Need some help with H. arizonensis enclosure

Richie C

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I just made my first purchase of an arachnid, a Giant Hairy Desert Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). He should arrive sometime tomorrow and I was wondering if my enclosure is good enough. I have a low-watt heating pad under the tank on one side and i'm not sure if it is safe to use. Also, I have some live plants as well ( a cacti which is not sharp at all and a succulent) and was wondering if anything needs to be done to make them scorpion-friendly.

Thanks! Scorp cage 1.jpg Scorp Cage 3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
What type of substrate is that? A sand and clay mix about 6 inches deep is what I recommend.

Richie C

Arachnopeon
What type of substrate is that? A sand and clay mix about 6 inches deep is what I recommend.
This is Zoo Med's Clay Burrowing Substrate. It looks dark because it is still a little wet.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Oh ok. I would have it dry out thoroughly before adding the scorpion.

Richie C

Arachnopeon
Ok I ordered some repti sand, It wont be here for a couple days after the scorpion arrives, Will it be okay to keep it in the current setup temporarily until the sand comes ?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Yes it will be fine. If it's a sunny day you could let it dry outside before the scorpion arrives. I've used a hairdryer before when I've mixed it too wet and grew impatient for it to dry out naturally. Just keep direct heat away from your plants if you use this method.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I would remove the under tank heat matt.. your desert hairy will burrow to escape heat and regulate body temp to cool down for the most part...

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
And btw don't put your Hadrurus in until you have your enclosure complete. If it burrows getting it out will be a pain.From experience. x)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Zoo Med.jpg
This mixed 60/40 ratio sand/clay works well. Let it dry thoroughly, took mine 3 days with a fan blowing on it, prior to adding the scorpion. These are awesome excavators and the deeper the sub the better. They will dig to the bottom and make amazing tunnels throughout the sub. In the event of a collapse, don't panic, they dig themselves out post haste. Do provide a water dish, some keepers don't, I've seen mine drinking on several occasions. Better to be safe, than sorry!

Richie C

Arachnopeon
View attachment 254454
This mixed 60/40 ratio sand/clay works well. Let it dry thoroughly, took mine 3 days with a fan blowing on it, prior to adding the scorpion. These are awesome excavators and the deeper the sub the better. They will dig to the bottom and make amazing tunnels throughout the sub. In the event of a collapse, don't panic, they dig themselves out post haste. Do provide a water dish, some keepers don't, I've seen mine drinking on several occasions. Better to be safe, than sorry!
Yes that is the kit I used currently. I just ordered a 10 lb bag of repti-sand last night. As far as heating goes should I use a lamp instead? If so, what bulb would be good?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Yes that is the kit I used currently. I just ordered a 10 lb bag of repti-sand last night. As far as heating goes should I use a lamp instead? If so, what bulb would be good?
I don't have/use any heat lamps. I built a room in the basement with its own heat source, oil-filled heater, stays in upper 70's low 80's.
@gromgrom ,@Scorpionluva can give info on heat lamps and different types thereof.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I use infrared bulbs to heat my specimens and a small space heater to keep my scorp room at a constant 75 °
Nice Setup you got there. Hadrurus are an awesome specie to keep :)

Richie C

Arachnopeon
I use infrared bulbs to heat my specimens and a small space heater to keep my scorp room at a constant 75 °
Nice Setup you got there. Hadrurus are an awesome specie to keep :)
Thanks! Should be arriving some time today. I put an IR bulb on one side and its keeping it around 85 and the cool side around 78. Sand should be arriving Monday (10/16) so i'll be keeping him in a temp. cage for the next few days.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! Should be arriving some time today. I put an IR bulb on one side and its keeping it around 85 and the cool side around 78. Sand should be arriving Monday (10/16) so i'll be keeping him in a temp. cage for the next few days.
That Temperature range is fine.
The more Substrate the better as they are Obligate burrowers.
Good feeding response - feed roaches, crickets, the usual staple feeders.
Mine enter diapause from early November - late March where they hibernate and I don't see them. Yours may not do this if it is always around 80 in there but mine experience the temperature fluctuations with the room (dips into the 60s) so that could be what triggers it. Nevertheless, don't be concerned if it is alive but remains buried for a few months at a time.
Give it a water dish. This seems to be an eternal debate, but I have seen all of mine drink from a dish so it does not hurt to provide one, especially given the size of your Enclosure I do not foresee any "it's too humid" issues.
Did you purchase an Adult? Be aware that younger specimens have a bad habit of not molting well in captivity.
Are you sure those cacti are not too sharp? Our definition of "sharp" could be different. Certain sands are not sharp to us but are hurtful to invertebrates that get the grains between their joints and exoskeleton plates.
Enjoy your Scorpion.

Richie C

Arachnopeon
That Temperature range is fine.
The more Substrate the better as they are Obligate burrowers.
Good feeding response - feed roaches, crickets, the usual staple feeders.
Mine enter diapause from early November - late March where they hibernate and I don't see them. Yours may not do this if it is always around 80 in there but mine experience the temperature fluctuations with the room (dips into the 60s) so that could be what triggers it. Nevertheless, don't be concerned if it is alive but remains buried for a few months at a time.
Give it a water dish. This seems to be an eternal debate, but I have seen all of mine drink from a dish so it does not hurt to provide one, especially given the size of your Enclosure I do not foresee any "it's too humid" issues.
Did you purchase an Adult? Be aware that younger specimens have a bad habit of not molting well in captivity.
Are you sure those cacti are not too sharp? Our definition of "sharp" could be different. Certain sands are not sharp to us but are hurtful to invertebrates that get the grains between their joints and exoskeleton plates.
Enjoy your Scorpion.
Yes I like your idea with a water-bottle cap. I will also be keeping a few blue death feigning beetles and i'm pretty sure they require a water dish. The cactus doesn't have any sharpness at all,its just a fine hair that goes around it. And the site I ordered from says 3 inches head to tail so i'm not sure if that is considered adult stage yet.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
the site I ordered from says 3 inches head to tail so i'm not sure if that is considered adult stage yet.
Not likely, but possible. Their adult size tends to be more around 5" usually. Lots of sites boast that they can be 6" or more but that is not typical, if it happens at all.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
if the blue death feigning beetles are in also, make sure you provide some fruits and veggies too, i never seen mine drink out of water dishes and they can't rely just on protein.