Need some advice on DOA's

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can pretty much forget whether it took a day, two days or a week to arrive... he put the heatpack IN the container with the T?? It was probably dead within an hour. Poor thing, what a way to go :(

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The seller should definately refund you, especially since you paid express. That right there has guaranteed live arrival written all over it. Regardless of what he shipped, you paid for express so that alone get you a refund, it's his fault he shipped priority. I, myself, guarantee live arrival with express and priority because I am very confident in my shipping and have had very good success rates.

In the end, you SHOULD get a refund, not buts about it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are these pics at all indicative of how they were shipped? ie without proper padding, just loose in the containers?

If so maybe you could direct the seller to some threads here about packing t's. Although it can be heart stoppingly exhilerating with certain spp, packing t's isn't really THAT hard. Especially if you don't have extreme temps to worry about as in spring and fall.

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are these pics at all indicative of how they were shipped? ie without proper padding, just loose in the containers?

If so maybe you could direct the seller to some threads here about packing t's. Although it can be heart stoppingly exhilerating with certain spp, packing t's isn't really THAT hard. Especially if you don't have extreme temps to worry about as in spring and fall.
Yep those pics was taken right after taking them out of the PO box. Yeah the only paper towel that was used was what you can see in the bottom pic with the female. The male had nothing in it except the heat pack that he's glued to. I am planning on directing the seller to the threads for packing.

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I just want to say that we have been refunded by the seller for this horiffic ordeal. I'll be posting in the feedback section later when I have more time. Again thanks for all the feedback...:)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep those pics was taken right after taking them out of the PO box. Yeah the only paper towel that was used was what you can see in the bottom pic with the female. The male had nothing in it except the heat pack that he's glued to. I am planning on directing the seller to the threads for packing.
OMG!, That is totally wrong, and we have SO MANY!! treads on 'HOW TO' pack and ship tarantulas
Sorry for your bad experience

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can pretty much forget whether it took a day, two days or a week to arrive... he put the heatpack IN the container with the T?? It was probably dead within an hour. Poor thing, what a way to go :(
Yep they never had a fighting chance!!!

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah this is why insuring T's through the PO is a joke...IHMO.
Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if packages get treated somewhat better when they have a label on them saying that they are insured. Perhaps if the PO thinks that they will have to take a loss if contents are damaged, then perhaps they don't bang those particular packages around as much?

Whatever the case, I agree with everyone else that the seller is 100% at fault and liable.

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if packages get treated somewhat better when they have a label on them saying that they are insured.

Our box was labeled that it had insurance...but this wasn't the PO's fault, because they were goners within no time, based on packing.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is completely against USPS policy to ship tarantulas. full stop. any manager or local branch or whatever that says it is fine is stupid and woefully uninformed. full stop.

trying to get a refund out of the USPS cuz your spiders died could get you and the sender in big trouble. if the local branch escalates up you eventually will run across someone who can read their own rules and then you are busted ;)

yes, i know the OP got a refund from the sender and all... but somethings need to be stated clearly for ppl who might read this thread later.

i have said it before and i will say it again... there are no known legal ways to ship tarantulas in the USA. find me the rules ON THE WEBSITE of a shipping service that clearly states that tarantulas and other venomous inverts that i can call and confirm on all levels (except bees. also some scorps (can't remember if live or dead) can be sent to or between scientific institutions) and i will paypal you $20 (but give me a month or so to make good. and only the first person to bring the evidence to light will get the moola. and there will only be one winner =P )

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those vagans appear to be quite large, they could have probably survived easily for over a month "lost in the mail" and been just fine. No doubt the cause of their deaths was an extreme case of negligence.
I feel really bad for the spiders and for you as well what a terrible thing to have to open the box and see.

Last edited:

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Wow, I have never mailed any T's and even I know how to pack one right. Maybe this can be a learning experience, though. The seller may figure out how to do it right next time, and with some proper shipping techniques could turn out to be quite reliable.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As most everyone has stated the seller owes you a refund. Thats got to be the worst packing job I have ever seen,the T.s never had a chance. :wall: Could you please do a review of the seller so I can be sure to never buy from them. I love the lame reason " I was in a hurry" what a pitifull excuse ! :mad:

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those vagans appear to be quite large, they could have probably survived easily for over a month "lost in the mail" and been just fine. No doubt the cause of their deaths was an extreme case of negligence.
I feel really bad for the spiders and for you as well what a terrible thing to have to open the box and see.
Yeah I agree...they both were around the 4" mark. Proper packing would have saved 'em. Yeah my jaw hit the floor when I open the box...!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Edit; Wrong Andrew.

Last edited:

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it was someone new it wouldnt suprise me. I actually had T's sent to me in a ziplc with pp towels inside in a manilla envelope. The sender was 13.....;) And claimed to be 24. If it was a member with more than afew T's, they knew what they were doing, and the t's were either dead or dying. I can see a damp clot of pp towel smashing a T, but with a brachy.....only mechanical damage would kill them in the mail if they were in good health.

Ziploc bag...cheap packing..hey :rolleyes: The seller claims this was his first attempt at shipping T's. Honestly I hadn't thought of the fact that they could have been dying...on there last leg, the male was supposed to be a molt away from maturing. Female not sure on age. Seems kinda stupid to try and pull this one, but I guess people do it.

Don&SallysZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your in the US right? Andrew is allegedly in Canada......hmmmm. If you did some research on him before buying you might not of had the reaction you did upon reciept of the animals, biet not right, you would of been expecting. Given all his past purchases he has seen how inverts were packed, you took a risk by not researching, and he shipped VERY badly if not intentionally so. Sounds like both parties have something to be sorry for.
Yeah I'm in the US. I don't know, but our box was shipped from the East Coast here in the US. Why would someone intentionally ship badly :?

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am the shipper in this instance.I do not know who this Andrew is in Canada, but I have never lived or shipped anything from there.I welcome all your feedback,but I will not argue here, as the situation is at rest and I have post a reply in my own review, if people want to know my stance,however it may or may not sway the outcome of all of this.If you did a search for my posts within this site, you would find, I am a caring and intelligent keeper, who goes through great lenghts to treat my animals well.This was fluke and very embarassing and disappointing incident to have on my reputation.I have done all I can to rectify things,and I know I will be told by many that there is a plethora of good packing information on here.All I can say, is I felt confident that I knew how to pack the ts for thier journey and really botched it.I have learned from it and hope that is enough to maintain the persona I try to present,when I post,buy,and sell here.Thanks everyone.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as I know. Andrew is in mcsherrystown...PA. About 5 hrs from here. He has learned from this experience. He is a nice guy and deserves another chance.

Last edited: