Need some breeding advice, please.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So yesterday I recieved a MM A hentzi from LeilaNami. I put him in a tank next to my female. Last night, I noticed that she looked interested in him, was climbing on the side of her tank to get to him. so I tried introducing them today. I put him in the opposite corner of her tank from her hide, and he slowly made his way over, while she peeked out of her hide a bit. When he finally got up the courage to get close enough to her, she went after him. He was quick enough to get away, and is now safe in his own tank again, but climbing around like he wants to get back to her... Here's a pic I took shortly before she went psycho:

I plan on waiting a few days, feeding her some more, and trying again. I really don't want him getting munched, though... Should I try shark-caging, to see if they show more interest in each other? I'm a bit paranoid, as this is my first breeding attempt. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do you mean she went after him? Im currently breeding G. roseas and I know there different but the paring can sometimes look violent at first.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe she just doesn't like bald guys. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know you said you had been feeding her but she might have still been hungry. Maybe you mistook hunger for love interest or, like Atreyuhero4 said they might have been ready to mate but you misinterpreted it.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He dashed off when she made her move (whatever it was), so its not like I swooped in and broke them apart or anything...
I fed her today, so I'll try again this weekend. I'm going to watch some videos and see what things are supposed to look like, so I won't freak out if things are going as they should.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It actually sounds like the mm was scared off. That typically is my biggest problem when I mate Ts. I have had many wimpy males that always ran from the females.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would shark cage him to let him get used to her being near and she him. At least a day and feed her as much as she will eat. Then keep trying until they mate or he's dead. He'll die if you don't mate him anyway.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If he continues this behavior just shut him up with her. I have done this with Pamphobeteus so "nigricolor" and it worked. He doesnt have much longer to live anyway.
If they mate you will need to drop the temps on the female for about 3 months then warm it back up and flood part of the substrate thus increasing humidity just like what happens in the Spring. After that you will get a sac if you are lucky

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just tried pairing them again... its very suspenseful, my legs were shaking the whole time! Still haven't quite stopped shaking...
I found a few videos on youtube of how the mating was supposed to look, and also some "mating gone bad" videos, so I could tell the difference. When she went after him, it was in the good way, not like she wanted to eat him. He still ran off, and she chased after him. I don't quite feel safe leaving them together unsupervised, so I'm going to try shark caging, if I can find a suitable container to put him in that will fit inside a 5.5 gallon tank. She seems totally interested in him. He's just being shy.