Need info

acrudy

Arachnopeon
Alright i wanna kinda sorta start a roach colony, Iv heard dubia are the most popular or something like that im basically clueless here so someone please fill me in. What do i house them in, do they stink, do they escape, are the loud, do they bite, can i maintain a small colony, how much does it cost to have them, anything would be fantastic
Thanks!
Alex

Krazy Kat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll be honest with ya and I am not being rude as some will be.If you type dubia in the search bare you'll get loads of info.....Your better off to start a roach colony it's easy and they don't smell like crickets,you'll be glad you did...

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As stated above, you'll definitely be glad you did, compared to cricket-raising. I keep my dubia colony in a plastic tote w/lid. They can't climb up the plastic sides, but I placed a strip of shipping tape along the inside rim, just in case. Place some egg crates inside for them to hang out in and small food dishes to keep feeding mess to a minimum. They don't stink, at least not that bad. They're not noisy, don't bite, and won't escape unless you're really careless. And they're pretty inexpensive to maintain. I feed my colony fruits, leftover greens, old bread, dried cat food...basically whatever leftovers I have that I know they'll eat. More info can definitely be found in the "Insects and Other Invertebrates" forum of this site.