Need info on TRAPDOOR SPIDERS HELP!!!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi, I am going to be getting a red or black trapdoor spider. I know tha you never see them but it would be cool to see them eat anyways. Can somebody give me some care info. I know they need a deep substarte, I will use peat/soil mix. Do you need to spray them? Should it be dry? Can I keep mine in a pet pal?(the tall ones?
Any info is appreciated

David Cooper

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately, you rarely get to see them eat either. The vibrations that happen when you open the container usually insures that they are going stay below fo awhile.

One thing I like to do is house them in round container like a large jar. Then I find annother, narrower jar or container (I've even used a soda or beer can) and put this upside down in the larger jar. Then I fill in around the space between the two containers with dirt. This forces the spider to dig its burrow next to the glass. You can then kind of see the spider when it's in the burrow, but the silk it uses will somewhat obscure the view. Kepping this part coveredwith a piece of black paper will help keep the spider from covering it up too much.

I usually just moisten the soil around the top a little when I feed (once a week).

Wade

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a black trapdoor who doesn't burrow. it has deep substrate, and out of desperation, i gave it a hide. i have a small dip cup (stolen from a restaurant my friend works at) buried in the substrate to 1/4 inch above the substrate. also, she eats crickets just fine! can't figure out the no-burrowing thing, however. :? have had her @ 1 month.

Kristin