better in case a fungal component is present to the infection."

Looks like you are on the right track with the cotton ball and medicine. Good luck.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Do you have a closer picture? And you could put her in a cricket tub and look underneath at her mouth for white residue, suggesting nematodes, I thought my Avic had them the other day, she had just been eating web.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
My camera won't allow me to take closer pictures than that.
It isn't needed though, I've treated the spider and there were indeed nematodes present (I've seen them drop off) and it had this typical moving blob on it's mouth.

So not only did it have a bacterial infection, it was combined with nematodes.
Well, that sucks.

The spider isn't doing too well at the moment, the nematodes are gone for now though.

Last edited:

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
My camera won't allow me to take closer pictures than that.
It isn't needed though, I've treated the spider and there were indeed nematodes present (I've seen them drop off) and it had this typical moving blob on it's mouth.

So not only did it have a bacterial infection, it was combined with nematodes.
Well, that sucks.

The spider isn't doing too well at the moment, the nematodes are gone for now though.
Sorry to hear that, apparently the nematodes and infection come hand in hand, what I read was keep it in a DRY ICU and keep washing its mouth parts out with salt water

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
The method that I use is similar to that, but a bit more extreme.

Works like a charm though.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey man sorry to hear about your spider, but glad to hear your treatment has been successful so far. Fingers crossed that you can get him fixed up!

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jeez. That's never fun. How long have you had it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Jeez. That's never fun. How long have you had it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
About a month, it has never eaten in my care so I'm guessing the parasites were already there when I bought it, I didn't see them though.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 11:14 AM ----------

Can you elaborate on what it is you do?
I submerge the tarantula completely in salt water, the nematodes start dropping off fairly quickly after that.

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
About a month, it has never eaten in my care so I'm guessing the parasites were already there when I bought it, I didn't see them though.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 11:14 AM ----------

I submerge the tarantula completely in salt water, the nematodes start dropping off fairly quickly after that.

Sooo,Essentially you waterboard the tarantula.Glad that works out for you...

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
Man, that really sucks :( I hope it pulls through for you. It's a really beautiful T...

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Submerge the WHOLE thing in water? But any ways hope it pulls through kazaam. GOODLUCK!

Antivenom

Arachnopeon
Submerge the WHOLE thing in water? But any ways hope it pulls through kazaam. GOODLUCK!
I was curious about that too. Seems like it'd be really stressful for the T, not to mention the chance of it drowning. Unless he means just the whole prosoma, not the abdomen?