Need some help on this one!

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
My local pet shop had this listed as a B. Hamorii....... but I have never seen a blonde/chocolate brown Hamorii, also displayed threat posture a minute or so after this picture was taken, which is almost unseen in Hamoriis. All input is appreciated!

Attachments

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
Looks like B. Hamorii to me, colors look faded but not sure if its from the pictures, just maybe stressed and living in poor conditions, seems to have flicked alot of hairs.
So that picture is very close to exact coloring, I was told it kept this color right after its molt earlier in the year. So maybe the pet shop stressed the orange and black right out of it haha

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe its a Nhandu species?

Looking at it more, its not a B. Hamorii, they have black around where the fangs are. Im pretty sure its Nhandu coloratovillosus.

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
Its rather odd, looks to be bleached out, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
I did have someone in my other thread say N. coloratovillosus, which is quite intriguing given the threat posture. But now you can see why I'm intrigued.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I did have someone in my other thread say N. coloratovillosus, which is quite intriguing given the threat posture. But now you can see why I'm intrigued.
Yeah the chelicerae on hamorii is black, on the N. Coloratovillosus is not.

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
I'm actually more inclined to save her (hopefully lol) now, I have too many brachys already.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This is an obvious N. coloratovillosus. It's up to you whether you wanna save it or not.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas in pet stores are usually not set up correctly and probably are harrassed all day... Why is defensiveness surprising?

If you purchase it, that is called... purchasing it. You aren't "saving" it.

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
How much are they asking?
200 bucks! It's about 5 inches. Manager is now informed, will contact me with price drop.

Tarantulas in pet stores are usually not set up correctly and probably are harrassed all day... Why is defensiveness surprising?

If you purchase it, that is called... purchasing it. You aren't "saving" it.
It was surprising, because as I stated earlier, I have many species of Brachypelma, all coming from pet shops, have never displayed threat posture. Looks like my surprise was warranted...... since it wasn't a Brachy after all. Also, I'll ensure to be grammatically accurate next time and use the word purchase....

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm actually more inclined to save her (hopefully lol) now, I have too many brachys already.
The only problem when someone thinks they're "saving" an animal from a pet shop is that it will be replaced with another animal and kept in exactly the same conditions.

Also $200 is 1 almighty rip off. They go for about £30-£40 here in the UK.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It was surprising, because as I stated earlier, I have many species of Brachypelma, all coming from pet shops, have never displayed threat posture. Looks like my surprise was warranted...... since it wasn't a Brachy after all. Also, I'll ensure to be grammatically accurate next time and use the word purchase....
It's not so much the grammar that was wrong. It was the 'saving' implied that was/is wrong. You can't save a spider from a petshop because as soon as that spider is sold, there's another coming on that is going to be kept like crap to replace it. Which is why @Teal objected to your choice of words.

You're better off buying from trusted breeders on here. ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also, I'll ensure to be grammatically accurate next time and use the word purchase....
Good idea. Wouldn't want anyone misunderstanding you and thinking you are one of those, "I have to save the poor thing from the horrible conditions at the pet store!" types.

It was surprising, because as I stated earlier, I have many species of Brachypelma, all coming from pet shops, have never displayed threat posture. Looks like my surprise was warranted...... since it wasn't a Brachy after all.
Oh, well, not a misunderstanding at all then...

I'd be curious to see what all your pet store Brachys actually are :rofl:

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
The only problem when someone thinks they're "saving" an animal from a pet shop is that it will be replaced with another animal and kept in exactly the same conditions.

Also $200 is 1 almighty rip off. They go for about £30-£40 here in the UK.
Good idea. Wouldn't want anyone misunderstanding you and thinking you are one of those, "I have to save the poor thing from the horrible conditions at the pet store!" types.

Lol It's all good..... fortunately all of the t's I've actually purchased from them are as described and not ridiculously overinflated price wise

cold blood

Staff member
Its over priced. But for pet store prices, about what I would expect. Pet stores pretty much always sell at inflated prices. I would expect to pay $125-150 for a N. coloratovillsus, but only if its a confirmed female...another thing pet stores are notoriously bad at.

This species can be flicky and defensive, but not overly difficult to deal with. Its also one of the smaller, or less big, members of the genus, topping at the 6" range.

Funny that the store is supposedly knowledgeable....yet called this a hamorri...they two aren't even close...its an impossible mix up for anyone with even a little knowledge.

Also be aware, if its male, it will likely be penultimate.

Last edited:

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
Its over priced. But for pet store prices, about what I would expect. Pet stores pretty much always sell at inflated prices. I would expect to pay $125-150 for a N. coloratovillsus, but only if its a confirmed female...another thing pet stores are notoriously bad at.

This species can be flicky and defensive, but not overly difficult to deal with. Its also one of the smaller, or less big, members of the genus, topping at the 6" range.

Funny that the store is supposedly knowledgeable....yet called this a hamorri...they two aren't even close...its an impossible mix up for anyone with even a little knowledge.

Also be aware, if its male, it will likely be penultimate.
I think this thread has talked me into not returning lol breeders from here on out!